Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

triathlons..interesting..

Options
  • 19-01-2012 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

ok so i've been running since before i could walk, but i'm kinda taking more of an interest in the triathlon the past yr or so. it's always been at the back of mind, as i've been told i'm a strong swimmer, and feel comfortable in the water but had never really taken an interest in cycling. until the past 18mnths, when i took to the bike to try get bck fit again, and then again returned to the bike when i was injured.i took up spinning since, which isn't exactly the same i know but it's something. did a 3hr charity spin class before xmas with enda smyth and puked my ring up after :eek: but i absolutely loved hw i was able to push myself so hard on the bike, which i haven't been able to do in running for a long time.... haven't been on it that much recently, gone to the odd spin class every week or so but finding it hard to go out on the bike alone and don't really know how far to go, should i do intervals on the bike, etc etc. and am sitting xams atm, so just getting out for running is the only training i can think about atm. :(

so first thing is what kind of bike should i gt? i've been looking at getting a new one for the past yr but never gt round to it. at the moment im just using ur typical women's mountain bike but would like something that i could use for cycling to work and for possible triathlons..

next thing is clubs or groups in the dublin area that meet regularly?.. the running is taken care of through my athletics club, but i wouldn have a problem going along to help other ppl with that aspect of triathlons as im sure theyd return the favour to me on the other 2 disciplines. i know of a club in clontarf but don't really know much about clubs and what you want from them? (im in my early 20s and have no problem training with ppl who may not be my age, as i often go running with men and women of all ages, but i wouldn mind having ppl my age invovled)

at the moment this is still just a thought, as i said ive exams and that, but even if i could just get started on the basics at least then i will have some sort of feel for what's involved. and i need a new bike regardless so any info on that would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I'm going to point you in the direction of these two current threads, which discuss joining a club and doing your first race. Plently of people in the same boat as you so they should help.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056446306

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056509678

The bike is a difficult question. Easy answer is a roadbike from Wheelworx. Most of them out there have a decent idea what they're talking about so should see you right. Best bet is to bring along someone who knows a little about bikes, who could point you in the right direction, and maybe push for a better deal.

And don't worry about feeling too young, us triathletes all think we're still kids anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Most of them out there have a decent idea what they're talking about so should see you right

Hah, that made my day.. I needed a laugh :)

Maybe 3 years ago, not now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭twonpelota

The bike is a difficult question. Easy answer is a roadbike from Wheelworx. Most of them out there have a decent idea what they're talking about so should see you right. Best bet is to bring along someone who knows a little about bikes, who could point you in the right direction, and maybe push for a better deal.

And don't worry about feeling too young, us triathletes all think we're still kids anyway!!

There was a day I would agree with this. That day is long gone.

Recently went as the "someone brought along" for someone getting their first "not one of my twon's old bikes" bike. Went around every shop, CCS was the only one whose staff were knowledgeable and helpful. Was very disappointed in Wheelworx, bad advice & poor range. This is on top of the previous 7 trips that I just left the shop after having someone try to mis-sell stuff to me. Out of the last 8 I've made there I've left empty handed and angry each time.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Hah, that made my day.. I needed a laugh :)

Maybe 3 years ago, not now.

As I said, easy answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

cool thanks for the links!

and don't i know it, know a couple of men who regularly compete in tris just for the craic and they regress to school boys when it comes to racing against eachother. it just seems like a bita banter and different than just running the whole time, which i do love but would like a new challenge

• Advertisement

twonpelota wrote: »

Recently went as the "someone brought along" for someone getting their first "not one of my twon's old bikes" bike. Went around every shop, CCS was the only one whose staff were knowledgeable and helpful. Was very disappointed in Wheelworx, bad advice & poor range. This is on top of the previous 7 trips that I just left the shop after having someone try to mis-sell stuff to me. Out of the last 8 I've made there I've left empty handed and angry each time.

Fair enough. Scratch Wheelworx and replace with CycleSuperStore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

twonpelota wrote: »

Cool that answers my question then. Was going to ask about CSS, bought my current bike there and hoping to buy a new one in the next few months. Was going to go back to CSS anyway...

Are cycleways much good? Haven't been to base2race in ages, anyone know what their selection of bikes is like?

Roseybear, whereabouts in Dublin are you based? The main forum here has a group training sessions thread which is mostly for running but some people on here meet up for cycles and OW swims occassionally. No harm in trying to organise cycles with people on here if you don't have a group to go out with - some people can't make their club cycles so would only be happy to have some company doing one. I'll be doing a few short cycles in a few weeks with a couple of friends who are just getting their first bikes if you'd like to join us.

You'll probably be one of the youngest in a club/group - sure even with running and athletics clubs there are only a few people in their early 20's.

Cool that answers my question then. Was going to ask about CSS, bought my current bike there and hoping to buy a new one in the next few months. Was going to go back to CSS anyway...

Upgrading already? Well and truly bitten!

Upgrading already? Well and truly bitten!

I've had William 2.5 years now. :p

My new bike already has a name, I just don't have my new bike yet. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Are cycleways much good? Haven't been to base2race in ages, anyone know what their selection of bikes is like?

Roseybear, whereabouts in Dublin are you based? The main forum here has a group training sessions thread which is mostly for running but some people on here meet up for cycles and OW swims occassionally. No harm in trying to organise cycles with people on here if you don't have a group to go out with - some people can't make their club cycles so would only be happy to have some company doing one. I'll be doing a few short cycles in a few weeks with a couple of friends who are just getting their first bikes if you'd like to join us.

You'll probably be one of the youngest in a club/group - sure even with running and athletics clubs there are only a few people in their early 20's.

yeh that's wat i was hoping, to find ppl who would need company. im going to be starting a 9 mnth nursing internship in a few mnths so trying to build up contacts who might have similar working hrs as i'll have!! im beside the phoenix park, in the dublin 7/15area. i would actually b interested in that, have an xam next tuesday and then was looking at getting the bike in the days after that, so a test cycle in a group would be useful! keep me posted closer to the time and i'll c hw im getting on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I've had William 2.5 years now. :p

My new bike already has a name, I just don't have my new bike yet. :(

What kind of bike are you looking at racoon?

roseybear wrote: »
    yeh that's wat i was hoping, to find ppl who would need company. im going to be starting a 9 mnth nursing internship in a few mnths so trying to build up contacts who might have similar working hrs as i'll have!! im beside the phoenix park, in the dublin 7/15area. i would actually b interested in that, have an xam next tuesday and then was looking at getting the bike in the days after that, so a test cycle in a group would be useful! keep me posted closer to the time and i'll c hw im getting on :D

Cool, not far from the park myself so feel free to give me a shout. The park is bareable for a few laps and it's not too far from the countryside for some real cycling.
    catweazle wrote: »
    What kind of bike are you looking at racoon?

No idea really at the moment, had been browsing the net for one before Christmas - given I'm so short I've ruled out buying a second hand one, my chances of finding the right size are slim. Will probably rope in someone who knows more about bike than me to help with the next purchase. CSS will probably sell me a lapierre again. :) Definitely not going for a TT bike yet anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I havent bought anything expensive in cycleways, but they've always been friendly and helpful when I went in. Probably worth avoiding them at the weekend and you'll get a bit more time out of them if possible. Im a big fan of base2race, i think they might have a better selection of bikes on the floor since they revamped the shop but i wouldn't expect them to have exactly what you want when you go in.... they seem more the type of place that has a bunch of things on display and plenty of suppliers, but may have to order in the specific bike you're looking for in your size after a bit of chatting with them. Friendly and knowledgable guys, currently they sort of fit the descriptions that I've seen people traditionally attributed to wheelworx (small, very knowledgable staff etc.). After getting a bikefit on my first road bike that I got from wiggle to just dip into the triathlon thing, I ended up getting my new bike from them lastyear (which involved a few visits to check the initial size, and then do a full bikefit for 1hr+ which got it all setup perfectly). I wouldn't say you'll find any amazing bargains there, but certainly great value in terms of price/knowledge/support/afterservice etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I had someone in Wheelworx tell me at the weekend that there is no such thing as a 53/38 on a 110bcd so i decided not to argue and just ordered one online when i got home;)

Poor William RQ you selling him already. Try out a few bikes and see what takes your fancy.

Poor William RQ you selling him already. Try out a few bikes and see what takes your fancy.

William is in no fit state to be sold unfortunately. I neglected him a bit when I first got him. He'll be downgraded to full time commuter if I can afford a new bike.

William lives in the already narrow hall though, feck knows where I'll put Richard when I get him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

William lives in the already narrow hall though, feck knows where I'll put Richard when I get him. :D

Upgrading from Willy to Dick :D

Upgrading from Willy to Dick :D

Congrats. Only the second person who has ever picked up on the joke. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

kingQuez wrote: »
    . Im a big fan of base2race, i think they might have a better selection of bikes on the floor since they revamped the shop but i wouldn't expect them to have exactly what you want when you go in.... they seem more the type of place that has a bunch of things on display and plenty of suppliers, but may have to order in the specific bike you're looking for in your size after a bit of chatting with them. Friendly and knowledgable guys, currently they sort of fit the descriptions that I've seen people traditionally attributed to wheelworx (small, very knowledgable staff etc.). After getting a bikefit on my first road bike that I got from wiggle to just dip into the triathlon thing, I ended up getting my new bike from them lastyear (which involved a few visits to check the initial size, and then do a full bikefit for 1hr+ which got it all setup perfectly). I wouldn't say you'll find any amazing bargains there, but certainly great value in terms of price/knowledge/support/afterservice etc.

I'm a big Base2Race fan too - bought a new bike from them last summer & they really were brilliant. Talked to me about wanted the bike for etc then suggested spa few in different price ranges & explained exactly where the extra money was going on different bikes - It wasn't a pushy sales pitch though & I felt they educated me & let me decide rather than saying like a few other shops I tried( who were more like "I've a grand bike for you here" & proceeded
    to push it on me!)

The bike fit etc - Dom spent literally hours getting it right for me and I really do notice the difference from a comfort point of view on longer cycles.

I go back to Base2Race again & I've sent several friends their direction too. I just didn't get the attention they gave me anywhere else.

Advertisement