Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened on 95fm with Derek Daly?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭johnryano

That's shocking. they could hardly have enjoyed the loud music and people pestering them. that's genuinely sickening. Who is in charge of booking this? the ents guy who got a ginger strip dyed onto his head? going to have serious words with him and who ever allowed those animals to be 'rented' out like this. blood disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nobby13

Does anyone else think that this isn't the way the university should be represented? The issue at hand is that the president has not represented us on a radio show. The Presidents job is to represent us. The president needs to grow up and not worry about a petty issue, when larger issues are at hand, take the higher road and represent the students because that was disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

I'm with nobby on this one, Derek is elected to defend and represent us, he was brought on that show to do that very thing,I fail to see what he was trying to achieve by the way he conducted himself. As a student I'm very disappointed in the way he conducted himself and in my view has only added to the bad image that is put out there at the moment

Also going back on a few posts there about owners of dog not cleaning up after them, this has been something that has annoyed for sometime now. Its disgusting how bad the living bridge can get... one of the maintenance guys hits the bridge every morning with his shovel at 9am to clean up after these dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Skyrim wrote: »
    You forgot the bit where some people seemed to be appalled at the sheep at the stables tuesday night.
    The sort of idiot who brings live sheep into a bar, especially a crowded campus bar during Rag week, is the sort of person who should either wise up (and quickly) or should never breed - the world doesn't need that sort of stupidity carried into another generation. It's as dumb as those "hilarious" plonkers in Dublin who decided to bring a penguin with them on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Just listened to the interview....I would have hung up too.

• Advertisement

That's why you'd never be elected and you don't deserve to be elected as SU president.

Would derek have done this in his first term as welfare officer in the SU? Would he have had the neck to hang up on a relatively big local radio station? Not at all.

Derek was busy. The radio tried ringing him. They didn't get through. He rang back but didn't get through. The radio producer said he was 'gone to ground'. Derek denied the implication he was hiding rather proclaimed he just had been busy and not contacted at the right time. Derek very brazenly and stubbornly demanded the radio retract and apologise for their relatively fair declaration. They were in the right not to - derek couldn't categorically prove he wasn't putting the radio on the long finger. Derek's demeanour and attitude on the phone indicated he was too important for it too. Summary - they were entitled to say. what they said. Was he entitled to hang up? Derek daly FFer was but Derek Daly SU Pres wasn't.

I don't see how anyone can see this any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

johnryano wrote: »
    That's why you'd never be elected and you don't deserve to be elected as SU president.

Awh damn, there goes my plan for next year!! :(

good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Anybody have any recordings of the Clare FM broadcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 colon

Is poor Derek falling asunder? Methinks he has spent too long wrapped in his little su cocoon, and now all we have left is this smug, self important, petulant mouth-piece. The way he chooses to carry himself within the university is one thing, but the president of the union going onto the airwaves acting like a spoilt child over a perceived slight only succeeds to undermine himself and his position even more. cringe radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

I don't see how anyone can see this any other way.
    I can....
    Wow, so what you're saying is that hanging up on an interviewer who basically makes the suggestion that you are too afraid to come on air and that you are actively avoiding it is a hangable offence now?
    Would derek have done this in his first term as welfare officer in the SU? Would he have had the neck to hang up on a relatively big local radio station? Not at all.
    Not in any way relevant. He is the SU President to which he was democratically elected.
    Derek was busy. The radio tried ringing him. They didn't get through. He rang back but didn't get through. The radio producer said he was 'gone to ground'. Derek denied the implication he was hiding rather proclaimed he just had been busy and not contacted at the right time. Derek very brazenly and stubbornly demanded the radio retract and apologise for their relatively fair declaration. They were in the right not to - derek couldn't categorically prove he wasn't putting the radio on the long finger. Derek's demeanour and attitude on the phone indicated he was too important for it too. Summary - they were entitled to say. what they said. Was he entitled to hang up? Derek daly FFer was but Derek Daly SU Pres wasn't.

I don't get how it is "brazen" to demand an apology when someone has very publicly painted you as a chickensh*t. It is NOT a fair declaration. It might be fair to wonder but NOT fair to declare it as fact.

Derek was not in the position where he had to prove anything! THEY made the statement, the burden of proof was not on him.

It amazes me that people take such a 2 dimensional view of these things. Personally I wouldn't hang up but I'm willing to look at it as Derek having the integrity to respect the office of SU president rather than just attacking him.

If you don't understand this issue the way i have presented it tony I have no faith in your ability to conduct yourself appropriately as education/welfare/president. I can assure you i will not be voting for you under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

I can understand your viewpoint on that issue. I just can't understand why it is people insist on viewing things from just one angle.

Yes, Derek is our representitive. No I don't agree that he should have hung up but I can understand why it is that he would. Personally, I don't feel underrepresented by my SU President because he felt insulted by a comment which pretty much summed up the mood of the interviewer in terms of obviously being ready to go on the attack.

WRT your democratic right to vote for who you want; that's completely your decision. Though why you would base that decision on a single point of disagreement I don't know.

OK, fair enough, at least you have the competence to understand both rationales. I can understand Derek's behaviour too, I just don't think it's justified. I think he should apologise for his comments.

If he was willing to go on radio and demand an apology for somebody misrepresenting him am i not entitled to demand an apology here for daly misrepesenting me?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Just to say, to the best of my knowledge, Derek will be on ULFM today between 1:15-2:00. Will definitely be putting some of the concerns raised here to him. [/shameless_plug]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Will he fill the time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

To me, I find the decision to hang up as silly because of this:

1) They say he won't go on the show to talk about the issues.

2) He goes on the show and demands an apology.

Now, this can go two ways. He can stay on the line, forget about an apology and stick to the real issue OR he can demand an apology from some radio host and hang up when none is given.

Doing the latter, he has only served to hold true to what the initial accusations were! The radio were spot on in what they said. Derek Daly would not talk about the issue on the air and that is exactly what has transpired.

Had he even discussed the issues briefly, he would have negated any accustions the radio show had and made them look at fault. He handles the ClareFM show so well and it was really disappointing to know that the significant portion of 95fm listeners came away with a sour taste of the ULSU and it's students.

got a taxi into down last night and the driver was telling me all about derek's performance. he wasn't too impressed.

got a taxi into down last night and the driver was telling me all about taxi's performance. he wasn't too impressed.

I lol'd

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Live now -> www.ulfm.ie

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Live now -> www.ulfm.ie

"Preaching to the choir" comes to mind.

Nockz wrote: »
    "Preaching to the choir" comes to mind.

Well we tried to be as impartial as possible. Whether we succeeded or not is up to ye to decide.
    Twill be up as a podcast whenever I get a chance to edit it. Hopefully this weekend.

Well we tried to be as impartial as possible. Whether we succeeded or not is up to ye to decide.
    Twill be up as a podcast whenever I get a chance to edit it. Hopefully this weekend.
    I was referring to the audience, not the content. Students know things weren't so bad this year.

Te greater Limerick populace? Not so much :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That's shocking. they could hardly have enjoyed the loud music and people pestering them. that's genuinely sickening. Who is in charge of booking this? the ents guy who got a ginger strip dyed onto his head? going to have serious words with him and who ever allowed those animals to be 'rented' out like this. blood disgrace.
    sceptre wrote: »
    The sort of idiot who brings live sheep into a bar, especially a crowded campus bar during Rag week, is the sort of person who should either wise up (and quickly) or should never breed - the world doesn't need that sort of stupidity carried into another generation. It's as dumb as those "hilarious" plonkers in Dublin who decided to bring a penguin with them on a night out.

Just on these notes lads I was there for a short while that night. The sheep were on their own in a very quiet corner of the smoking area (the place was dead anyway) being supervised by a sober qualified adult person. Now I didn't ask who he was but he seemed to definitely have his head about him and seemed to be in control if any situation arose

The sheep were not subject to any loud music at any point and actually looked rather at ease. There were a few girls crowded around the animals (the cuteness factor IMO) under the watchful eye of the supervisor. The animals seemed to enjoy this as much as the girls.

In short, no animals were harmed, or put in harms way, on that night.

Back to the topic in question;

I was listening to Derek Daly and Joe Nash there and it seems to me that while Derek was owed an apology it was not necessarily from Joe personally.

It sounded to me like Joe was miss-informed by the producers that were looking to talk to Derek on the Monday. Joe was only saying what he's being told to, he could however have been a bit more liberal on the matter.

Derek should, however have realised this and stated at the end of his interview that he would be looking for a formal written apology from Joe's production team (including Joe himself) Mr Daly should not have looked for an apology just from Joe.

For the record (so nobody thinks I'm being a fanboy) neither Joe nor Derek are high on my personal list of favourite people.

Nockz wrote: »
    I was referring to the audience, not the content. Students know things weren't so bad this year.

Te greater Limerick populace? Not so much :p

Ah, my bad. :) Yeah, think you're right about that. He made the point today that regardless of whether he'd given the interview or not, Live95Fm would have still got texts slamming the SU and RAG week. (In no way am I justifying him hanging up with this point, I just think it's a valid statement.)

bit of selective editing to make derek sound better? why don't you just throw it up unadulterated?

bit of selective editing to make derek sound better? why don't you just throw it up unadulterated?

No editing of content, just editing out songs to avoid any possible copyright infringement.

the other recordings don't do that

Which other recordings?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Not sure if you're referring to the one I did but I cut out the song at the end pretty much at the start.

Advertisement