Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook page to help FIND NEW MUSICIANS to jam with!

Options
  • 13-01-2012 4:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey everyone,
    Please join my new site to make it easy for musicians to find other musicians to jam with! please like the page and share with your friends to help more people get involved. Thanks.
    Ruairi

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hey everyone,
    Please join my new site to make it easy for musicians to find other musicians to jam with! please like the page and share with your friends to help more people get involved. Thanks.
    Ruairi

Wow. You're not very good at this whole spamming thing. You completely forgot to include a link to the site you want people to join! :eek: How embarrassing. And I thought I'd seen it all after 5 years on this site. Boy oh boy, well I never...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Wow. You're not very good at this whole spamming thing. You completely forgot to include a link to the site you want people to join! :eek: How embarrassing. And I thought I'd seen it all after 5 years on this site. Boy oh boy, well I never...
    I was just thinking the same myself...lol.:)

No hidden links either....n00bie spammer Ruairi.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And banned already. The best of times, the blurst of times!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Just in case you think about registering another account to tell us the name of the Facebook group, I'd be fairly sure that the moderators of this forum would delete it, as your sole reason for joining the site was to promote another site, and this is against the site's Terms of Use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭guitarwrist

Christ!!! Talk about shooting a man when he's trying to help!! God forbid if any of the financial backers of boards.ie should see a link to a, er, let me see..., oh yeah, another musicians forum on their own musicians forum! God be with the days when you were a visitor to this site and you saw an advertisement to a commercial organisation you were prompted that if you were registered and logged in, you would not see such advertising. I am registered, logged in, and see a flashing animated advertisement to one of the sites mentioned at the foot of this page. Alas boards.ie has succumbed to, Nay, has become, the MAN!

Christ!!! Talk about shooting a man when he's trying to help!! God forbid if any of the financial backers of boards.ie should see a link to a, er, let me see..., oh yeah, another musicians forum on their own musicians forum!
    Would you think the same if every second post in the Forum was someone linking to their own Site?
    God be with the days when you were a visitor to this site and you saw an advertisement to a commercial organisation you were prompted that if you were registered and logged in, you would not see such advertising. I am registered, logged in, and see a flashing animated advertisement to one of the sites mentioned at the foot of this page. Alas boards.ie has succumbed to, Nay, has become, the MAN!
    You read it wrong, if you are a subscriber you won't see the ads.

I disagree, a few years ago the rule was if you were registered and logged in, the ads were not visible, not a subscriber. Maybe thats changed. Maybe one of the mods could clarify that point.

I also have on reliable account from a current mod that a lot of the work done by the mods is done to appease the financial backers.. Again maybe the mods could throw some light on that one!

Maybe Shield can clarify so.....

Maybe Shield can clarify so.....

Or Insect Overlord who pounced on this thread 5 minutes after it was created. They must have called an EGM!

• Advertisement

I also have on reliable account from a current mod that a lot of the work done by the mods is done to appease the financial backers.. Again maybe the mods could throw some light on that one!
    I was thinking about this, it's bull.

Mods are Volunteers, who use some of their free time to "keep the peace" and maintain abit of Order within Forums that they may have a special interest in.

Boards financial sources would be the nicely placed (in fairness) ads that you see, the Commercial entities in the "Talk To" Section, subscribers and maybe some other source I can't think of.

Why would Advertisers that pay to put ads on here care about what the Mods do? They care about unique IP addresses and that's about it.

I suppose you could spin what you said for the Mods in the "Talk to" section but those Forums run without many problems that require a Mod to step in.
    Or Insect Overlord who pounced on this thread 5 minutes after it was created. They must have called an EGM!
    Their's a bunch of Users (myself included, which is why I arrived shortly after Insect) who when online keep an eye out for spammer wh-ores that can clog up a whole first page of a Forum within minutes if given the chance.

In these Threads you can click a link for some cool freebies, and possibily brick your computer at the same time, I'm sure a few Unknowning Users have clicked such links, Do you see many of these cool freebie Links around?

We add these wh-ores to a special thread where they can be banned by any Mod currently online to stop them creating Threads and then one of the Admins of the site, using their free time will permanently ban them when they login. All this is to keep the site an enjoyable place for Users.

You'd probably be first to complain if you logged in to see a pile of User Advertisements, hell you're complaining about the nice Ads.

I was thinking about this, it's bull.

Mods are Volunteers, who use some of their free time to "keep the peace" and maintain abit of Order within Forums that they may have a special interest in.

Boards financial sources would be the nicely placed (in fairness) ads that you see, the Commercial entities in the "Talk To" Section, subscribers and maybe some other source I can't think of.

Why would Advertisers that pay to put ads on here care about what the Mods do? They care about unique IP addresses and that's about it.

I suppose you could spin what you said for the Mods in the "Talk to" section but those Forums run without many problems that require a Mod to step in.

Their's a bunch of Users (myself included, which is why I arrived shortly after Insect) who when online keep an eye out for spammer wh-ores that can clog up a whole first page of a Forum within minutes if given the chance.

In these Threads you can click a link for some cool freebies, and possibily brick your computer at the same time, I'm sure a few Unknowning Users have clicked such links, Do you see many of these cool freebie Links around?

We add these wh-ores to a special thread where they can be banned by any Mod currently online to stop them creating Threads and then one of the Admins of the site, using their free time will permanently ban them when they login. All this is to keep the site an enjoyable place for Users.

You'd probably be first to complain if you logged in to see a pile of User Advertisements, hell you're complaining about the nice Ads.

Far from Bull mate.

Why aren't the mods responding to both of our questions above? Commercial sensitivity of course!! They are not going to diss their advertisers / corporate backers. Your little utopic world where the boards.ie financial resources are limited to the nicely placed ads just doesn't wash. Now boards.ie are not subject to irish freedom of information laws but I can guarantee you there is serious money being pumped in from other sources which won't be divulged! I'm no Jim Corr or Declan Ganley but you must be terribly naive to think an entity like boards.ie has no corporate backing.

True, the mods are here to police the fora here and do a great, if sometimes heavyhanded job, but don't be under any illusion, they have corporate guidelines to follow which must be adhered to.

'Why would Advertisers that pay to put ads on here care about what the Mods do?' you ask. Well, for starters if the mods gave bad press or allowed users to openly complain here about any of their advertisers or corporate backers or the list of websites at the bottom of this page, how much revenue would you think would be lost through pulled advertising / backing with the audience it has? Its not a parochial newsletter! Would you advertise the fictional Avalanche deoderant for example in a newspaper that slates you on a different page for the terrible conditions you enforce on the workers at the fictional Avalanche Deoderant Factory? Didn't think so. At the end of the day its about the bottom line. Fact.

Point taken on the spamming, different point but point taken, it is a valuable cause here to be applauded.

The op here presumably has a legit, as in non malicious from a viral viewpoint musician contact page on facebook and more power to him, presuming its a male, but he was just pointing out to musicians where other musicians can make contact too, other than this forum. However from the advertisers / backers point of view, its diverting internet traffic away from their 'nice' ads here to a different 'nasty' non boards.ie forum where they won't see their nice ads, so it shan't be allowed. Do you see what i'm getting at here? So while the mods here are doing this on their free time, don't be dillusional, there are strong commercial reasons for their actions.

Far from Bull mate.

Why aren't the mods responding to both of our questions above? Commercial sensitivity of course!! They are not going to diss their advertisers / corporate backers. Your little utopic world where the boards.ie financial resources are limited to the nicely placed ads just doesn't wash. Now boards.ie are not subject to irish freedom of information laws but I can guarantee you there is serious money being pumped in from other sources which won't be divulged! I'm no Jim Corr or Declan Ganley but you must be terribly naive to think an entity like boards.ie has no corporate backing.

True, the mods are here to police the fora here and do a great, if sometimes heavyhanded job, but don't be under any illusion, they have corporate guidelines to follow which must be adhered to.

'Why would Advertisers that pay to put ads on here care about what the Mods do?' you ask. Well, for starters if the mods gave bad press or allowed users to openly complain here about any of their advertisers or corporate backers or the list of websites at the bottom of this page, how much revenue would you think would be lost through pulled advertising / backing with the audience it has? Its not a parochial newsletter! Would you advertise the fictional Avalanche deoderant for example in a newspaper that slates you on a different page for the terrible conditions you enforce on the workers at the fictional Avalanche Deoderant Factory? Didn't think so. At the end of the day its about the bottom line. Fact.

Point taken on the spamming, different point but point taken, it is a valuable cause here to be applauded.

The op here presumably has a legit, as in non malicious from a viral viewpoint musician contact page on facebook and more power to him, presuming its a male, but he was just pointing out to musicians where other musicians can make contact too, other than this forum. However from the advertisers / backers point of view, its diverting internet traffic away from their 'nice' ads here to a different 'nasty' non boards.ie forum where they won't see their nice ads, so it shan't be allowed. Do you see what i'm getting at here? So while the mods here are doing this on their free time, don't be dillusional, there are strong commercial reasons for their actions.
    It looks like neither Shield nor Insect Overlord have been online in a few hours.

I don't know how detailed Annual Accounts are but for €2.50 you can buy Boards.ie Submissions on the CRO.ie website.

There's a whole Thread here dedicated to giving out about any Company you want.

You mentioned Irish Law, their's a limit to what people can say on here as it's Boards not the Individual that would most likely be sued. I believe it's different in other Countries?

I wouldn't be suprised if there was a dedicated Thread around here where the OP could have put up his Website or if their isin't it could be requested. If he had 25 posts he could have added it to his Signature and it would have been at the bottom of all his posts. (Saying that, I'm not sure of signature rules) This would keep the Site alot tidier.

There's a dedicated Forum for people who want their surveys answered, it's not that busy, not many want to spend their free time answering surveys. I assume this was set up in response to Users putting Surveys up all over the place?

If no Mod replies I may link to this Thread in Feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Jordo141

Would you think the same if every second post in the Forum was someone linking to their own Site?

You read it wrong, if you are a subscriber you won't see the ads.

Or alternatively Ad-Block Plus.

Jordo141 wrote: »
    Or alternatively Ad-Block Plus.
    I know I know, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssh.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm closing this thread as it has moved way beyond the original remit. If there are any specifc questions about the running of the site rather than this particular forum then try Feedback or Helpdesk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement