Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perfect Triathletes Car??

Options
  • 07-02-2012 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

So I'd like to get a new car!...its not gonna happen but I'd like one!

Anyway what do you think the perfect triathletes car is? I've seen some deadly VW campers at races and always thought they'd be perfect for travelling to races but maybe not very practical for day to day use.

What do you drive and does it swollow a TT bike?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If you want to blend in at races... Audi A4 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

It serves two purposes, firstly travelling around with a family of 6 and it can take up to 3 bikes on race day.

I give you the Mrs JB ugly people carrier
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS45734cQnHZRKYevFhIQM77FuJY1KaJiWW-tR77tT3kheHGfC9Qg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

The Batmobile - wall-to-wall carbon fibre...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Car? I TT to and from races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Surely the perfect triatheletes car would be the one that comes with the most, and biggest, mirrors ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

It serves two purposes, firstly travelling around with a family of 6 and it can take up to 3 bikes on race day.

I give you the Mrs JB ugly people carrier
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS45734cQnHZRKYevFhIQM77FuJY1KaJiWW-tR77tT3kheHGfC9Qg

Its ok...........i'd rather way. Has to be the most ugly car on the road;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I've a newer model Mazda 6 and I've had two TT bikes on the back seat and a boot full of gear travelling to races before. I reckon the best bet would be an estate of some description as it'll be more useful day to day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

I remember reading once that if you are a serious triathlete, your last bike cost more then your first car. Would be interesting to do a poll on that one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭griffin100

My wife's 7 seater Corolla Verso - when you lay all the back seats flat it's like having a van and you can get loads of kit and bike in there and you can lay down and snooze in it before a race if needed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Can't beat a Transit van! 7 spacious seats with more legroom than a 747 1st class cabin.

Room in the back for 7 safely racked TT / MTB / Road bikes with a storage shelf above for all the carefully packed transition bags.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Domer wrote: »
    I remember reading once that if you are a serious triathlete, your last bike cost more then your first car. Would be interesting to do a poll on that one!!

Lol even though I'm not a serious triathlete, that's actually true for me. My first car was a Peugot 10 something and cost me £500:). Bought my first road bike last September and it was €750

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

My first car was a Clio and yeah I shelled out more for my PX than it.

By the time I took up triahlon I was driving an Audi A4 :o which has since been downgraded to a cornflakes box on wheels. Pestering econonmy. I can get my bike and all gear into the back with seat folded down though and without disassembling the bike like I had to with the Audi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

just make sure the back seats fold down to fit your bike in - better security than rack on back. The roof rack option works for some - but have seen a few cases of bikes destroyed by forgotting they were there going into underground carpark:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I paid more for my bike than my first two cars put together - a Corsa and a Punto.

Paid more for my bike than my current car too - Ibiza.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Domer wrote: »

Think I spent 5k on my first car.

Must go home and tell herself that I'm not a serious triathlete until I spend 5k+ on a bike....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Given that it's about looking fast rather than your ability to actually go fast, it has to be this

capture-d_c3a9cran-2011-06-28-c3a0-00-06-47.png?w=640&h=313

Or

2745894737_586ddae541.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Its ok...........i'd rather way. Has to be the most ugly car on the road;)
    I always think they look like the top half of one car was stuck onto the bottom half of a completely different one. Strange styling to say the least. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

One that someone else drives so you can rest up on the way to races.

(Dublin->Kenmare drive is one I hate)
    (venice->klagenfurt)
    (Ryanair munich ->klagenfurt)

Messes with the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Interesting as I'm actually in the market for changing car at present.

Personally, I'm into cars so the only practical requirements are that my bike, gear and potential passenger fits comfortably...
    I did look at Audi A4's, but a tad boring for me personally.

I'm coming from a 96 M3, and looking to pay money for a car instead of out in road tax... :rolleyes::o
    The Coupe is surprisingly fine, only hassle is with handlebars when entering/exiting bike it sometimes gets caught by rear seats etc.

Ironically, the gf's Mini Cooper is great, faster and much easier being a hatchback and still has good space surprisingly.
    So much so I'm looking at a man's version of one...fantastic cars to drive.
    I reckon it'll save me around 2 minutes in T0 this year... :cool: ;)

A family wagon has to be the most practical alright. Maybe even an estate.
    Personally, I'm not a fan of hanging €4k+ worth of bike/wheels etc off the boot in the elements, which is often rain let's face it.
    Same applies to roof mounts so any car for me will always have to fit the bike and gear inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Citroen Berlingo.
    Can fit the bikes in the back, with all wheels on, when the seats are folded down. The under the boot lid is also great for warming up on a turbo when it's raining out.
    New-Citroen-Berlingo-Multispace-review-19397.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Must go home and tell herself that I'm not a serious triathlete until I spend 5k+ on a bike frame ....

Fixed that for you there chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Given that it's about looking fast rather than your ability to actually go fast, it has to be this

Spot on....i am not a fast racer, so i had to get a fast car in case the ITU rules are changed and allow use of motorisation. Here is my old bike into my 993.
    It took me 20minutes the first time to fit it in...now few minutes.
    DSCF2974.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭nutts_77

Just bought a VW Caddy van. Lots of space, economical and comfortable. Ticks all the boxes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Citroen Berlingo.
    Can fit the bikes in the back, with all wheels on, when the seats are folded down. The under the boot lid is also great for warming up on a turbo when it's raining out.
    New-Citroen-Berlingo-Multispace-review-19397.jpg

Am biting my tongue.Am biting my tongue. Ok cant anymore. Has to be the ugliest car/van in Ireland. I apologise now.

Am biting my tongue.Am biting my tongue. Ok cant anymore. Has to be the ugliest car/van in Ireland. I apologise now.
    Almost correct
    29835327.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ha Ha, I was thinking a Multipla myself. I actually sort of like them though.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I actually sort of like them though.
    I have to admit that I kinda like them too ... they're so far into the ugly spectrum that they've wrapped around and are almost acceptable ... almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I cant knock you for your honesty lads. My bro in law actually has one with an upper deck. I give him a hard time constantly. When they first came out i had a severe case of deja vu. Could not put my finger on it.
    Then i eventually remembered going on a long walk from Drogheda to Killineer as a 5 yr old in 1979 with my parents to see a man with a white cap been driven accross a big field in one ;)

Back on topic i believe the perfect triathletes car is one that fits a bike on the back seat and plenty of room for gear in the boot...diesel for fuel efficiency for them long weekend drives and comfort for the legs. I'd look no further than any large saloon car

Advertisement