Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Lanzarote

Options
  • 28-02-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Usually when I'm on here its asking questions. Just back from a week in Lanzarote, got some decent cycles in.

Wrote a blog with a pile of information and complete with some photos and Garmin spin stats. Can be read at:

http://dolmencyclingclub.wordpress.com/2012/02/28/cycling-in-lanzarote/

Its the sort of info I would have liked to have had in one place before heading out.

Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks Paul. I'm off to puerto del carmin tomorrow. I'm hoping to rent a bike for 2 half days and do a few 50 or 60km spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bubsquinn

Hi Paul - great read, thanks. I'm heading that way end of November and am hoping to put in a few 60-100k runs. In a few reads I have read of a 20% grade killer ascent , I think near Femmes ?. Did you come across it - I'm not saying I'd even be able to walk it but just wondering if you experienced in in real life !! PS - do the gap from the Rathfarnham Glencree direction weekly which I reckon comes no where near.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Thanks for this. You seem to have stayed on most of the "yellow" roads - are the other roads much lower in quality in terms of surface? I am renting from Puerto Calero and was going to try to explore, in 60-100km spins (three is my target), more to the centre-top of the island and in around the volcano park. Interesting to here it is hilly, it didn't appear to be from looking at the terrain on Google Maps - I guess you only appreciate these things when on a bike or walking up them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

The nicest cycles on the island are through Timanfaya and from Tabayesco to the cafe at Mirador del Haria its a 10klm switch back and absolutely brilliant ride with great roads and a great decent back down the other side.
    I normally base myself in P del Carmen, the weather is super but can be a bit windy and sometimes very hot, Im heading over in March if anyone else is heading pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Diamond_25

Have done loads of cycling on Lanzarote, get up away from P D Carmen and head to Timnafaya, from there you can go to pretty much all ends of the Island on decent enough roads. If you are heading to playa blanca there are two roads that pretty much run side by side, one newer and one older, stick to the old one as there is less traffic

from timnafaya you can also spin up to have a look at the much talked about club la santa.

Do cycle out to a place called El Golfo, on a windy day the waves breaking there are epic, you can stop into some of the bars for a coffee, from El Golfo spin around by the coast to take a look at the salt farm, its an interesting sight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Diamond_25

Love it! El Golfo is a pretty spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bubsquinn

Thats good points to know Diamond -tk u. Looking forward to it !

Advertisement