Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Race Series

Options
  • 20-01-2012 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Anyone racing on Sunday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Hopefully. First race in nearly 2 years :eek:

BTW, existing thread here...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056458796

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

racing the 2nd race of the series and marshalin at the 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Nice race, windy and chilly. Still no times up :/

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

There are results up on the Triathlon Ireland website

There are results up on the Triathlon Ireland website

Cheers, never even considered it. I had being looking on chipit.

• Advertisement

heard from the lads in the club that it went well with a big crowd...lookin forward to racing the second race

Good race, very big crowd.. 220ish I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

mloc123 wrote: »

Still waiting mock for the report......:)

Still waiting mock for the report......:)

When I get the laptop later, memory of a goldfish and busy week in work :)

Phone will do...

Woke up and felt wrecked, tight and sore after a day of unplanned DIY yesterday.
    Had breakfast, got packed up and killed some time. Arrived for 11:30 and regged.
    Setup in transition, not much to setup and went to test the bike out:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143703661

Got back, my spot had been robbed and somebody had thrown my bag out of their way.. d*ck.
    Got a new spot and setup, runners on and a very short warmup. Went for a pee and made my way to the start.

Run 1

The usual madness at the start, everyone hared off except me. I kept it nice and steady, kept the pace around 4:10 and let my HR build. I expected the catch a chunk of the field and did, as I went on I picked more and more off. Wind was tough at times and I tried to hide behind people if I could. Got into T1, helmet on.. runners off and a sore run to the line. Mounted okay, no much hassle getting my feet into my shoes.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143703699

Bike

Got going straight away and began passing people. I usually give a friendly shout of 'outside', seemed to rub some people up the wrong way today.. ohwell. About 2mins in and on the long downhill to the cross roads I shifted to 11 and the chain dropped and jammed, had to freewheel for a moment until I had a safe place to pull in. Got going again but I had been passed for a few, took me about a minute to catch and repass the last one I had before the chain jammed. Found it easy to keep power up on the incline out, spinning out on the way into Blessington. Again, easy to keep the power up on the hill out of Blessington.

From here back it was fast, a little scary at 55kph on a 60mm front with gusts. Again I spun out a fair bit from here to the crossroads. The road on the way back is pretty rough in places, hard to stay on the bars on this section. Getting back into T2 I had a glance at the avg power and it was a little lower than I expected. Shoes open, feet out, leg over the bar... about 50m too soon.. I just about rolled to the line before another sore run back in. The bike was very windy and cold, on a clear day I would have been quicker I think.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143703710

Run 2

Out of T2 with a guy I had tailed on the bike, he seemed a strong biker but I reckoned I had him on the run. Kept him within a few metres for the first km and then passed him. Lost a couple of places on the back straight, 2nd female came around me here and I shamelessly stuck to her shoulder. Couple more runners passed us from here, 3 of us running together. 150m or so to go I kicked and left the two of them easily, they had no legs.. maybe she didn't care tbh. Crossed the line happy, much happier than last March.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143703716

Finished 33rd which was okay. My running has come on a bit since dropping 4kg, still have another 9 to go now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Well done dude and enjoyed the report (love reading reports and have been starved lately :))

What is the weight down to now btw?

Well done dude and enjoyed the report (love reading reports and have been starved lately :))

What is the weight down to now btw?

12st 4lbs... heavy. I was 13st at the Jingle Bells 5k so making steady progress. Aim is to dip under 11st in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice report. I was looking forward to the power data in GC but then twigged you're on a PT. :(

What's the plan to drop the weight?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice report. I was looking forward to the power data in GC but then twigged you're on a PT. :(

What's the plan to drop the weight?

I'll mail you on a CSV if you like.

Plan is.. continue as I am going, count calories and trying to use them on good quality foods. I do expect to reach a point where my current method will have diminished returns, I will have to look at cleaning my diet up more after that. I reckon that point should not come until I reach 11-12% fat anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Are you planning on doing any of the Fingal/Sportsman Duathlons? Might see if i can fit in one of those Naas races into the schedule if it works.

Are you planning on doing any of the Fingal/Sportsman Duathlons? Might see if i can fit in one of those Naas races into the schedule if it works.

I have Dundalk penciled in for March, had planned on doing Naas but I am pretty tired of the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'll mail you on a CSV if you like.

Plan is.. continue as I am going, count calories and trying to use them on good quality foods. I do expect to reach a point where my current method will have diminished returns, I will have to look at cleaning my diet up more after that. I reckon that point should not come until I reach 11-12% fat anyway.

Do so. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Anybody know what time the race is on Sunday? Triathlon Ireland and the following link don't have any details of race start time.
    http://www.naastriathlonclub.com/2012.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Registration is from 10:30 until 12. Race starts at 12:30

Registration is from 10:30 until 12. Race starts at 12:30

Thanks for that. Had planned on doing the Limerick Duathlon on Sunday but the later start of the Naas race is starting to appeal to me more.

• Advertisement

see you all there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Was supposed to do this but work has gotten in the way :(

Did today's Naas race have a shorter bike leg? The times look unsually fast. EG; Aoife Lynch did the bike leg in the last race in 37:05 but today her bike time was 30:55.

it was shorter by about 2km's due to roadworks and temporary traffic lights closer into blessington

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

An enjoyable race yesterday in the blistering sun.

Can anyone tell me the distance of the run course? I have a feeling it was not 3.5k, going on the fact that I ran the course quicker than my current pace for a recent 2mile PB.

Macanri wrote: »
    An enjoyable race yesterday in the blistering sun.

Can anyone tell me the distance of the run course? I have a feeling it was not 3.5k, going on the fact that I ran the course quicker than my current pace for a recent 2mile PB.

Yea I did the previous race & although I didn't have a Garmin, I thought the run was more like 3.2k going by my pace at a recent 5k race.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

PWEI wrote: »
    Yea I did the previous race & although I didn't have a Garmin, I thought the run was more like 3.2k going by my pace at a recent 5k race.

I had 1st run about 3.15km and 2nd 3.36km or so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I had 1st run about 3.15km and 2nd 3.36km or so

how did your AP relate to your FTP Gav?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

tunney wrote: »
    how did your AP relate to your FTP Gav?

From Training Peaks I have around 310W AP, 330W NP for 29:30 of the bike section of the race.
    My indoor 20min was 263W so 250W for indoor.

Is there usually that much difference between in and out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

From Training Peaks I have around 310W AP, 330W NP for 29:30 of the bike section of the race.
    My indoor 20min was 263W so 250W for indoor.

Is there usually that much difference between in and out?

AP Gav...............

Advertisement