Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs and Societies Awards 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

So those at hustings, how did it go?
    For Comp Soc & the everyone else? Any particular stand outs?

First one I haven't gone to in four years...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

I don't know why they never record them!
    I'm going to get the ball rolling

New improved Club

Men's Rugby - seemed unrehearsed but should have done well if they rehearsed
    Parkour - They really need to stop making parkour videos. Presentation last year was fantastic but the video killed them. Video wasn't as lethal this year, much better that they started with the video. Couldn't hear what people were saying all too well.
    Trampoline - very good presentation

Prediction: Trampoline

New improved Society

Computer - The president talked and a game dev guy talked after. English wasn't the president's first language and it reduced the impact of what was a solid presentation.
    Journalism - Powerful voice, some funny jokes.
    Out in UL - Started well and ended well.

Prediction: Journalism

Close race between Journalism and Out in UL but I think Journalism did the (slightly) better presentation on the night

Best event Club

Karate - Seemed like a holiday, wasn't until about 2 mins and 30 seconds in they showed a clip of karate. Prior to that it was scenary from Japan and them sightseeing. Presentation was quite good because of the video they had done.
    Kayak - Seemed good, was funny every now and then.
    OPC - Grand, nothing springs to my mind about it

Prediction: Karate as the video was impressive but I would prefer Kayak to win as the presentation itself was about them actually kayaking.

Best event Society

International - A week is now 8 days in the eyes of international society, soon to be 14 days next year.... Too much information about too many different events (they had 8 days worth of events as best event...) so didn't have much impact.
    Out in UL - Kept repeating the guests they had, but good presentation
    Poker - Solid presentation, nothing spectacular

Prediction: Out in UL

Best individual Club

Karate - Solid presentation, nothing spectacular
    OPC - Funny presentation, well thought out.
    Windsurfing - Some problems with starting it, solid presentation

Prediction: OPC

Best individual Society

International - Lots of pictures of the individual on a night out, could have focused more about the individuals work and achievements
    Out in UL - Good presentation, some funny moments. Just thought it could have been better.
    Poker - Solid presentation

Prediction: Poker

Best Club

Karate - Weak voice so didn't come across very well.
    OPC - Nothing memorable, I say this because I can't remember much about this presentation. I felt it was average
    Windsurfing - Some nice videos, went over time but due to a video freeze for a few seconds during the presentation. Solid presentation

Prediction: Windsurfing

Best society

Drama - Loved the dig at international society! "We don't have a drama department on campus to fund our activities". Solid presentation
    International - Mostly pictures of nights out. Talked about TGIF as if everyone knew all the information about it, which brought down the impact of the presentation in general. The australian guy who took over half way saved the presentation.
    Poker - Solid presentation

Prediction: Drama. I would say a close race between Drama and Poker but after seeing 2 slides previously about poker (and international), seeing drama was a nice change.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

reunion wrote: »

New improved Club

Trampoline - very good presentation

Sound for that ....... Woo Hoo - c'mon the Tramps :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

DJCR wrote: »
    Sound for that ....... Woo Hoo - c'mon the Tramps :-)

booooooo:p

come on rugby:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭johnryano

how is men's rugby a new club? is this ul bohemians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

johnryano wrote: »
    how is men's rugby a new club? is this ul bohemians?

no, UL rugby. The award is for best new or improved club

ah right. what's happened there with ul bohemians and all that?

ah right. what's happened there with ul bohemians and all that?

UL Bohemians are a rugby club outside of the college.
    http://www.ulbohs.com/

You don't have to be a student to play with them and they don't come under clubs & socs.

the UL rugby club is just a student team same as you have the Womens Rugby club which is another separate club.

It was my understanding that UL Bohemian is a AIL rugby club which is formed by students from UL as well as people from the general limerick area. As a club in the aIL they are entitled to play any member. Dublin University (Trinity) and UCD (UCD) to the exact same thing and compete in the AIL.

Obviously something has changed and UL rugby has broken away from UL Bohemian and started up as a real college club again. I wonder what league they play in, probably a j1?

It was my understanding that UL Bohemian is a AIL rugby club which is formed by students from UL as well as people from the general limerick area. As a club in the aIL they are entitled to play any member. Dublin University (Trinity) and UCD (UCD) to the exact same thing and compete in the AIL.

Obviously something has changed and UL rugby has broken away from UL Bohemian and started up as a real college club again. I wonder what league they play in, probably a j1?

Students who play for UL Bohs cant represent their home club aswell. They can only represent one or the other. By playing with the college team they can still play with their home club.
    From looking at UL Bohs history they have been in existence since 1922. From what i'm reading the connection between Bohs & UL more has to do with the setting up of the Boh's academy back in '99/'00. Haven't seen anywhere on their site where they have mentioned an actual college team playing. (Well from going through their Club Profile anyway)

• Advertisement

when UL bohs played dcu etc. in games they would field a pure college team etc.

UL mens rugby plays in the colleges league(we got the q finals of the A division this year). You have to be a registered student to play in the colleges team.

UL bohs are an AIl div1b rugby team. You have to be a registered member of their club to play for them

Bohs players can play for UL and visa versa as they are too completely different types of teams. Its like the division between schools and club at underage

how long is ul rugby about?

iirc 2006 but im probably going to be corrected on that

how is that a 'new' then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

how is that a 'new' then?
    Improved

I'm going to get the ball rolling

Nobody else any predictions?

If not... Lifetime achievement awards; predictions anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Nobody else any predictions?

Might as well throw a few in the mix.

Societies
    Best Soc: Close call between Drama and Poker.
    Best New/Improved Soc: Journalism. Hands down.
    Best Soc Event: Queerbash 8.
    Best Soc Individual: I'll be genuinely shocked if Dan Fox didn't win this. The amount of work he put in was phenomenal.

Clubs
    Best Club: OPC or Windsurfing. Too close to call.
    Best New/Improved Club: Trampoline.
    Best Club Event: Scotland Trip (OPC). It was a decent achievement made by the lads.
    Best Club Individual: Rose Barrett. Without question.

Just my personal thoughts, not those of the Music Soc. Also don't take it as an indication of how we voted on the night. (I can't even remember what we voted for! :pac:)

New improved Club

New improved Society

Prediction: Journalism

Best event Club

Prediction: Kayak

Best event Society

Prediction: International

Best individual Club

Prediction: OPC

Best individual Society

Prediction: Internationa

Best Club

Prediction: Windsurfing

Best society

Prediction: Drama

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

New / improved Club

Men's Rugby - Could have been a very good presentation. Made a joke about Rugby players being in car crashes which in my opinion was in poor taste.

Parkour - Video was quite poor looked like a lot of kids jumping over walls, presentation was a bit better but still has room for major improvements.

Trampoline - Great presentation showing the improvements in the club.

Prediction: Trampoline, hands down possibly the only straightforward pick of the evening.

New improved Society

Computer - Found it hard as a lay person to understand some of the things they were talking about. While the president seemed quite knowledgeable it was hard to follow, but seemed like a good presentation.

Journalism - Excellent presentation, showed what they had done over the last year and made some excellent jokes.

Out in UL - Great presentation, shows how this group is helping Limerick to become more open.

Prediction: Tough call between Journalism and Out in UL. The Jokes from Journalism may have swayed votes.

Best event Club

Karate - A good presentation was destroyed by music being too loud.

Kayak - Technical blips seemed to pop up again, did well to recover. Looked like a good trip.

OPC - Enjoyed the OPC trip presentation the most, interesting to see how they responded to people going missing and putting training into practice.

Prediction: Between OPC and Kayaking, tight call between all three but the music destroyed Karate unfortunately. I'll guess Kayaking won this won.

Best event Society

International - Focused on only a few aspects of the event from what sounds like a great event, good presentation but nerves were obvious.

Out in UL - Again a very strong presentation, Queerbash seemed like a fantastic event but the presentation focused too much on the performers.

Poker - Quite a boring presentation, but showed the effort that went into getting a free poker game ready for unknown numbers of players.

Prediction: Out in UL or International society. Probably Out in UL

Best individual Club

Karate - Good presentation and shows the karate club can produce talented martial artists who are all around good blokes.

OPC - Good presentation and would kinda make you want to join OPC for the banter in it.

Windsurfing - Good presentation, showed Rose as an excellent member of the clubs and socs.

Prediction: OPC for the sheer hilarity of it, but Windsurfing a close second.

Best individual Society

International - Enjoyed the presentation, like i've enjoyed some Friday nights. Computers seemed to be a problem though with sound in this one as well, but they just turned off the sound in the end which I think benefited the speaker.

Out in UL - Also enjoyed this presentation, and very surprised to discover how young the guy is considering everything he's achieved.

Poker - Made the candidate sound very dedicated even when he was just an ordinary member. Poker's best presentation of the night.

Prediction: Tight call. I would guess Niall from Out in UL.

Best Club

Karate - Tough to hear, but made a good presentation and showed how strong the club is.

OPC - Enjoyed the presentation, showed the difficulties the club went through without a climbing wall and the skills that their members have as trainers.

Windsurfing - Good presentation, enjoyed it but found again technology acted up with the video.

Prediction: Very tough call on this. I'm honestly not sure which I think will win.

Best society

Drama - In my opinion this was a brutal performance. One of the presenters said in their speech 'our members had to learn off lines', while reading from a script in a fairly monotonous tone, which was pretty ridiculous. As the Drama soc i expected so much more, something extravagant rather than aimless digs at other societies. I would have liked to have seen them use their dramatic skills to own the room. If done properly they would probably have won.

International - First half of the presentation was full of facts of what had happened and quite mundane, but when the Aussie took over it went up a few notches and was quite a touching speech. Also got a few laughs from his misuse of 'craic' and using the term 'shift'. First half ok, second half excellent.

Poker - Good presentation, but I was disappointed by their recycling of photographs from their previous presentation. This should have been their best presentation but I felt it just lacked as we'd heard everything they had to say already in the previous two presentations. Still a solid presentation from the speakers, but at this stage the crowd seemed restless and it was hard to hear the end of the presentation.

Prediction: Close call between them all, but I think that Australian may have won it for the International society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tenby

Best New/Improved Club

Mens Rugby – Joke about crashes was horrifying and not in the least bit entertaining.

Parkour – It’s clear thet the guys worked really hard, presentationa wasn’t the best. They did make a good effort though nerves were obvious.

Tramps – Seemed to have had a great year and looked like a fun bunch of people.

Prediction – Def not mens rugby just cos of the poor tasting joke. Parkour were slightly beaten by the tramps just because the presentation was better.

Best New/Improved Soc

Skynet – You could see that the boys had really done great things over the year but it was difficult enough to understand. Was expecting something entertaining and a bit of sh*t stirring but unfortunately not. Maybe Brian Stewart would have saved it if he had been up there?

Journalism – Didn’t even know they existed until I saw this. The fella speaking was great, very funny, confident and powerful voice. It was clear he was comfortable and used his media/presenting skills to his advantage. It seemed wishy washy enough though as regards what they have planned and done. All they did was one trip and have articles and magazines in the works.

Out in UL – Informative presentation but seemed a bit monotonous and boring. Maybe that’s just because I’m not that interested in them as a society but it doesn’t stand out as a winner in this category.

Prediction – Journalism are the clear winner here. The others seemed to have done more work over the year but the man in Journalism won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

It bothers me somewhat that 2 of the 3 events put in for best club event are foreign trips.

I've nothing against clubs and societies going on trips abroad, as it can allow them to avail of facilities and participate in events they don't have access to at home, which is great for development of the club.

However, to me the awards should be about rewarding C&S who have done the most to promote ULSU C&S and UL generally among the Irish population i.e. who has done the best job of selling our activities to prospective students and staff.

To me, the second most important role any club or society plays (after the primary one of promoting their chosen activity) is to promote the University and the SU and attract students (and to a lesser degree staff) to the University.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Chimaera wrote: »
    It bothers me somewhat that 2 of the 3 events put in for best club event are foreign trips.

I've nothing against clubs and societies going on trips abroad, as it can allow them to avail of facilities and participate in events they don't have access to at home, which is great for development of the club.

However, to me the awards should be about rewarding C&S who have done the most to promote ULSU C&S and UL generally among the Irish population i.e. who has done the best job of selling our activities to prospective students and staff.

To me, the second most important role any club or society plays (after the primary one of promoting their chosen activity) is to promote the University and the SU and attract students (and to a lesser degree staff) to the University.

The best event was set up as it describes, the best event. It can be absolutely anything. There have been charity events, trips in Ireland, trips abroad, it's really whatever you make of it.

Maybe the promotion aspect of the event for the University/SU/Attract students could be added in as section for a nomination next year?

The best event was set up as it describes, the best event. It can be absolutely anything. There have been charity events, trips in Ireland, trips abroad, it's really whatever you make of it.

Maybe the promotion aspect of the event for the University/SU/Attract students could be added in as section for a nomination next year?

All 3 events were foreign.

Tbh it's just the current trend in clubs and societies, people feel their best event is the foreign trip (and aren't submitting something unless it's a foreign trip) and it has just become a submission for best foreign trip.

Hopefully people will submit more things next year and then we can go back to having a mix of irish and foreign trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

All 3 events were foreign.

Tbh it's just the current trend in clubs and societies, people feel their best event is the foreign trip (and aren't submitting something unless it's a foreign trip) and it has just become a submission for best foreign trip.

Hopefully people will submit more things next year and then we can go back to having a mix of irish and foreign trips.

I meant as in in the past there have been events that have not been foreign that have one. In the last 3 years even. But I do like the idea of perhaps being criteria in some way shape or form for how the event enhances the UL/SU name etc etc. Would need to be thrashed out properly though.

Two years ago it was an irish trip that won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Rule of thumb:
    Best Club Event = Trip
    Best Soceity Event = Event (:pac:)
    -Exception: International Society thinks a series of events combined in one week is an event.

Next year... International Month! :rolleyes:

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Rule of thumb:
    Best Club Event = Trip
    Best Soceity Event = Event (:pac:)
    -Exception: International Society thinks a series of events combined in one week is an event.

Next year... International Month! :rolleyes:

I really don't know how or why it is allowed to submit a series of events as one event.

It's actually disgraceful! The food fair even won best event one year (on it's own) but all of a sudden it's not an event.... unless it's backed up by 7 more events on different days....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

Well Seachtain na Gaeilge is one 'week' over 12 days and inter varsities are over numerous days sometimes. trips where you visit different places are one event (did you pay attention to any of the club events? They were over a number of days and included a number of different things).

It's all well and good to criticize, but just pay attention that if you pick at one event people can find the same flaws in others. International week seemed to be ok last year. Even if you look at events at the nationals you'll see most are similar.

If you can't beat em, join em lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Cadroc wrote: »

Does that mean any Club/Society can run <name of club/society> weekmonth and it can count as one event for hustings?

It's very far fetched to claim it's all the one event. What's the commonality of it all?

• Advertisement

Cadroc wrote: »
    Well Seachtain na Gaeilge is one 'week' over 12 days and inter varsities are over numerous days sometimes. trips where you visit different places are one event (did you pay attention to any of the club events? They were over a number of days and included a number of different things).

It's all well and good to criticize, but just pay attention that if you pick at one event people can find the same flaws in others. International week seemed to be ok last year. Even if you look at events at the nationals you'll see most are similar.

Actually if you look at intervarsities or weekend events such as brocon, they have 1 organising committee and a set entry fee for people. Things operate under the same venue with the same theme. If you read the international week submission, they had two activities on one day in different parts of the country (Belfast and limerick).

What I feel makes a mockery of the awards is the fact that the food fair won best event. Now its only a small part of an event which isnt right, particularly since the event hasn't changed much.

Advertisement