Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming: Is there such things as "fun-swims"

Options
  • 19-01-2012 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

I am training at the moment for an event and need to get to grips with open-water swimming and swimming in big groups.
    Like fun runs is there anything like that in open water? I have googled it and it keeps sending my back to the IWS website.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Where do you live ?

When I was on holidays in Dunmore East last summer, there was a crowd
    went for a swim from the beach out and back every evening.

I am sure there are similar gatherings on other suitable beachs that
    you could join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Surely the Swimming forum would be a better bet? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There are a few ow swim events around the country. A few of the seasoned triathletes might be able to help you out if you post in the sub forum they've been shunned to :D I don't have any links to the websites on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'll move this into the quarantine area now, see if any of the unclean can help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Where are you based OP?
    There are plenty of OW swimming in Ireland. Plenty of posters in the swimming forum do them, including myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Thanks folks, in Dublin.
    Will checkout the sub-thread of the unwanted to see what i can find

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Plenty of OW swims in Dublin, most can be found on
    http://www.swimleinster.com/OpenSea/opensea.htm

They mainly swim in togs, wetsuits are allowed but not applicable for prices.

Thanks OKane. Will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

A lot of the Tri clubs would have open water swims for members so that new triathletes aren't swimming in open water for the first time in a race. I know we had a couple last year and would expect the same again this year. A couple of us also organised OW swims with friends from other clubs so we could get the safety aspect covered.

IIRC there was a thread in here of people organising OW training swims looking for others to come along last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Id imagine that thread will come back soon enough. I need to look into getting into the ow a lot more this year and preferably with a bunch to simulate the chaos of races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Bambaata wrote: »
    Id imagine that thread will come back soon enough. I need to look into getting into the ow a lot more this year and preferably with a bunch to simulate the chaos of races.

Dont think it'll work. Everyone's going to be too far behind you

ha i wish.

That sounds like what I am looking for. Don't care if I come last, but its getting used to the chaos of a race day.
    Swimming as part of a relay and don't want to be DQ'd before the other guys get their shot.

Will keep an eye on here for the thread. Thanks Bambaata.

No worries. Im hoping to get back into the OW around March myself so if i dont see a thread then ill pop one up

Advertisement