Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon Gear : What do I need to get started ?

Options
  • 18-01-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Guys. I'm hoping to do a triathlon later this year (try a tri probably). I'm not the best swimmer and that is the part that worries me most so I'm thinking a tryatri would be best. I've never swam in open water.

Anyway. What kind of gear do I need. As of right now all I have is a mountain bike (Carrera Vulcan http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-carrera-vulcan-07-27707/) and running gear.

I guess I'd need a wetsuit at the least. Also, I'd need a new bike no ? Anything else ? Any other options (rent/borrow a bike) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hi brianon

Bike
    You could use that mountain bike for the try a tri and get a feel for a triathlon. Or you could borrow a road bike. Just make sure the tyres and brakes are in good nick and you have a good helmet. What event are you planning to dip your toe in?

Wetsuit
    I'd advise popping into Glessons in Limerick and trying on some entry level wetsuits around March-April wehn the stock arrives in. The entry level suits are generally thicker, heavier at the waist and legs and help the beginner to get a better body position in the water. I started with a Blueseventy entry level suitand it did me just fine for my first 2 seasons.

Keep an eye on www.limericktriathlon.com over the spring as some wet suit providers could pop into town for a demo session. Also the first OW swim sessions will be announced in advanced. There is a good Coached OW session each summer that starts mid may.

For now get the work done in the pool so you can enjoy the OW sessions. There is a cycle each Sunday from the parkway at 10am too but you would need a road bike. Speed of session is generally 25kmh and lasts 1.5-2 hours.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Run gear youre sorted for.:) Your bike will get you around if you have no other options, once its mechanically sound. If you choose a race with a pool swim, you wont need a wetsuit. Laois in April is one, for instance. They tend to be at the beginning and end of the season. I've seen people do ow tris in cheap shorty suits, but it wouldnt be my choice. You can rent a wetsuit, (I'd have to check where because I havent had to but Ive seen it mentioned before) but as mentioned you really should have experienced open water in training before your first race anyway, so you'd need your own suit. €100 might get you entry level one, thats what I paid two years ago and I havent changed it yet.

Smaller things that make life easier in tri:

Elastic laces in your shoes
    A number belt
    A trisuit (not essential but really handy)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Thanks guys. In terms of open water swimming. I was wondering (assuming I got a suit) ... just how would I gain experience ?

I was thinking of the Worlds End Triathlon in August (Castleconnell (where I live), Limerick).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kip d

The entries are open for Athy, the sprint is an ideal race to start with, the swim is mainly down stream and it is shallow enough to stand up for the most part. There are some good wetsuit deals on chainreactioncycles.com at the moment. Apart from a wetsuit I wouldn't bother buying anything else all the other stuff just serves to shave off a few seconds here and there.

brianon wrote: »
    Thanks guys. In terms of open water swimming. I was wondering (assuming I got a suit) ... just how would I gain experience ?

I was thinking of the Worlds End Triathlon in August (Castleconnell (where I live), Limerick).
    Find out if a local club does ow swims and see if you can do them too. If you cant find anyone to swim with you find a safe swim area to use but DO NOT GO ALONE. If you dont know a swimmer, ask a kayaker, and if all else fails always have someone watch you from shore.

• Advertisement

Thanks again guys. All much appreciated.

I could see my bike holding up to a Try-a-Tri but a Sprint 20km...I'd need a road bike for that for sure right ? What kind of price would we be talking about for an entry level bike ?

Ive seen guys on mtbs do sprint distance.

Have a look on the cycling forum, adverts.ie or donedeal for a s/h bike, its a good time of year to buy with people trading up.

Oryx wrote: »
    Ive seen guys on mtbs do sprint distance.

Have a look on the cycling forum, adverts.ie or donedeal for a s/h bike, its a good time of year to buy with people trading up.

I wouldn't even know what frame size to look for. I'm 6 foot 1 inch if that helps !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

brianon wrote: »
    I wouldn't even know what frame size to look for. I'm 6 foot 1 inch if that helps !

Probably a 56or 58, but that statement comes with many many buts.

Ok. I guess I could do without a road bike for this year (maybe) if it's going to be a try-a-tri and maybe sprint tnext year.

I terms of a wet suit, I'll have to wait til later in the year. I've a few lbs to shed and maybe mid summer would be a better time to pick one up. Of course that then doesn;t leave much time to practice any ow swims. However, the World's End Try-a-try is only a 175 meter (not that I could swim ANYTHING near that right noweven in a pool) swim so maybe I could get away wit pool swimming until then !?

• Advertisement

The main problem I had in ow initially was that the cold affected my breathing. For such a short distance its not going to matter much but it will help you to have dipped your toe in at least once so you know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Oryx wrote: »
    The main problem I had in ow initially was that the cold affected my breathing. For such a short distance its not going to matter much but it will help you to have dipped your toe in at least once so you know what to expect.

My biggest problem was, and still is, swimming straight..

Ok. Taking a step back ... I need to learn to swim asap ;)

Well I can swim BUT I am completely self taught and can't swim far when trying to enforce what I think is good technique. I can 'get by' if want to go further and not worry about timing/breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Id recommend you get a basic bike. Something like this perhaps - Basic Bike

Bambaata wrote: »
    Id recommend you get a basic bike. Something like this perhaps - Basic Bike
    That should have a nsfw tag :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doozer16

it is possible to rent tri or road bikes in The Edge Tri shop in Cork, i think they do a decent enough deal for a few days rental. So you could train on your mtb and then get a few days practice on the rental before race day.

Thanks. Not a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

getting away from the P5 joke, all you need is something basic. I did my first race on a hybrid i had. The next race i did i borrowed a road bike and the following year i decided i liked these events and bought my own road bike. When i realised i really really liked the events i spent more on a bike than i did on my car :P But to start just keep it inexpensive and see if you actually enjoy it. After that you can decide how far you want to go

Advertisement