Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abu Dhabi

Options
  • 01-03-2012 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

I see 3 of Ireland top triathletes will be toeing the line in Abu Dhabi on Sat

Bryan McCrystal
    Liam Dolan
    Owen Martin

Format is 3k,200k,20k

Who will smash Abu Dhabi and be first Irish across the line? 11 votes

LCD
    0%
    Izoard
    27%
    d4r3ntunneyhf4z6sqo7vjngi 3 votes
    Owen Martin
    27%
    RacoonQueengriffin100asimonov 3 votes
    Matt Molloy
    18%
    NeedsTrainingsconhome 2 votes
    Brian McCrystal
    27%
    El DirectorFazzshotgunmcos 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Izoard aint going to be happy he's not on your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Izoard
    Dundalk - the town that the recession has yet to hit :)

Izoard
    McCrystal on Slowtwitch photos for day one of the race too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

What are the temps out there at the moment? 40+?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Brian McCrystal
    Matt Molloy also heading over

• Advertisement

Izoard
    Matt Molloy also heading over

Why is the bloke from Strawberry Alarm Clock going?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

mloc123 wrote: »
    What are the temps out there at the moment? 40+?

News just in from Izoard:

Right...made it! Just as well - bike is in rag order...:eek:

Wall-to-wall pros wandering around and very friendly.

Also the cream of Irish talent - was sitting at a table with LCD, Owen Martin, Bryan McC and Matt Molloy...spot the odd one out:)

Temp expected to be 28 C on Sat - however, it feels waaayyy hotter between 11-3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭Bambaata

This thread needs a poll on who people think will have the fastest time ;-) Should be interesting, hopefully there's decent tracking

Brian McCrystal
    Bambaata wrote: »
    This thread needs a poll on who people think will have the fastest time ;-) Should be interesting, hopefully there's decent tracking
    Done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

LCD?

• Advertisement

BMC for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Brian McCrystal
    I think it will be close.
    Matt Molloy for the Swim prime obviously.
    BMC for the Bike Prime. Maybe Owen Martin close? I know Liam Dolan known for Bike also but not sure how close it'll be there?
    Run - Owen Martin? BMC?

With a 200k Bike, 20k run and calm waters I can't look past BMC.
    Whatever he loses in the water he will recover on the bike, and he's running fast.

However it's all down to heat management also, and nutrition of course.

Should be good that's for sure, hope they all do very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Bryan McCrystal
    Liam Dolan
    Matt Molloy
    Owen martin
    Izoard

in that order

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Its a very interesting one alright. BMC might be helped by going in the Pro field as he could get pulled along with the bikers if he's out of the water close. That said these guys are all very experienced so i would imagine they can pace themselves very well. BMC for me anyway. 200k bike is a monster distance and his running seems to be flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Bryan McCrystal
    Liam Dolan
    Matt Molloy
    Owen martin
    Izoard

in that order

Gutted!

Busy removing a couple of cables from LCDs Look at the moment....

Izoard
    Izoard wrote: »
    Gutted!

Busy removing a couple of cables from LCDs Look at the moment....

Oh no. Not the Look cabling......................

Izoard
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Its a very interesting one alright. BMC might be helped by going in the Pro field as he could get pulled along with the bikers if he's out of the water close. That said these guys are all very experienced so i would imagine they can pace themselves very well. BMC for me anyway. 200k bike is a monster distance and his running seems to be flying.

This is basically a bike race, a 200k TT with a swim warm up and run cool down.

Brian McCrystal
    Voted Matt Molloy. He will be first out on the road and I reckon BmcC and LCD will come through in that order. He won't lose much to LCD and will pip him over the 20k run. BmcC will suffer on the run if he hammers the bike in that heat and Owen Martin running fastest of the 4 will close the gap but run out of road to make an impression...

Hope they all race well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

Owen Martin
    I voted for Izoard so he wouldn't feel neglected and upset by his fellow Boardsies going into this race. And also because if conditions are tough then I think there's a chance that all these lightweight thoroughbreds may suffer and drop out whilst the cart horse plods on...........oh and I've also put next months mortgage payment on Ireland to beat France this weekend :D

Voted Matt Molloy. He will be first out on the road and I reckon BmcC and LCD will come through in that order. He won't lose much to LCD and will pip him over the 20k run. BmcC will suffer on the run if he hammers the bike in that heat and Owen Martin running fastest of the 4 will close the gap but run out of road to make an impression...

Hope they all race well

I'm not sure on that and the only reason I'm unsure is because from what I've read Matt is treating this as a training event and seems to be going in to it off a heavy training load. Plus he has been working all week over there too. Ordinarily I would agree with you but I'm not 100% sure. I think it will be a close one. Pity they aren't off in the same wave.

LCD could be a dark horse though. He's some biker and from what I hear he can suffer and just keep going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

griffin100 wrote: »
    I voted for Izoard so he wouldn't feel neglected and upset by his fellow Boardsies going into this race. And also because if conditions are tough then I think there's a chance that all these lightweight thoroughbreds may suffer and drop out whilst the cart horse plods on...........oh and I've also put next months mortgage payment on Ireland to beat France this weekend :D

I have all the above posts pasted to the hotel room wall, feeding the hunger...:)

Hope they all race well

Hard to see it tbh . I believe BMC will put about 20 mins into Molloy on the bike and about 10 into LCD. Over 180k i have their bike splits at 4.30 (BMC) 4.40(LCD) and 4.50(molloy). ..& add another 20k of time to that. Molloy will be 6-8 mins faster in the water than BMC and about 10-12 mins faster than LCD. Thats assuming BMC nails his nutrition as i believe its his first time going long. Cant see BMC giving up 12-14 mins on the run. the real race will be between Molloy & LCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Izoard
    LCD for me, cannot see him being too far off BMC on the bike. Both are savage bikers. He takes it on the run with a few k to go. Molloy third, Martin 4th and Izoard will be stopped midway through the bike for taking EPO:)

This is on the list of races i would like to do, helps we have friends living over there to keep accom costs down.

Molloy is over rated, BMC will easily beat him.

All the talk last year about Molloy setting a new Irish record, he didn't even finish as the first 'Irish' person.

LCD for me, cannot see him being too far off BMC on the bike. Both are savage bikers. He takes it on the run with a few k to go. Molloy third, Martin 4th and Izoard will be stopped midway through the bike for taking EPO:)

This is on the list of races i would like to do, helps we have friends living over there to keep accom costs down.
    Ill take your money Fran...4 pints in gleesons being the wager. bmc over lcd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Izoard
    Ill take your money Fran...4 pints in gleesons being the wager. bmc over lcd

Done

mloc123 wrote: »
    Molloy is over rated, BMC will easily beat him.

All the talk last year about Molloy setting a new Irish record, he didn't even finish as the first 'Irish' person.

He did in Kona though! Plus he beat BMC handily in Galway 70.3

Brian McCrystal
    pgibbo wrote: »
    He did in Kona though! Plus he beat BMC handily in Galway 70.3

Beat me to it :) Agree he is coming off a heavy block which included a 75 half marathon and this is a training event. BmcC has a real advantage going as PRO and has the biggest bike output. I just question his ability to balance it over 200km and still run sub 6 minute/mile pace off it. I've no doubt he has the pedigree though with some IMs under his belt. I have LCD ahead of him on this one and if he has a really good swim and catches Molloy before T2 it could be interesting

Izoard

Hope they all race well

Based on previous races by MM.

Good swim. Fantastic first 100km on the bike, not so great second 100km. Blow on the run :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Brian McCrystal
    Beat me to it :) Agree he is coming off a heavy block which included a 75 half marathon and this is a training event. BmcC has a real advantage going as PRO and has the biggest bike output. I just question his ability to balance it over 200km and still run sub 6 minute/mile pace off it. I've no doubt he has the pedigree though with some IMs under his belt. I have LCD ahead of him on this one and if he has a really good swim and catches Molloy before T2 it could be interesting

BMC is the 100Mile TT Irish Champ right?

And his Galway 70.3 bike was some 10mins faster than MM I think.
    The only reason he wasn't in the top 5 in that race is due to cold/circumstance issues where afaik he had no arm warmers and nearly froze on the bike and barely remembers the last half of the race.
    His run was 1:36 odd that day, easily 10+ mins off his norm pace.
    Think he ran a sub 1:20 half on it's own a few weeks later.

SA70.3 was pretty damn solid too barring puncture.

With those credentials, and off with the Pro wave it's gotta be his race imo.

Anyway, abu is 4 hours ahead, race start is 6:40am ish so by the time we get up we'll have a few answers...
    http://www.premiertiming.com/live/adit2012/
    http://www.tri247.com/article_9752_Abu+Dhabi+2012%3A+live+race+coverage.html?region_id=&category=abudhabi

Advertisement