Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimsense GPS Tracker

Options
  • 24-02-2012 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

http://www.finisinc.com/hydro-trackertm-gps.html

This looks interesting, should work out at 95e but of course it will be 129.99e

I used my Garmin in my hat a few times but never in a race, I would like to see GPS data from races as its quite hard to figure out if you have had a good or bad swim or if the course was long/short.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm hoping my 910xt will do that for me this year. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    I'm hoping my 910xt will do that for me this year. ;)

Not any better than a 310xt I don't think. And thats not that accurate (unless stuck in a swimming hat)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Love the way it says it can:

"Dig deeper to see key stats including elevations, splits, speed, accumulated time, distance and more."

Still needs to be fitted to the back of the head because water interrupts the GPS signal. Looking forward to getting my RCX5 into the open water.

Big difference between the 310 and the 910 is the stroke count data.

Technical question now comes to mind for pgibbo & krustyclown. As a stroke counter for swimming will you be able to turn the GPS on for open water swimming or is it aimed at pool based activity like the Poolmate?

Love the way it says it can:

"Dig deeper to see key stats including elevations, splits, speed, accumulated time, distance and more."

Still needs to be fitted to the back of the head because water interrupts the GPS signal. Looking forward to getting my RCX5 into the open water.

elevations

Lets pretend the liffey was deep enough and clean enough. I start swimming in Dublin bay and finish at source in Wicklow.
    Big difference between the 310 and the 910 is the stroke count data.

Technical question now comes to mind for pgibbo & krustyclown. As a stroke counter for swimming will you be able to turn the GPS on for open water swimming or is it aimed at pool based activity like the Poolmate?

Stroke count devices like Swimsense and 910xt cannot work in open water. They can count your strokes but not do distance. GPS for distance outdoors swimming. Stroke count for distance indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

310xt in your swimhat works quite well:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/86811575
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87023463

I never used it in a race as I always had a fear of getting my hat/goggles knocked off and losing it. For a 100e GPS I would take that chance. Also, no faffing putting it on in T1, just take it off and dump it at your spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

mloc123 wrote: »

I would like to see GPS data from races as its quite hard to figure out if you have had a good or bad swim or if the course was long/short.

Time is slower than expected= course is long, or bad currents.

Time is faster than expected= good swim, nice to see all that training is paying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

MrCreosote wrote: »

I would like to see GPS data from races as its quite hard to figure out if you have had a good or bad swim or if the course was long/short.

Time is slower than expected= course is long, or bad currents.

Time is faster than expected= good swim, nice to see all that training is paying off.

;)

Just like wind while cycling. It's either a headwind or you are 'feeling strong', no such thing as a tailwind.

;)

Just like wind while cycling. It's either a headwind or you are 'feeling strong', no such thing as a tailwind.

You run.
    Anyone slower jogs.
    Anyone faster dopes.

Advertisement