Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my alarm, comparison of different models

Options
  • 25-01-2012 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

OK so I am looking at upgrading my existing alarm panel and keypad and I am exploring my options at the moment.

The panel and keypad have to be compatible with my existing wired contacts and inertia sensors (Aritech).

It has to have wireless sensor add-on functionality as well, as the main reason for updating the system is so that I can put 3 wireless motion sensors down stairs.

And at a minimum some sort of GSM dialler to inform me of the alarm triggering or the capability to plug it into my home network so that I can remotely manage my alarm. The last bit would be a nice to have rather than essential, the cost would be the deciding factor here.

So what are my options, I was dead set on the HKC Securewave but that is only because my local electrical wholesalers only sell that brand.

I have seen people mention Siemens alarms and Signet 220IP but I cant seem to find any good information about the different models.

I am actually surprised no one on here has put a good guide and comparison together...

Anyway any help on the above would be greatly appreciated,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Apologies, I searched last night and couldn't find anything about different models. I just searched there again and I have found loads of information.

However, can someone tell me if all wired components from different manufacturers are interchangeable. i.e. will my Aritech wired sensors be compatible with HKC, Siemens, Signet panels...

I reckon I am going to go for a Siemens alarm as they have the IP capability.

Any opinions on the Siemens IC60 range? Id imagine there quite expensive.

Calling over to Borsatec now in a few to have a chat about the Siemens units they have for sale.

Just back from Borsatec. They didnt really have much information to hand. Didnt even have the range of model numbers to hand. Didnt inspire too much confidence to be honest.

I called in to Richmond Electrical as well. Much more helpful, even gave me contact details of someone in Siemens so that they can help me spec out the parts I need.

I have also found this site here which seems to list alot of the Siemens Alarm stuff.

https://qa.spiap.com/products/intrusion/spc/centrales.html

Mad that they do not do a panel with LAN and Wireless Add on capability. You can only have one or the other.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

davkav wrote: »

The panel and keypad have to be compatible with my existing wired contacts and inertia sensors (Aritech).
    Most panels would be comaptable with these.
    It has to have wireless sensor add-on functionality as well, as the main reason for updating the system is so that I can put 3 wireless motion sensors down stairs.

Siemens would do that for you.
    And at a minimum some sort of GSM dialler to inform me of the alarm triggering or the capability to plug it into my home network so that I can remotely manage my alarm.
    Siemens 4320 or 5320 Would do that for you.
    So what are my options, I was dead set on the HKC Securewave but that is only because my local electrical wholesalers only sell that brand.
    You decision should be based on features & cost. Not what one supplier wants to sell you. Bear in mind some suppliers are given accounts with certain manufacturers based on exclusivity. So they would not have your best interests at heart.
    I have seen people mention Siemens alarms and Signet 220IP but I cant seem to find any good information about the different models.
    The Siemens 5320 is the newer version of the SigNet 220
    Hopefully the links above give you some ideas.
    Also take a look at this one

The basic Siemens without IP would be in or around the same cost as HKC Secure wave but with some nice extra features.
    The 4220 does have a Webserver but not IP . It can be accessed vis GSM with a data connection or locally via USB.
    I personally would recommend going the extra few euro for IP. Its a great system that you can build on & add home automation & access if you wish.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all of the info KoolKid.

It is exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't find details about the differences across the SPC range.

Looks like the SPC 5320 is the one that ticks all of the boxes for my needs and then some ;)

I was opting for the 4320 but having the X10 feature would nice to expand on in the future.

I am also going to get a price on both types of keypads:

SPCK420 and the SPCK620. The 620 looks a lot cleaner and nicer to look at.

Any chance you know if there are any kits (panel and keypad) for the above and their Product Codes?
    REW had the SPC4220 with the K420 in stock yesterday as a kit.

So my shopping list as it stands:
    1 x SPC5320 - Panel
    2 x SPCK620 - Keypad
    3 x IR60W6-10 - Wireless PIR detector
    2 x IOPW6-11 - Wireless Smoke Detector

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The 4220K1 is the only kit that comes with a keypad.
    This is without wireless & because it come with a metal lid you would need to buy the external wireless kit.
    There are no other kits that i am aware of at the moment.
    I would recommend going for the 5320 over the 4320 much more features & capacity for relativly little extra.

A standard keypad is around €80-€90
    The 620 is double & the 621 (Which has audion & pace ) is around €240
    These are nice , but they are aimed at the commercial market.
    REW can source anything like this thats not in stock in 2-3 days generally.
    I would also recommend calling Finglas rather than Ballymount with any queries.

KoolKid wrote: »
    The 4220K1 is the only kit that comes with a keypad.
    This is without wireless & because it come with a metal lid you would need to buy the external wireless kit.
    There are no other kits that i am aware of at the moment.
    I would recommend going for the 5320 over the 4320 much more features & capacity for relativly little extra.

A standard keypad is around €80-€90
    The 620 is double & the 621 (Which has audion & pace ) is around €240
    These are nice , but they are aimed at the commercial market.
    REW can source anything like this thats not in stock in 2-3 days generally.
    I would also recommend calling Finglas rather than Ballymount with any queries.

Thanks KoolKid.

If its double the price its probably not worth it then, I will probably just stick with 420 then.

REW Finglas is the branch I was in yesterday and I can say they are bang on to deal with.

Just in case anyone is interested REW gave me prices on the keypads and panel. They have to get back to me with a price on the sensors.

SPC5320 Panel €223 + VAT
    SPCK420 Keypad €69 + VAT

There is the option of the 4320 with Web server.

• Advertisement

I just read the PDF there again and I swear i thought the 4320 didn't have X10 capability.

Ill be getting a price on the 4320 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭minder2009

hello
    I have a cs350 Aritech system. It is working reasonably well. I have all the sensors /pirs where I want them. However the Control panel is in the attic. The system does not comply with the En regulations.

The panel will have to be extended down to the landing and as it is nearly 10 years old it would be uneconomical to move it.

I wondered is there a modern system that would be compatible with the sensors that are on the system OR would it be the case that they are too near the end of their life and better off replaced?

I have no landline but want a dialler on it as well as a fob to turn it on/off.

from looking at the boards i see someone mention the quantam newly released that has a dialler inbuilt.

appreciate advice. its a 3 bed semi with small kitchen extension.

PS I would like to put a wireless RKP at the back door.

If you want the system to conform to EN50131 then you will need to get a licenced installer to upgrade & certify your alarm. You also need it regularly serviced to maintain that standard.

I just read the PDF there again and I swear i thought the 4320 didn't have X10 capability.

Ill be getting a price on the 4320 then.

I am not 100% on this, so I stand to be corrected, But I think the 4320 does do basic X10.Without the cause & effect. It does have the Web Server.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭minder2009

If you want the system to conform to EN50131 then you will need to get a licenced installer to upgrade & certify your alarm. You also need it regularly serviced to maintain that standard

Ok thanks ......any advice in my query re getting rid of or and installing new .......I was just looking at the spec in the quamtam 70 hkc seems to have spec I am looking for. I added an extra rkp to my Cs 350 recently..... dear enough I suppose u can't mix and match with the quantum ... Shame to waste it...just wondered.....

No you can't mix & match keypads.
    Is your house prewired?
    If so there is no need for the likes of the Quantum.
    Take a look at the Siemens 4000 range. Pricewise its similar to the HKC 1070 but some nice extra features for yor money.
    BTW you don't have to move the panel from the attic to comply. You just need to protect the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

minder2009 wrote: »
    Ok thanks ......any advice in my query re getting rid of or and installing new .......I was just looking at the spec in the quamtam 70 hkc seems to have spec I am looking for. I added an extra rkp to my Cs 350 recently..... dear enough I suppose u can't mix and match with the quantum ... Shame to waste it...just wondered.....

The HKC Securewave 10/70 would be better to install in your case as you have all the wired devices, windows, doors and the PIRs plus you would still have the ability to add wire free sensors if needs be.

So my shopping list as it stands:
    1 x SPC5320 - Panel
    2 x SPCK620 - Keypad
    3 x IR60W6-10 - Wireless PIR detector
    2 x IOPW6-11 - Wireless Smoke Detector

Anyone have any info on what your standard issue Siemens Wireless PIR model number is? I suppose I can just ask REW to get me a price on all four types.

Link to Wireless PIR models

I think its IR60W6-10 .
    Are you dealing with REW in Finglas or Ballymount.?

I think its IR60W6-10 .
    Are you dealing with REW in Finglas or Ballymount.?

Cool thanks.

Dealing with Collie in the Finglas branch.
    I've to drop him an email tomorrow with the order.

• Advertisement

They are still getting up to speed on some of the Siemens codes etc. But himself or Dave would be the best to be dealing with.

There sound lads and very helpful alright.

Yeah he had prices for the 4220 kit and the 5320 but needed to make a phone call to get prices for accessories so I said hold off until I know exactly what I want.

I'll get prices on all four PIR's for anyone else that might be looking.

Are you planning much wireless ?

Well the PIR's will be going in straight away.

And then for future expansion there could be lets say 3 additonal windows eventually added on to the house.

I suppose, thinking about it now, I could run new alarm cable to the extension that might be built.
    And I could probably take up some of the floor boards in the landing and hard wire the PIR's.

Why do yo ask?

Any prices on the window wire free inertia/contacts?
    Might be good to have if down the road cables can't be installed.

Inertia contacts would be around the €45

Well that's it as well. The wireless will be handy to have in case of any cable faults going to the sensors that are already fitted.

Well that's it as well. The wireless will be handy to have in case of any cable faults going to the sensors that are already fitted.

You will need to buy the receiver to use inertia/contacts on this system.

Inertia contacts would be around the €45

Does that include Vat?

• Advertisement

Ok I've got prices back from REW

SPC4320 CONTROL PANEL 210.70
    SPC5320 CONTROL PANEL 227.24
    SPCK420 KEYPAD 63.15
    SPCK620 KEYPAD 135.97
    IR60W6-10 SIEMENS Wireless PIR 35.00
    IR100B SIEMENS "Swisstec" Wired PIR 14.70
    IR65W6-10 SIEMENS Wireless Ceiling PIR 37.50
    IR160W6-10 SIEMENS Wireless black mirror PIR 41.25
    ADM-I12W1 SIEMENS Wireless Quad PIR 37.50
    IOPW6-11 SIEMENS Wireless Smoke Detector 47.50

Prices are exVAT

Looks Ill probably go with the 5320 seen as there is only €17 in the difference.

So:
    1 x SPC5320
    2 x SPCK420
    3 x IR60W6-10
    1 x IOPW6-11

Totalling: €612

Advertisement