Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportmans Duathlon

Options
  • 30-01-2012 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

http://www.runireland.com/events/2010-02-14/sportsman-duathlon

Any doing this? Has anyone done it in its previous years? Might have even been one earlier this year if I remember correctly. A friend is hoping to to a few tris this year and I thought this would be a good introduction. Also a good way to see what stage I'm at myself :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Earlier this year???
    As in a week or two ago is it :D

Ok seriously, yep few on here did the Brownlee Duathlon in October and others have done it before I'm sure too.

Great course, well organised event and can't ask for more really.

I'm in (pending fitting into plan), as is Bambaata I think and surely some more.

Run starts on a gradual descent, before turning back up a country lane to transition.
    Bike is a 2 lap affair of a straight stretch from 1 roundabout to another.
    Great for tracking progress and seeing where you're at etc.
    Run then repeats as run1 to finish.

Really enjoyed it in Oct.
    Only iffy bit is both roundabouts are preceded by downhills into them.
    So careful on the brakes if wet is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Could they not have choosen a better pic to promote their race than that first one??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Not sure what I was on about there Fazz... :rolleyes:

But sounds like a good one. At least I'll have some competition if you and Bambaata are doing it... ahem!

And if I come in say 15/20 minutes after the winners it's because... I was on a training run.

But grand thanks for the info, sounds like one to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Balls looks like they changed dates by a week, I had planned to do this but it now clashes with a weekend away. Cracking race done it twice last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Balls looks like they changed dates by a week, I had planned to do this but it now clashes with a weekend away. Cracking race done it twice last year.

Same as, so I've decided to do one in Ennis instead.

• Advertisement

Obvious question perhaps but is a T.I. licence required for this? Haven't renewed yet this year. Surprisingly hard to get information

I'm pretty sure there's no TI affiliation for this and therefore no licence required.

Their website should confirm but that was the case at Brownlee race anyway.

I'm out for this myself, but will aim for the March one hopefully.
    Hopefully the weather is fine on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Eh, you needed a TI one day licence for the Brownlee Challenge. I know because I had to buy one for it :)

I was not asked on either of the two times i raced it last year, perhaps the Brownlee challenge was treated different:confused:

It states "NO ONE DAY LICENCE REQUIRED" on the Run Ireland site.

Thanks for the info anyway folks. Good course, nice part of the country at the foot of the hills and all. Finished a few minutes ahead of target so all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anyone in for the one that is on in about 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

its in 2 weeks isnt it,
    11th march, im considering it, even though il more than likely be last or close to last..

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭digdeep

Hi guys looks like a good one - hopefully my first one! If anyone interested there is also one on Paddy's Day in Castleblayney

Another one i will miss, just too close to my marathon. Hopefully i will catch the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Pity about that JB, this is my first outing this year and i cant wait! Itll be the first time with power too which should be very interesting. Just need to decide if i focus on power or just let loose and see what happens without viewing the readings until afterwards.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Pity about that JB, this is my first outing this year and i cant wait! Itll be the first time with power too which should be very interesting. Just need to decide if i focus on power or just let loose and see what happens without viewing the readings until afterwards.

Gotta be the latter all day long.

The more I think about it the more a power meter for racing is only useful for 70.3 and above, maybe Olympic at a push but for Sprints and Duathlons it's just hurt as much as you can and then use as analysis thereafter.

Damn it I want to do this one, but it's looking like a no as I've the 10mile run day before. Hopefully the third one will fit better!

Is that 10miler a race or training. If training sure it wouldnt do too much unless you're doing it at a fast pace and its not as though the duathlon holds much importance?

Is that 10miler a race or training. If training sure it wouldnt do too much unless you're doing it at a fast pace and its not as though the duathlon holds much importance?

10miler will be at race pace to see if any training zones need to be adjusted.

Duathlon not important, but wouldn't be ideal doing day after 10miler.
    Wouldn't do it for sake of it as I wouldn't be able to hold myself back from trying.

Hopefully third time lucky.

All registered up and ready to go!

Looking forward to seeing how Bambatta goes here, my prediction - top 7, no pressure dude ;) Anyone else around these parts doing this?

• Advertisement

Top 7??? No chance.

Top 3 IMO..... ;)

Come on Eddie!

Podium or bust.

Fazz wrote: »
    Top 7??? No chance.

Top 3 IMO..... ;)

Come on Eddie!

Podium or bust.

TBH that what I was really thinking but I don't like putting too much pressure on :)

Ha no pressure then! I dont know about top 3 now! Cant really control who turns up but if i manage the time id think i can i could get a top 5 or so based on the last results but who knows. Fortunately weather looks like itll be good! All i know is ill hurt from the off and try keep up with the lead few runners and go from there.

Perhaps its just me (do not want to heap the pressure on Ed:)) but i think you are capable of the win depending on who turns up. 3.07km paced run split and 39kmph avg on the bike should be good enough. You have the run pace to stick with the guys considered you held 3.30km at the 5k earlier in the year and your running has no doubt improved since then. What is your pb on the course?
    Not far from me so might pop up on Sunday morning to shout some support.

Hey JB. We'll see. Ive done the course once and not in any form of shape and managed 52:16. That was at last years Brownlee race, i was only 2 weeks back to training. If im slower than that i may pack this game in! The bike course has some drags and a sharp climb after rounding a roundabout so its not a fast one!

Hey JB. We'll see. Ive done the course once and not in any form of shape and managed 52:16. That was at last years Brownlee race, i was only 2 weeks back to training. If im slower than that i may pack this game in! The bike course has some drags and a sharp climb after rounding a roundabout so its not a fast one!

Well if you done 52:16 untrained you will be at the pointy end of the race with the solid training in the last few months. I hear you on the bike course as i have cycled it a good few times as sometimes i am up that direction on training spins.
    Its like two different courses you have the fast downhill from the Sportsman to the roundabout and then the long drag back up with a sharp uphhill at the other roundabout which kills the pace. One side your bombing at speeds of up to 50-60kmph and then other side crawling at 15-25kmph:rolleyes:
    It will be interesting to see the power you put out in a race scenario. Best of luck.

Cheers JB. Im getting excited about it now. Day off today, some short sharp efforts tomorrow and thats all now! Im tinkering with the power thing now. I was thinking of setting an alert to tell me if i go below a certain wattage and not have it displaying. That way itll keep me honest etc.

Also is the Setanta site down?
    I just wanted to confirm times. Runireland has it as
    Sunday 11th March 10:00am start - sign on from 08:30am
    Presume thats what everyone else has it at?

Anyone got a spare race belt by any chance? I'm down at the folks and forgot mine in Dublin!

Great racing by our boy Ed today.

• Advertisement

Fantastic 2nd only to Bryan McCrystal.
    Savage race looks like a sprint finish was in order!

Solid work indeed! :D Well done.

Advertisement