Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BNY Mellon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Tis a grand first graduate job

But have a plan
    If you want to go down the accountancy route like CIMA or ACCA they will support you.
    But best to get cracking on this or maybe once you clear probation or you might let it slide for years and years

A job is a job, depends what your department is
    Churning out NAV's will have you braindead but lots of opportunities to transfer around
    Like working in some other areas will have you hitting the phones and trying to solve issues

Do you have an interview setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭emy50

Check out if you are going for AIS or Asset Servicing . .

If you get a job offer, consider it well. The functionalisation of the funds industry has dumbed everything down, I go along with the last post, you might be brain dead or on auto pilot for most of your days churning out NAV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 FiveSpice

Thanks

I haven't even applied yet. I am graduating in May and I contacted someone there and she said to complete the online profile and to contact her again in April.

I am very undecided about what to do after college so I was just hoping for some feedback from anyone who has worked there. What are the hours like? Starting salary? I know the work would be boring but I'd be ok with that if it was a nice working environment where I would not have to work extremely long hours like the place I did my work placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GEKKO135

It's not a bad place to start after graduating but it's not amazing either. I got paid shockingly bad (18k in fund administration) and actually had another job to get me by at the weekend. I didn't get a whole lot of training and that meant learning from everyone on my team, which didn't work out well because they all had so much of their own work to do. After about 4 months you will be expected to be able to handle an equal workload. The allocated workload is unfair and will rarely let you out on time. This was the part that really didn't sit well with me but everyone seems to just get on with it even though there's no extra pay. And don't get me wrong I would gladly work long and hard if it was paid for. We also had these team meetings every so often with the head of the department and tbh it seemed like nobody had any interest in what was being said, it just seemed like morale among some people was quite low. Then again they do organize social nights and the likes and they have big Christmas parties. Some people are good fun despite the crap they put up with.

On the plus side they will support ACCA/CFA and that seems to be a set target for many people, an escape route if you will. At the end of the day people use fund administration as a stepping stone and if you got these qualifications before turning 25 then I'm sure you will be able to move on to better things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

FiveSpice wrote: »
    Thanks

I haven't even applied yet. I am graduating in May and I contacted someone there and she said to complete the online profile and to contact her again in April.

I am very undecided about what to do after college so I was just hoping for some feedback from anyone who has worked there. What are the hours like? Starting salary? I know the work would be boring but I'd be ok with that if it was a nice working environment where I would not have to work extremely long hours like the place I did my work placement.

do you mind me asking were you did your work experience ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 kay2011

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Tis a grand first graduate job

But have a plan
    If you want to go down the accountancy route like CIMA or ACCA they will support you.
    But best to get cracking on this or maybe once you clear probation or you might let it slide for years and years

A job is a job, depends what your department is
    Churning out NAV's will have you braindead but lots of opportunities to transfer around
    Like working in some other areas will have you hitting the phones and trying to solve issues

Do you have an interview setup?

how long did you wait to hear from bny after the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kay2011

how long did you wait to hear from bny after the interview

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭barbie_j

interviewed with BNY Mellon more than 2 months ago, heard absolutely nothing from them! followed up with HR a few times but they never got back to me :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

barbie_j wrote: »
    interviewed with BNY Mellon more than 2 months ago, heard absolutely nothing from them! followed up with HR a few times but they never got back to me :-(

My friend went for an interview with them, same thing with the lads not getting back to him, they're giant assholes in that way.

BNY have always had that reputation apparently. Maybe you got lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭barbie_j

My friend went for an interview with them, same thing with the lads not getting back to him, they're giant assholes in that way.

BNY have always had that reputation apparently. Maybe you got lucky?

agreed! it was a lucky escape:p forget about the shoot it caused and move forward;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement