Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Lance win Kona?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Are we doing predictions already?

Mine is: He won't start at Kona after getting injured in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

My prediction........

He'll be in the top three off the bike and onto the run course.......he'll get caught midway around the run pushing him into fourth......he'll then drop out due to injury (nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that he may have to take a test if he finishes outside of the top three).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Can we have this thread locked and the OP banned please MCOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

tunney wrote: »
    Can we have this thread locked and the OP banned please MCOS?
    OP ??:o sorry for been stupid

BennyMul wrote: »
    OP ??:o sorry for been stupid

Look at the mini marathon thread in the main ART board. That will seem logical and well balance and sane compared to how this thread will go by lunch time :)

• Advertisement

To clarify, my original comment was a joke.

BennyMul wrote: »
    an interesting article on the numbers it takes to win Kona.

http://53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=110

Out with the second pack. Of swimmers.

Himself and Lieto ride away from everyone.

Gets run down by one of the Raelert brothers with 6 miles to go. Finished >15 minutes off the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

:D at this stage of my aging life im not sensitive.

as for predictions dont know enough about the field to make an informed call.
    However if he gets to the start line, he will be ready to compete for a top spot.
    can he do it all will be known after IM France,

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

griffin100 wrote: »
    My prediction........
    (nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that he may have to take a test if he finishes outside of the top three).

I don't get this part of the discussion that's going on, maybe i'm naive. Surely he would be one of the most stupid people around if he was to use peds at this stage in his career - chasing a kona podium. Would it not be like David Beckham being caught using peds in order to help his side win the masters 5 a side competitions you try to avoid on sky sports in a winters evening??!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Im with you on that to an extent Notwitch but what i see some people suggesting is that if he did have years of PED's his body would be at a place it shouldn't be even now. This case will never close so people are always going to doubt him. Even if he didnt use the PEDs during his career he certainly had a massive amount pumped into him through his cancer and who knows this could have altered his body so much that once he recovered his body maintained the benefits of those drugs for his cancer battle.

• Advertisement

Notwitch wrote: »
    I don't get this part of the discussion that's going on, maybe i'm naive. Surely he would be one of the most stupid people around if he was to use peds at this stage in his career - chasing a kona podium. Would it not be like David Beckham being caught using peds in order to help his side win the masters 5 a side competitions you try to avoid on sky sports in a winters evening??!

It was a tounge in cheek comment really. Do I think he currently takes PEDs? No, unless he's used his millions of dollars to develop new ones that can't be detected :) Do I personally think he has taken them in the past? My belief, yes ( there are also some questions about the benefits of his cancer treatment). It's a hard sell to try and suggest he was the only clean winner of the tdf in the last 20 years. Passing drug tests does not mean that you don't take PEDS e.g. Millar never failed a drug test. Armstrong spent long enough working with Ferarrai to make him suspect. As was stated in a different thread, you don't loose the benefits of using PEDs when you stop using them.

But back to the OP's question, I think Tunney has it pretty spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Would a woman have made that joke, well would she :confused::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

LOL :D

My prediction is that he will emerge amongst the top 15 in the swim, whereapon Tunney will smash stuff with rage. Then he will move up to top 5 on the bike and Tunney will become violently ill. This will evolve into a spectacular fade on the run and he will be 'chicked' by most of the PRO women's field. Tunney will become increasingly delerious as he counts each age grouper that passes him over the last 10k....

He will jump for joy when it turns out the Lance is beaten by the top Irish AGer.

He will then return to being sick as Lance hogs every interview on every media for a week...

Would a woman have made that joke, well would she :confused::mad:

If she did ye would all have to laugh anyways, even if you didn't find it funny.

LOL :D

My prediction is that he will emerge amongst the top 15 in the swim, whereapon Tunney will smash stuff with rage. Then he will move up to top 5 on the bike and Tunney will become violently ill. This will evolve into a spectacular fade on the run and he will be 'chicked' by most of the PRO women's field. Tunney will become increasingly delerious as he counts each age grouper that passes him over the last 10k....

He will jump for joy when it turns out the Lance is beaten by the top Irish AGer.

He will then return to being sick as Lance hogs every interview on every media for a week...

I would expect him to be leading the bike by 90km. Lieto and himself going for a 1-2 Team Trek bike splits. So we don't disagree.

I also said I expected him to be second back out of the water. Which would be well with the top 15 as you say. So we still haven't disagreed.

Where we disagree is you seem to think he will blow worse than I think he will. I think he will post a top ten finish. 15 minutes or so after the winner but still a top ten. I do not think he will be chicked as I think in Chrissie's absence there will be alot less of PROs being chicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I would expect him to be leading the bike by 90km. Lieto and himself going for a 1-2 Team Trek bike splits. So we don't disagree.

I also said I expected him to be second back out of the water. Which would be well with the top 15 as you say. So we still haven't disagreed.

Where we disagree is you seem to think he will blow worse than I think he will. I think he will post a top ten finish. 15 minutes or so after the winner but still a top ten. I do not think he will be chicked as I think in Chrissie's absence there will be alot less of PROs being chicked.

Ah I was poking. Did you not sense the progressing farce of my theory :D Being passed by an Emerald a clue :)

I agree himself and Lieto working to put more distance on the rest than Lieto could do alone. Top 10 would be a big ask though. Be interesting to see how he gets on in whatever QF race he does

Ah I was poking. Did you not sense the progressing farce of my theory :D Being passed by an Emerald a clue :)

I agree himself and Lieto working to put more distance on the rest than Lieto could do alone. Top 10 would be a big ask though. Be interesting to see how he gets on in whatever QF race he does

Top Irish AGer in Kona will not be an Emerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Be interesting to see how he gets on in whatever QF race he does

Nice at the moment. It will be interesting to see how l'Equipe cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice at the moment. It will be interesting to see how l'Equipe cover it.

Do you think the amount of coverage he may get from the French press was one of the reasons he chose France?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Do you think the amount of coverage he may get from the French press was one of the reasons he chose France?

In fairness to him there I remember reading an interview with him a year or two ago and he did mention Nice would be a likely race if he ever went into Ironman as the difficulty of the bike there would give him an advantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

That and he's probably rubbing salt in the wounds of the French ;-)

Bambaata wrote: »
    That and he's probably rubbing salt in the wounds of the French ;-)

Just thought of something. Someone could enter and since its a mass start could start next to Armstrong and just thumb the sh1t out of him and put it down to "hey its a mass swim start"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

catweazle wrote: »

In fairness to him there I remember reading an interview with him a year or two ago and he did mention Nice would be a likely race if he ever went into Ironman as the difficulty of the bike there would give him an advantage

Doesn't he also have a house in Nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If Lance can beat cancer he can beat anything, a couple of splash, cycle, plod triathletes won't get in his way.

Just thought of something. Someone could enter and since its a mass start could start next to Armstrong and just thumb the sh1t out of him and put it down to "hey its a mass swim start"

I'm starting a send Tunney To Nice 2012 campaign here and now. All donations gratefully received.

I'd say it's probably because he can get up the hills of IM France much quicker than others and this will give him a head start on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

griffin100 wrote: »
    I'd say it's probably because he can get up the hills of IM France much quicker than others and this will give him a head start on the run.
    catweazle wrote: »

Thanks. Never thought of it like that, just think the worse of people sometimes :o

Advertisement