Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humbert Challenge

Options
  • 29-02-2012 4:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Just giving everyone the heads up that the Humbert challenge entries open tomorrow morning. Swinford Tri Sports.com for entries.
    Good luck to anyone doing the race.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I was going to give everyone a heads up once I got my own name down :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Good luck to all, i had hoped to do it but just haven't the time to get all that training done.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭MayoRoadRunner

Hi folks, just a heads up that we are open for entries

http://www.swinfordtrisports.com/contentPage/86789/race_entry

That's me signed up anyway. At least another 4 months of hard training ahead of me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 donmc

Hi all,
    Just woundering is there many people on here taken part in the Humbert this year? Hows training going etc???

• Advertisement

I'm taking part, training is ... meh.

Not going quite as planned but still get some work done. A bit worried about hitting my target time but happy enough that I can get round OK.

Check out the HIM roll-call thread, this will be a popular one with boardsies.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm taking part, training is ... meh.

Not going quite as planned but still get some work done. A bit worried about hitting my target time but happy enough that I can get round OK.

Check out the HIM roll-call thread, this will be a popular one with boardsies.

Same as that, not getting as much in as i would have liked to at this stage. But with 5 weeks to go, I would hope to get a nice bit done over the next 3 weeks and start to slow it down then for the last 2 weeks..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Did the bike course on Sunday. The weather was lovely and it really is amazing scenery. I near soiled myself though after a close encounter with a sheep on the fast descent after the windy gap. It wouldn't be the greatest epithet on your gravestone,

"Died doing what he loved in an incident with a stubborn sheep"

People would always assume something dirty and untoward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

donmc wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just woundering is there many people on here taken part in the Humbert this year? Hows training going etc???

I am absolutely flying, getting stronger towards the end of sessions, weight falling off me, powering up hills and breaking pbs all over the place :D

* Just making Rawhead a little nervous when theres no need to

In all honesty I think I am going ok, its hard to know. I have put a lot more intensity into the training this year, but you still have terrible runs or poor swim and cycle days which I am hoping is just the fatigue building up from the mornings swim session etc etc.

I would be happier if I had a bit more milage into my legs at this stage, I am a little worried about my run endurance in comparison to last year but you can't have everything.

Looks like they are way up on entries for this year at this stage as well which i am delighted for them as they run a great show.

The road surface is in great condition apart from the stretch between Foxford and Pontoon which is a bit of a bone shaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Rawhead wrote: »
    Did the bike course on Sunday. The weather was lovely and it really is amazing scenery. I near soiled myself though after a close encounter with a sheep on the fast descent after the windy gap. It wouldn't be the greatest epithet on your gravestone,

"Died doing what he loved in an incident with a stubborn sheep"

People would always assume something dirty and untoward.

I did it on Sunday too...i was was suprised to find that there was sheepdog trials going on at the summit of the Windy Gap when i was up there...i thought it was a mirage at first!

Yeah I saw that, it explains the nervous sheep.
    I really love that stretch into Castlebar. You can give it socks and really open the engine. It's the first time I've felt g-force on the bends on a bike and it's wide open enough that you can use the full road safely enough because you can see any cars coming. 60/70kmh on the aero bars is a fantastic buzz.

Sounds like a few of us done it sunday!! i agree that the road surface is poor in places between foxford and pontoon but after that its pretty good. Are most of ye gettin 2 swims, 2bikes and 2 runs in a week?? if not more....

Sounds like a few of us done it sunday!! i agree that the road surface is poor in places between foxford and pontoon but after that its pretty good. Are most of ye gettin 2 swims, 2bikes and 2 runs in a week?? if not more....

3 a week of each.Training properly this time. Last year i did it after only starting triathlon 2 months before, still finished under 6 hrs but completely blew up on the run, painfull yet enjoyable learning experience.

I love the last bit between Swinford and Foxford fast, good surface and slightly rolling

dx22 wrote: »
    3 a week of each.Training properly this time. Last year i did it after only starting triathlon 2 months before, still finished under 6 hrs but completely blew up on the run, painfull yet enjoyable learning experience.

I love the last bit between Swinford and Foxford fast, good surface and slightly rolling

3 a week of each is pretty good going. fair play to ya. how do u divide up the week??

3 a week of each is pretty good going. fair play to ya. how do u divide up the week??

Im actually training for the full iron distance this year (Challenge Barcelona -late September). I been going steady since January and training is going well. Earlier in the year it was mainly unstructured. For past month or so it has got way more structured -
    I use a mixture of Don Finks intermediate and competitive plan tweaked for my schedule/abilities. I generally would miss a session a week but it roughly looks like this:

Monday - AM: 2K swim PM: Easy 1hr run
    Tuesday - Rest day apart from 40 mins core work PM
    Wednesday - PM - 70K Group ride with 30 mins run off bike
    Thursday- AM- 45 mins turbo followed by - Long run (90mins) PM: Open water swim
    Friday - PM: Steady 1 hr run with 40 mins weights after
    Saturday - AM - 30 mins yoga/stretching PM Long swim (4K)
    Sunday - AM- Long ride (4hrs at moment) 30 mins run off bike

Should probably do a training log on boards but i still haven't convinced myself that im going for the full ironman yet!

Im actually training for the full iron distance this year (Challenge Barcelona -late September). I been going steady since January and training is going well. Earlier in the year it was mainly unstructured. For past month or so it has got way more structured -
    I use a mixture of Don Finks intermediate and competitive plan tweaked for my schedule/abilities. I generally would miss a session a week but it roughly looks like this

Thursday- AM- Long run (90mins) PM: Open water swim

Should probably do a training log on boards but i still haven't convinced myself that im going for the full ironman yet!

Fair play to ya, thats great going. All the best for barcelona. The Humbert will be no bother to ya so!!!!!

Lads,

Was swimming in callow lake last night and there is a change to the swim route. It's not around the island this year. It's a race loop up and down on the right hand side of the lake. Kayaks will be stationed in the center of the loop. Water was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Lads,

Was swimming in callow lake last night and there is a change to the swim route. It's not around the island this year. It's a race loop up and down on the right hand side of the lake. Kayaks will be stationed in the center of the loop. Water was lovely.

Thats a pity the Island was great to sight off, the swans must have been acting up this year, in fairness they have the massive buoys so it should be grand anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭MayoRoadRunner

Lads,

Hi Rawhead - buoys out there are just for training. The actual race route this year will be the same as last year except that competitors will swim in an anti-clockwise direction (as opposed to last year which was clockwise) so will again use the island as a turning point. There will be bright orange buoys every 300 meters so should be no issued sighting.

Lake temperature is perfect and the swans are much more placid this year!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

I use a mixture of Don Finks intermediate and competitive plan tweaked for my schedule/abilities. I generally would miss a session a week but it roughly looks like this:

Thursday- AM- 45 mins turbo followed by - Long run (90mins) PM: Open water swim

How do you fit work in with all of this?

hootini wrote: »
    How do you fit work in with all of this?

Is not easy but i have thursday morning off work for the long run which helps a lot, and id never hit all those sessions every week id usually miss one or two. As long as im getting the weekly long bike and long run in im happy enough that im progressing!

Anyone interested in doing a loop of the Humbert on Sunday morning?

Anyone interested in doing a loop of the Humbert on Sunday morning?

I think there is a group who do a brick session on Sunday mornings in preparation for the race. I think i saw it on a post last week on the Humbert Challenge Facebook page.

I think there is a group who do a brick session on Sunday mornings in preparation for the race. I think i saw it on a post last week on the Humbert Challenge Facebook page.

Just noticed this. I think it was for last Sunday though, pity that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eodubhlaoich

hi,
    I have an entry for this years half IM, but due to work commitments won't be able to take part. I really enjoyed last year's race, but well c'est la vie.
    So, I would like to sell my entry - 80e is alot to lose.
    So PM me if you are interested.
    Mise le meas,
    E
    PS - I have confirmation from organisers that they will permit swops
    ( but not deferral to 2013 unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

PS - I have confirmation from organisers that they will permit swops

Did you send that to the mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eodubhlaoich

hi,

GRMA as an fhreagra.
    Pardon my ignorance, I am confused what part above you think I need to send to mods:
    >>PS - I have confirmation from organisers that they will permit swops

This is a statement of fact - I think its relevant as it means if someone
    purchases they are getting a legitimate entry + not impersonating, which
    I am against.

Again a statement of fact, I queried about transferring to 2013 but it is not allowed, so it explains why I am trying to sell.

Le gach dea-ghuí.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Charter: READ ME BEFORE POSTING

If you want to look for (or sell) race numbers because you forgot to enter on time then check that the race allows transfers (most don't). Forward the link or email which states transfers are allowed to the mods before posting your request. We'll close any threads that don't do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Also, essentially you are selling something and rules exist for that too. We will establish these selling rules with clarity in due course.

Advertisement