Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The YooToob thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fantastic car that Audi. Proper review from a proper reviewer too. Interesting how suspension priorities can change ove time. Today it's all short travel and rubber band tyres for the 'Ring times, with that Audi it was long travel, more sidewall, while still keeping the chassis under control and predictable.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Can't beat Harry.

As cars get bigger, heavier and faster brakes get bigger so wheels must get bigger and rubber thinner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

tossy wrote: »
    As cars get bigger, heavier and faster brakes get bigger so wheels must get bigger and rubber thinner.
    Oh very true T, but the style/fashion and ring times are big influences too. Even basic runabout cars have been influenced there. Those Audis ran around 1300Kgs dry, 0-100 under 5 second, got to 250 Kph and the brakes living under 15 inch wheels could still detach your retinas. There would be very few cars even today that would keep up with that yoke on back roads.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Grand Tour did a really good piece about the rally cars of those days.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Fantastic car that Audi. Proper review from a proper reviewer too. Interesting how suspension priorities can change ove time. Today it's all short travel and rubber band tyres for the 'Ring times, with that Audi it was long travel, more sidewall, while still keeping the chassis under control and predictable.

I agree. I just dont get these huge rims on cars. And the wheels look spot on on the Audi. A set of 18s would run the ride and the look.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

Harry mentioned above got this guy to launch his own channel. Could listen to him all day, some amount of knowledge is his head.

delynet wrote: »

Harry mentioned above got this guy to launch his own channel. Could listen to him all day, some amount of knowledge is his head.

He seems like one of those lads you'd happily watch a 1 hour video of him wiring a plug :D Serious old school knowledge and skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

500 hp Mini.

• Advertisement

I love the curve of the A pillar on that Lambo. In theory it shouldn't quite work, but it really does.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

edit:
    deltatechx
    2 years ago
    Another update: Car is currently at 1,260,000 miles so it's officially over 2 million kilometers now. The catalytic converter clogged up and blew the head gasket so I let it set for about a year before messing with it. She's back up and going now doing about 13k miles a month. Catalytic converter is "fixed" so there's no longer a check engine light and the passenger seat is back in the car due to changes at work so no more airbag light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Trying to get a car going that has been sitting in a field for 20 years:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Awfully quiet around here....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't believe I have put this here. Ordinarily, I review tanks, but I had a car handy...

I don't believe I have put this here. Ordinarily, I review tanks, but I had a car handy..
    Was never interested in tanks much if at all until I got hooked on your channel and now I am, you bollex. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

https://youtu.be/JyvtD6MVS38

Really enjoying this youtube series. It's a different kettle fish to project binky. It's more relaxing and entertaining. The camera work is fantastic. There is even the odd bracket made :)

Soup is a fantastic channel alright I. Real quality across the board. Shocked he doesn't have more subscribers.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Soup is a fantastic channel alright I. Real quality across the board. Shocked he doesn't have more subscribers.

It has picked up a bit the last while. Urchfab is another one im watching the last year or so where the numbers are low compared to the quality. Subs creep up really slow from 30 to 80 in a year with countless hours of work.
    It's a hard battle against the algorithms for them. No money in us diy car folk, maybe in the us but not here. I know marketing/advertising doesn't really work on me, at least not to the extent where i'll impulse buy a welder or a drill or whatever. Maybe a cup or something, how bad can it be. I'm sure most lads who watch this type of stuff are similar. Wear the same runners for years etc. The best result they might hope for is that i go and google a load of reviews and forums about their product to see if it does what it claims! Then I'll do a search to see if there's something better for less money. Old fashioned :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I don't believe I have put this here. Ordinarily, I review tanks, but I had a car handy...

Ah, I know you! Well at least all of your various youtube tank chats I've been binge watching. Excellent stuff.

I've watched loads of your videos and never realised it was you. Nice one - keep up the good work.

https://youtu.be/mjQhc9wGFug

Mini rotary engine build

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

One for the long winter evenings ..a 2 1/4 h tour of the Petersen museum ..200+ cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

vintagevrs wrote: »

I remember it well. The first time away with my now wife. Drank in Killarney. Slept in the van at the top of Molls Gap, waiting for the cars to arrive. Then on to watch at the Healy Pass. On to the beach for the rest of the Easter weekend :) Absolutely beautiful warm spring weather. I spotted the famous Wolseley Hornet SZJ 1 in the video, still looking great today https://scontent-dub4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/68749359_2334021723301704_3015544775299301376_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=yW-vQLnz8KoAX9ROGo-&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=45969dac1d85630849a1ac566685a6d8&oe=5FFDDD42

• Advertisement

Advertisement