Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 23-01-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Would a person be crazy to do a Duathalon wihout training for it. When say without training, I mean the cycling part. If you could run 8k in 37 minutes, would it be ok to give a 4k - 20k - 4k a go.

I also would say, just to take it easy.. Not push it too hard,

Suggestions / Comments welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I did that last year and wouldn't recommend it, the change from the bike to the second run wasn't comfortable as I wasn't used to the change in muscle use (See the thread below).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

simply, yes..its not nearly as easy as it sounds..you need some class of bike to run training for the second run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

As long as you're not looking to win then you'll be fine. 20km on a bike isn't that far and neither is a 4km run afterwards although it may take 4km for the jelly legs to subside, but you should try and do some cycling beforehand and get some indication of what the legs feel like off the bike. Either way the uncomfortable legs probably wont be fatal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DriverMad

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. I will do it and see how it goes. I will take it easy. I have been running for the last 2 years. I will take it easy.

I will let you know how I get on......

What would be the average time for doing this distance?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

DriverMad wrote: »
    Would a person be crazy to do a Duathalon wihout training for it. When say without training, I mean the cycling part. If you could run 8k in 37 minutes, would it be ok to give a 4k - 20k - 4k a go.

I also would say, just to take it easy.. Not push it too hard,

Suggestions / Comments welcome.

No, absolutely go for it, the 2nd run is gonna be fun, but its not gonna kill you and you will just run the 2nd 4k slower than the 1st 4k, whats the worst that can happen !

Do at least 1 Bike / Run "brick" so you know what to expect out of the jelly legs, allow enough time prior to race day for a recovery as it may be a bit of a shock. They do go away...its just when and you need the confidence to know prior to the day that they will go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Easton Assassin

Thinking of doing the same this year as Driver Mad and entering the West Cork Tri series having never done a proper duathlon before. Did the southcoast adventure race last year without having done a cycle/run brick and got through it fine (when I say fine I managed to complete it but it hurt!!). As already asked it would be good to know what an average time for completion would be or what average mph on the bike you could expect in a 4k - 20k - 4k??

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DriverMad

I said I would reply on how I got on.

I did my first duathalon last weekend. 4k - 20k -4k.

I did it in under 1:18.. I am not sure how good this is.

The second run was hard, hamstrings were at me a bit but I kept going and finished it.

My advice to people doing their first duathlon is to just do it, but take your time. Especially on the cycle. I got passed by loads when I was on the bike but I would be stronger at the running.

It was a great day. And I enjoyed it and the pain.

Advertisement