Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CutterHeadRecords

Options
  • 16-01-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place.

We cut records:pac:

http://www.cutterheadrecords.com/

Website is still mostly under construction but you get the jist.

Turnaround is 4-5weeks

Edit: If people are wondering about price with regards to Peter King and others. It is that Peter King embosses his records. This is the process of dented records with a blunt stylus at 45* to the vertical plane without removing material from the disc. Where as we actually cut into surface and removing material as we cut.

If anybody has any questions or just want to nerd out, drop us a line. We don't bite.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

im sorry if im misunderstanding your pricing but are you charging 30 euro per unit on black 12" and 10% discount on orders over 10 units? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Yes, If we could make it cheaper we would.
    still cheaper than 12" acetate dubplate without the degradation of a dubplate.

no offence but i can get 1 unit mastered (by a noted mastering engineer on all analog gear) and printed on a decent weight vinyl at the exchange or curvepusher for less than 4 euro on a 500 run and even cheaper in europe. that includes artwork.

i would take a serious look at your pricing if i was you, a few euro in the differance may be ok on small runs but charging over 7 times as much is crazy.

no offence but i can get 1 unit mastered (by a noted mastering engineer on all analog gear) and printed on a decent weight vinyl at the exchange or curvepusher for less than 4 euro on a 500 run and even cheaper in europe. that includes artwork.

i would take a serious look at your pricing if i was you, a few euro in the differance may be ok on small runs but charging over 7 times as much is crazy.

Pressing or cutting?

on which compound polys or pvc?

cut and pressed on PVC 180g.

dont get me wrong, i do understand the big costs involved with small runs but im just putting you wide to whats available across the water on more realisticly sized runs.

• Advertisement

Ah, i get where your coming from now.

We dont Press anything.

Maybe i wasn't clear enough with regards to what we offer.

This might clear some things up
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubplate

We don't offer exclusively to Dj's
    Here is photo of PCB Copper Dubplate
    Shovel-1023x497.jpg Dubplate

ah no worries, i was assuming your prices were for glass master and subsequent pressings.

God no!! Id fairly have some screws loose if I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Radiosurfer

Fantastic. I hope to be in touch over the next few months. Great to see this service available here. Best of luck, hope it's a huge success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

We want photos. Show us the gear!!!!

• Advertisement

315701_166176006796995_100002137910575_342450_1138497508_n1.jpg

Its basically a Presto 6N overhead mounted onto a Collins 200s TT.
    Bit of history
    The overhead came from St. Petersburg in Russia, needed a fair amount of TLC when it arrived here. The feedscrew, which is the part that sits under the cutter carriage(red unit in the corner with wires attached) was one solid piece, so i had to remove that and get a machinist to make new part for crank handle and worm gear.
    This opened us up to having feedscrew's for changing LPI(lines per inch) and having better sounding cuts, but I had to hunt down these feedscrew schematics as they are no longer mass produced. we found them from a chap in montonna, US
    We then had to attach a swarf removal, you can see from picture the clear PVC pipe coming from back of the overhead. The overhead was never designed to have one so again I had to go to machinist to make one. This stops chip/swarf from staying on the disc and damaging the disc or needle while it cuts.
    Considering most of plastics I cut of some of the hardest around and we use Diamond stylus(which don't come cheap average is about 300E, with no guarantee of life) I had to install a heating system onto to the stylus which you can see under the laptop and running into the front of the head. heating the stylus, making it easier to cut and prolonging stylus life.

The TT is a Collins 200s with a Bodine motor 1800rpm 1/75HP, and has 18kgsqcm of torque to avoid all flutter issues. Especially while cutting the copper plates. came from up-state New York. not much to say there it is what is, a beast of a TT.

Cutting head is a Neumann ES59. We had to build the feedback amp for the head as you can't just go out and purchase one from off the shelf. Feedback is basically when a transient peak is detected in the head the signal is sent back to the feedback amp, its phase is turned 180* cancelling out the transient peak, and then sent back into the loop, giving better bass freq. response. Each amp is built just for the each different head. I couldn't use that amp with another head say Neumann sx74 or Vinylium SC-99

Rack on the left is just a Grapic EQ for Invertered R.I.A.A curve, Amp to power the head and feedback amp

Since that photo was taken I have changed out the microscope and put in a better monocular scope for better groove/land measurements.

Granted, it looks like a piece of sh*t. its a workhorse and can take the abuse I give it with out giving me any hassle. Depending on how the next 6-8 months turn out, I'll try hunt down a Scully lathe chasis and start a rebuild on that. Taking out the scully fixed pitched system and having the chaps from vinylium install their pitch computer. I should then open myself up to cutting 14" lacquers for pressing
    The-lathe1.jpg

For those who use Facebook, you can follow me here.

http://www.facebook.com/CutterHeadRecords
    www.cutterheadrecords.com
    There is an offer of

4-8 tracks mastering with 2 free tracks for Autumn months and the continue of free sample master.

528119_458773014163290_1721473945_n.jpg
    387000_459482520759006_1981431735_n.jpg

Best
    Peter

Now have attended sessions available no extra charge.

Autumn months are nearly over and the autumn special will be coming to an end.

For the winter months I will be running a 10% discount special on +3 track mastering

So, I am getting busy here for the winter months alot of electronic music coming through my doors, a lot of work for transfer to Dup-lates also. Next up is drum and bass lads Faible & Konfusion from Austria with transfer to vinyl.

I have a dropbox sample folder here for anybody interested in getting some work done.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/09vzi52u2yd6dsn/8eQt4se2Aa

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Radiosurfer

Delighted to hear your your being kept busy. Would love to get something done at some point.

You know where I am when the time comes RS. I shall post some sample masters later tonight for folks.

Edit: Some links on the website now. I shall keep updating as previous work comes online.

Recently had the pleasure to work with the DNB lads FaibleKonfusion. Available soon on 12" from SMPTM.

http://soundcloud.com/cutterheadrecords/faiblekonfusion-deeper-reality

• Advertisement

I have started building a new mastering and cutting room in Dublin. Might do a build thread here if anybody has and interest in following it?

Edit:

My room cutting system is the Neumann VMS70 "maxi cut" and sal74.
    The maxi cut was a design by EMI engineers, the was only ever 2 designed for their world operations.

It was only ever used by them and never released the schematics to Neumann, as they controlled 90% of the other major labels cutting back between 1975-90's and didn't want to release their grip.

They can cut louder than all VMS and still retain the low end without skipping issues on the disk. Pretty amazing engineering.

One is in OZ the other went to S.A and is now in Ireland.
    A lot of history.

Deep Purple
    Pink Floyd
    Beatles

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/emi-maxicut-record-mastering-vinyl-cutting-process.102348/

Now taking booking for cutting for February forward. So if your interested in getting your master lacquers or dubplates cut with me get in touch.

I can also send your production lacquers to pressing and look after the whole process for you.

Am still here.

Recently mastered "Travis Oaks" and the "State Lights".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WrAamdMO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNIGcwkKkec

info@chrmastering.eu

I am still alive and well..:D:D

www.chrmastering.com

DSC_0234_zpszkoov5k0.jpg

Advertisement