Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lent 2012

Options
  • 15-02-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Anyone bother?

Just for discipline's sake and to lose a few kgs I will give up, chocolate, hot chocolate, biscuits, cake, scones and sweets. I'm sweating at the thought. I intend to eat a mountain of pancakes and nutella to set the ship asail next week :D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm considering it. Mostly because my diet has gone to the dogs lately and I'm eating all sorts of crap instead of eating meals. I'd be a Saturday to Thursday junk food lenten campaign though. Keep Fridays fun and carb load for the weekends training. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Never been a lent person, I have been eating better and dropping weight since December. 6kg down with another 6 or so to go, I don't think lent will be any different to the last 2-3months tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Anyone bother?

No.

But then I'm perfect! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Never really bother with lent although i have started a food diary from today on TPeaks as i have not really utilised that side of it to date. It will be interesting to see what my calorie consumed vs calories burned is like and also the breakdown of carbs/protein/fibre/fat etc. I am hoping it will be a good metric to make sure i am not over indulging but also to make sure there is enough fuel going in on busy days or blocks of work.

Oh i also want to be as skinny as BTH:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'm giving up whinging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    I'm giving up whinging.

hah, as if

mloc123 wrote: »
    hah, as if

At least I'm not ashamed of the size of my langer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I haven't bothered with Lent for years but it's timing is good for me this year so I'm going to try and make use of it and cut out the takeaways and other junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ok so indulge for this evening and tomorrow, then pledge wednesday and hang on...

Anyone with me?

Ok so indulge for this evening and tomorrow, then pledge wednesday and hang on...

Anyone with me?

I had just talked myself out of a bag of crisps, a bottle of wine and a film tonight. (kids and wife away).

but if mcos insists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I'll be downing pitchers of beer in the States a few days before Easter, so gave up booze a few days early. Lasted 2 weeks in Jan, lets see if I can break that streak:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Just a question.

There's a Lent 2012 going on the ART main page. Should us TDA's refrain from posting in the general forum and stick with our own section?

:)

Just a question.

There's a Lent 2012 going on the ART main page. Should us TDA's refrain from posting in the general forum and stick with our own section?

:)

fvck em, the best thing about the split is I don't have to face threads about "DCM - I like to run a 6:00 marathon" or "DCM - can I do it without training"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As I said in the main forum, don't see the point as I presume we're all fit and healthy so why bother deprive yourself of something that you obviously like enough that you have to consider cutting it out of your life?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    As I said in the main forum, don't see the point as I presume we're all fit and healthy so why bother deprive yourself of something that you obviously like enough that you have to consider cutting it out of your life?

And if this was the adequate board then I'd agree.

Lets call a spade a spade, most posters are a normal weight for NORMAL people at best. Or a bit chubby. To get to race weight does that some deprivation. However I am a big fan of 6 up / 1 down approaches. Plus you actually lose more weight that way. (When I say I am a fan of, I'm happy to recommend. These days 1 up /6 down :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

I haven't done lent for many a year, but i'l be giving up alcohol, carbohydrates and crappy sugary foods. Now this is not really 'giving up' but i'll be flat out at the gym.. Except for paddies day of course, I'll be drunk that day, but that doesn't count. Oh and I'll be dropping coffee and drinking green tea instead. (posted in main forum but sure why not here too, I'l be following this side of the forum for tips as I plan on doing gaelforce connemara)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

tunney wrote: »
    fvck em, the best thing about the split is I don't have to face threads about "DCM - I like to run a 6:00 marathon" or "DCM - can I do it without training"

For that comment alone I'm going to redirect all the fat bastards from the main forum to this thread. I'll also encourage them to PM tunney regards advice on 1) training for a 55 minute 5k.
    2) Best approach to running backwards.
    3) "I'm new to tri but want to do an iron man tomorrow"
    4) Best mountain bike for road time trials.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Anyone with me?
    Im not doing lent.
    I'm a lapsed catholic.
    I can't eat wheat which rules out SO much.
    I dont eat red meat.
    Im married so I suffer every day anyway.
    I drink so seldom anyway I dont think I can, anymore.
    I love chocolate too much... Isnt a girl allowed one vice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'll doing this. Just had 5 pancakes with all the lashings. Threw some fruit on the plate to make me feel better! :D

No crisps, sweets, chocolate, ice-cream or biscuits for me.

Should help me get near race weight for HoTW (provided I get an entry) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

......I will give up, chocolate, hot chocolate, biscuits, cake, scones and sweets. .....

Day 3.. all good so far :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Day 3.. all good so far :)
    Ah, go on. Its just one square. You will you will you will. Sure you need something to soak up the tea. What harm can it do......

Advertisement