Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Ironman

Options
  • 18-02-2012 8:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi I was thinking of training for my first Ironman. I said back in 2010 when I started running that I would do an ironman in 2012. So now its time! I've been doing some research on it but I'd like to hear from those who have actually done one. Just a few questions.
    • How many hours a week should i be training? I already do about 5 between running and swimming so its not like im unfit.
    • Rest days, how should i structure training?
    • How much food should i be eating?
    • Will i need ice baths/cold baths for training?
    • Will i need extra sleep?
    • How many months should it take me to train for the event?
    cheers, all advice welcome

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You should be in training for it already Paky - I have just recently read Don Finks Be Iron Fit and it is an easy read with three choice of plans for an Ironman. If you were doing one in early July you should be in week 8 at this stage.

You may well struggle to get into one now also unless you go for the UK ones or Hardman down in Kerry

Perhaps do Challenge Barcelona, gets great reports and is not till October which gives you more time

catweazle wrote: »
    You should be in training for it already Paky - I have just recently read Don Finks Be Iron Fit and it is an easy read with three choice of plans for an Ironman. If you were doing one in early July you should be in week 8 at this stage.

You may well struggle to get into one now also unless you go for the UK ones or Hardman down in Kerry

Perhaps do Challenge Barcelona, gets great reports and is not till October which gives you more time

fair enough. so you reckon it takes about a years training or so? i'd be willing to do it next year if thats what it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Not at all Paky, you could do one next week and probably still make the cut off let alone in the summer. But I suppose if you wanted to give one your best shot and be satisfied that you did your best you might be as well off waiting till next year, although you would be in time to train for Challenge Barcelona starting from scratch. Most of the big Euro ones like Austria and Roth will be sold out but you would I would guess get into IM Wales or UK, Challenge Henley, Hardman in late August, IM Wales looked great on the TV but the bike looked really hard.

Have you done a 1/2 Ironman yet - Humbert, Lost Sheep, Groomsport and Galway 70.3 would all be a good one to aim at for this year

catweazle wrote: »
    Not at all Paky, you could do one next week and probably still make the cut off let alone in the summer. But I suppose if you wanted to give one your best shot and be satisfied that you did your best you might be as well off waiting till next year, although you would be in time to train for Challenge Barcelona starting from scratch. Most of the big Euro ones like Austria and Roth will be sold out but you would I would guess get into IM Wales or UK, Challenge Henley, Hardman in late August, IM Wales looked great on the TV but the bike looked really hard.

Have you done a 1/2 Ironman yet - Humbert, Lost Sheep, Groomsport and Galway 70.3 would all be a good one to aim at for this year

no not yet but im considering doing one. how many hours a week training should you be doing? some websites are saying between 15-18 and then some others are saying 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

paky wrote: »
    no not yet but im considering doing one. how many hours a week training should you be doing? some websites are saying between 15-18 and then some others are saying 24 hours.

Don't worry about what websites are saying - How many hours can you realistically do a week?

Once work, family etc., are taken into account, how many hours can you consistently commit to per week?

Once you have that number, you can work a plan around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭too much trifle

hey paky, i'm doing iron distance in early july, following don finks int. plan,
    this is a 7 month plan, 11 weeks in and up to 11-12 hrs, think this plan averages 15hrs i think, the next plan is 20hrs, theres a just make it over the line plan which avg 11hrs ?
    i've been doing sprints & olys for 5yrs, so have a good base of fitness,
    even so some weeks are a struggle, due an easy week this week, and i'm looking forward to it,
    if you have a family, like me, this is a big commitement, and good planning is required, plenty of early mornings and time on the turbo & early nights,
    i have'nt had any ice baths, but if i had access to them then i would, at the moment plenty of fatigue in the legs, a good rub would'nt go a miss:),
    read plenty, take any advice you can get, and work out what will suit you, good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hi I was thinking of training for my first Ironman. I said back in 2010 when I started running that I would do an ironman in 2012. So now its time! I've been doing some research on it but I'd like to hear from those who have actually done one. Just a few questions.
    • How many hours a week should i be training? I already do about 5 between running and swimming so its not like im unfit.
    Depends on the definition of unfit.
    [*]Rest days, how should i structure training?
    Some have a weekly one, I'm in favour of active recovery and only one day off a month.
    [*]How much food should i be eating?
    Same as always, no need to each more really.
    [*]Will i need ice baths/cold baths for training?
    Plenty of evidence that conventional ice baths do nothing positive for the recovery process.

Inflammation is not always bad too.
    [*]Will i need extra sleep?

Probably not
    [*]How many months should it take me to train for the event?

To properly train for one its a 3-5 year plan. My preference being a 5 year plan.

cheers, all advice welcome[/QUOTE]
    fair enough. so you reckon it takes about a years training or so? i'd be willing to do it next year if thats what it takes.

How many years of endurance training do you have behind you? How many years in triathlon?

Horses for courses. Ideally, assuming work, wife, kids - 16 or so a week IMHO.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You notched up some good numbers on the sbr challenge last year iirc. Should stand to you. Im an IM virgin, but currently training, like others who have posted here. All I can tell you is how Im managing and hope it helps you decide what to do
    How many hours a week should i be training? I already do about 5 between running and swimming so its not like im unfit.
    Began at 6 hours, will peak at 15/16. Prior to the plan an average week was 8 hours.
    Rest days, how should i structure training?
    Currently taking one rest day every two weeks or so, when the body needs it, or if Im unwell.
    How much food should i be eating?
    Enough of the right stuff to keep your weight stable.
    Will i need ice baths/cold baths for training?
    Why add extra suffering?
    Will i need extra sleep?
    No, but you will need adequate sleep. If I have a late night, it does seem to affect me more.
    How many months should it take me to train for the event?
    Minimum based on working off a plan, 7. But the longer you lead into the event, the better you will do, Ive read lots of IM logs here, them that do well really do put in the hours and have been doing this a long time.

My advice? Do a HIM first. See how the distance suits you, you could hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

Buy 'Going Long' by Joe Friel and Gordon Byrn, can pick it up cheap on amazon and answers all your questions and more. I find it a great help. It's all about you know you best so get the info and design your own training plan!

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies. i was thinking of doing a 3 hour day 5 x times a week. ive never done that much training but i'd say 2 rest days a week should cut it. i'd probably be better off training for it over a six month period and trying to include summer with the long days and all!! sure i suppose its all about wait and see.

thanks again for the replies

Advertisement