Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovery drink

Options
  • 10-02-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

What recovery drink would anyone suggest. I am looking for one that will help with recovery but also not add weight to my already oversized frame !! thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Everyone here seems to keep it simple and just have a plain chocolate drink.

I've used My Protein Recovery XS for a couple of years and find it good mixed with water or milk. Or even mixed into porridge after a morning session :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

I dont tend to use recovery drink any more, find just a good balanced meal does the job. The best stuff I have used is for goodness shakes. I generally order it from wiggle but I know base 2 race sells it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Out cycling today, one of the guys was saying that yazoo chocolate milk has the same protein to (something?) ratio as Kinetica protein shakes...

Not sure how accurate that is, or what the catch is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Out cycling today, one of the guys was saying that yazoo chocolate milk has the same protein to (something?) ratio as Kinetica protein shakes...

Not sure how accurate that is, or what the catch is.

Yazoo chocolate milk:
    Serving Size: 100 ml, Calories: 65, Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 10g, Protein: 3.3g
    Source: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/yazoo

Kinetica 100% recovery blackcurrant:
    Serving size 100ml, Calories: 356, Fat: 0.4g, Carbs: 55.1g, Protein: 33g
    Source: Sample packet on my desk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

He was obviously talking out his arse so! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Yazoo chocolate milk:
    Serving Size: 100 ml, Calories: 65, Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 10g, Protein: 3.3g
    Source: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/yazoo

Kinetica 100% recovery blackcurrant:
    Serving size 100ml, Calories: 356, Fat: 0.4g, Carbs: 55.1g, Protein: 33g
    Source: Sample packet on my desk

Probably referring to the 4:1 Carbohydrate to Protein ratio which High5 recommend as the perfect balance for endurance athletes. They advocate taking protein during long sessions as well as carbs as protein reduces muscle fatigue during exercise.

The Kinetica is designed purely for recovery, get easy carbs in which start replenishment of glycogen in the muscles ready for the protein blends to repair the muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Ya but the Yazoo is aroun 450ml in total so if you were to drink the whole bottle
    it would be

Calories: 292.5, Fat: 6.75g, Carbs: 45g, Protein: 14.85g

at €1:20 its a fairly decent recovery drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kickbox1

Hi Mcathlete,
    Have been following your thread with interest. Thought someone would have mentioned Whey protein to you by now. I use it and swear by it. I'm 32 years of age and have abused my body through various sports namely karate, kickboxing and GAA to name but a few. I took up running again nearly 2 years ago and have completed 3 marathons, 3 halfs, numerous 10k's and have started adventure racing (completed sea 2 summit) last year. My point being i would never have got this far without the protein. I was advised to take it within 20 minutes minutes of finishing the training session. As i'm sure you are aware you can buy it in a lot of brands. I use Holland and barrett's. Its usually on offer half price or buy one get one free. I've been told by "some in the know" that this is a bit weak, but as my better half pointed out i'm not agitated when i use this unlike some of the other brands i've tried. Good luck, i hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gtkid18

have a hot chocolate drink, works well for me, well it did when i used to train or Powerbar have choc recovery drink which tastes ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Ya but the Yazoo is aroun 450ml in total so if you were to drink the whole bottle
    it would be

Calories: 292.5, Fat: 6.75g, Carbs: 45g, Protein: 14.85g

at €1:20 its a fairly decent recovery drink.

True.

The kinetica is a 75g serving (+water) so...

267 kcal, 0.3 Fat, 41.3 Carbs, 24.8g Protein

So just over twice the protein. (But works out at >€3.00 per serving RRP!)

Ive never used the Kinetica, just had a free sample on the desk. Have tried the Maximuscle RecoverMax drink which is still 2x as much as the Yazoo and to me tastes a little bit like I've been sick in my throat (orange flavour).l.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Keep it simple - just use some protein with fruit juice (8oz/240ml of juice with a scoop of protein).

Advertisement