Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New DAW from some ex Ableton guys

Options
  • 15-01-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Just came across this
    Looks very simialr to ableton alright but with improvements,Still got that **** ableton style though(just my opinion)

http://bitwig.com/bitwig_studio.php

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

seannash wrote: »
    Still got that **** ableton style though

You're just an Ableton hater.

I'm still knocking around with Ableton 7, and I think I'm still only getting a fraction out of it from what it can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

krd wrote: »
    You're just an Ableton hater.

I'm still knocking around with Ableton 7, and I think I'm still only getting a fraction out of it from what it can do.
    Sigh.

Nice of you to leave out the (Just my opinion) part of my quote man.
    Happy that your happy using ableton.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I really like the look of it.

If anything it'll give the lads @ Ableton HQ a bit of competition to spice things up.

I'd say there's gobba be a serious amount of stuff released or at least announced around NAMM this Wednesday.

eeloe wrote: »
    I really like the look of it.

If anything it'll give the lads @ Ableton HQ a bit of competition to spice things up.

I'd say there's gobba be a serious amount of stuff released or at least announced around NAMM this Wednesday.
    Id Imagine Ableton will hold off on Ableton 9 to see what these guys come up with in order to impliment it.

Sigh.

Nice of you to leave out the (Just my opinion) part of my quote man.
    Happy that your happy using ableton.

Even if I leave out the "just my opinion" part, it is still you're opinion. When you say "just my opinion" doesn't mean it's someone else opinion - doesn't mean your off the hook.

It's only an opinion on a DAW, so it's not like it's that important anyway.

What I've learned (the hard way) - it's not really about the tools - it's how you use them. There are quite few things I'd like to see Ableton do, for me I've learned, the most effective philosophy is to work with what you have, and not with what you don't have.

Also, with less features, it pushes you to find ways of doing things, and it may turn out those things are simpler than you first imagined. You can overload yourself with different tools.

That's just my opinion.

• Advertisement

What exactly are you letting me off the hook with.i express an opinion on how I personally dont like how a piece of software looks and all of a sudden i'm a hater.then for some reason you decide to "school "me by trotting out the old mantra of less is more and how you found out this the hard way.what has any of that got to do with what I posted about?i posted a link to a new daw,if you dont have an opinion on it dont post.

What exactly are you letting me off the hook with.i express an opinion on how I personally dont like how a piece of software looks and all of a sudden i'm a hater.

Jesus, Sean, I'm not accusing you of war crimes or child murder.

How can you tell how it works from what it looks like?.

And it doesn't look that radical. It looks a lot like Ableton, but they've moved a few pieces around. I've read over the features, and it doesn't seem to be offering more than Ableton.

then for some reason you decide to "school "me by trotting out the old mantra of less is more and how you found out this the hard way.what has any of that got to do with what I posted about?i posted a link to a new daw,if you dont have an opinion on it dont post.

I wouldn't say less is more. I think it's more of a case that all the DAWs have caught up with each other. And there's not much radically new they can offer.

I've put my name down for a Bitwig Beta test - I might take a look.

I think the guys who originally built Ableton were ex-Steinberg employees.

Anyway Sean. No offence intended.

Here the thing,i said how it looks not how it performs.i dont like abletons stripped back look/style

Here the thing,i said how it looks not how it performs.i dont like abletons stripped back look/style

The look can make a big difference in a way that it can effect how you work with it.

The only reason I've considering upgrading from Ableton 7 to 8, is a feature that lets you group and hide stuff. They more cluttered the screen becomes for me the more I lose control of what I'm doing.

For me anyway. I can become overwhelmed by buttons and knobs. And it can take so long to learn what they do - beyond "knowing" what they do, actually automatically knowing when you need to use them - and when to completely ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

If either Ableton 9 can match the quality of Logic's plug-ins, and sound, or a new Logic can match Ableton's audio manipulation, they'll become the clear winner, for the moment it seems both serve a certain different purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

The workflow means a whole lot more to me then the DAWs own plugins. You can always get third party plugins in Ableton....on the other hand Logic cant get a third party Session View.

This new DAW looks pretty slick, very obviously influenced by Ableton but it looks like a move in the right direction. That networked feature is amazing. Id be interested for that feature alone. I still have faith in Ableton though, high hopes for v9 and if net hype is anything to go by (and yes Im aware its often not) we should be seeing it announced in the next few months.

If either Ableton 9 can match the quality of Logic's plug-ins, and sound, or a new Logic can match Ableton's audio manipulation, they'll become the clear winner, for the moment it seems both serve a certain different purpose.

When any of them come out with a de-procrastinator plug-in I'm going rush out and buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

krd wrote: »
    I think the guys who originally built Ableton were ex-Steinberg employees.
    Former Native Instruments employees.
    Presonus Studio One is made by the former Steinberg employees.

Can't wait for the Bitwig beta! Hope the price is reasonable - with Reaper and Logic's bargain basement prices, it might force their hand.

Hooray for the ever-declining value of digital goods!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Wow, that LAN functionality looks great! Can nothing else do that?

Also, anyone know if it will support multiple audio devices? Only being able to use one interface at a time with Live is a little bit of a bummer sometimes.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Wow, that LAN functionality looks great! Can nothing else do that?

Also, anyone know if it will support multiple audio devices? Only being able to use one interface at a time with Live is a little bit of a bummer sometimes.

You could try this http://nerds.de/en/ipmidi.html

I haven't. I'd be very interested to see how someone gets on with it.

I think really interesting things could be done with it - like being able to do more with live musicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Bitwig looks really good IMO , Im currently using ableton 8 re wired to cubase 4.5 , Ableton is great for getting ideas down , not a fan of mixing down on it though, Interesting to see how much Bitwig is going to go for compared to Ableton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Well, they've said the beta would be out in a few days - a week ago...

Carrying on in time-(non-)honoured Ableton tradition?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dontron

Im gonna switch if the plugins sound better and linux can do midi with less jitter, i have a 500 yoyo firewire card and midi is far from rock solid

Advertisement