Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alistair Brownlee injured

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Hopefully a relatively minor one, but just goes to show how easily things can change in Olympic year. I feel sorry for them with everything hinging on one race.

http://www.metro.co.uk/olympics/891185-alistair-brownlee-achilles-tear-has-put-me-out-of-action-for-at-least-a-month

Achilles is not a nice one to do at all though.

Hopefully he'll come back from it. I enjoy his style of racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Biggest issues i'd imagine will be the depression (not training every day) and not coming back too soon and re-injuring.

One month would be unreal, just goes to show the level of care these guys get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Biggest issues i'd imagine will be the depression

:rolleyes:

Ah come on now. Just becasue it's seems to be the athletics talking point-du-jour, why do you think it'll be the biggest risk to AB?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

christeb wrote: »

Ah come on now. Just becasue it's seems to be the athletics talking point-du-jour, why do you think it'll be the biggest risk to AB?
    I didn't mean he'd end up clinically depressed. Just most athletes find it very difficult to deal with medium to long periods of no training.

A lot of athletes turn to sports psychologist in this situation or when their confidence is low. I know Brian O' Driscoll went to Enda McNulty for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

There'll be no bother on him. He must be getting use to the early season injuries at this stage! Not exactly his first. In a similar vein to Chrisse it seems his biggest challenge to the olympics will be dealing with himself and not overdoing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Is Johnny now the favourite, or was he already ? :)

christeb wrote: »

DOH

Depression + athletics == EPO

Bambaata wrote: »
    There'll be no bother on him. He must be getting use to the early season injuries at this stage! Not exactly his first. In a similar vein to Chrisse it seems his biggest challenge to the olympics will be dealing with himself and not overdoing it

Was pointed out to me that athletes in year 1 of an olympic cycle who are dominating are rarely those the podium in year 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I still think its his to lose and itll be his own doing if he does lose. He has some experience from Beijing and did fantastic there at such a young age. He also has his brother to work with so he isnt on his own in the race.

Saying that i wouldnt be surprised if its Jonny we're reading all about after the games! He seems to avoid these injuries which i can only assume means he takes better care of himself and doesnt overdo it like Alistair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

tunney wrote: »
    Was pointed out to me that athletes in year 1 of an olympic cycle who are dominating are rarely those the podium in year 4.

That's true. I wouldn't be surprised if the other athletes work together to beat the Brownlees. They'll try and cover every breakaway on the bikes and could tire themselves out for the run.

Hopefully though one of the brothers will win a gold.

The injury could also work in his favour and he may be fresher going into the race.

• Advertisement

courtesy of Jordan Rapp:

"
    Deja vu all over again...

http://iamspecialized.com/...n/rider/javier-gomez

"But there were also bad moments, like when I got injuried in my achilis tendon before the Olympic Games in Beijing 2008 where I still managed to get a 4th place."
    "

#1 ranked Javier Gomez got an Achilles injury in 2008 and finished 4th.

#1 ranked Greg Bennett got an Achilles injury in 2004 and finished 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

2004, the favourite (Bennett IIRC) had an Achilles injury going in to the triathlon race too and didn't get a podium spot.

beaten to the puch by tunney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

tunney wrote: »
    #1 ranked Javier Gomez got an Achilles injury in 2008 and finished 4th.

#1 ranked Greg Bennett got an Achilles injury in 2004 and finished 4th.

3rd time lucky so! :D;)

Still loads of time so as long as it doesn't become a recurring/ongoing issue then he's fine.

You still couldnt bet against a brownlee that's for sure..

Advertisement