Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Friendliest Place in Cork to Live.

Options
  • 11-01-2012 4:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Everyone!
    Happy New Year :D,really hope it's a good one for all of u,or at least,not a bad one,coz I guess in these straitened economic times :( we have to be realistic...still,one of us could still end up winning the lotto,right?! I mean,who knows,it's good to stay positive...:)

I'm hoping somebody out there can help me...pleaseeeeeee!!! I'm planning to move soon (I should mention here that I'm renting not buying) to another area of Cork county,but I would so love to move to a lovely,friendly,community oriented area preferably :). I have kids so a place not too far from a primary and secondary school would be fantastic (my oldest child will be starting secondary school in 2013). My rental budget is €750 max. per month. Commuting isnt really a problem as I work from home,although I have to say,I wouldn't like to be more than 90 mins.from the city. That said,if it was a really lovely area,I wouldnt mind tooo much!!

Why is it soo hard these days to find a friendly area to live? I find it so sad that in general our society has changed to a much colder place than it used to be :(. I guess another way of putting it is that when I smile at a stranger in acknowledgement of their humanity, I would love for them to actually smile back,instead of glancing at me suspiciously for the split second it takes them to furiously move their head in the opposite direction and move-quick! quick!- swiftly away from the friendly face...I mean...what the hell is that about?!!!:eek:

I wanna live in a place where everybody knows my name.:D..well,at least a good few people...all right,a handful even.:o..!!! Pleasssseeeeee helppp meee you guys!!!!! I'll be sooo grateful forever,I really mean that coz this decision will change not only the course of my life, but also my kids...for ever.

Thank u,x!;)

(PS, Sorry about all the smilies...but I luv those guys,they're my new favourite thing...sorry...!!!!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Im sure there are plenty of places that fit the bill but one place to look at is Ardfield near Clonakilty, gf from the area and its a bit of a throw back in customs etc. Most households seem to have at least one person that does some sort of volunteer work whether its meals on wheels, coaching sports teams or tidy towns stuff. Parties always end with sing songs. They still do the mass in peoples house station thing, wakes etc, etc
    Also beautiful area with healthy mix of locals, retired blow ins, young surfery blow ins other blow ins and tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Coolchic

Tanx for taking the time to reply,really appreciate that. Clonakilty was an area that did enter my head. Will definitely check that out in more detail now-Tanx again!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭iuil1999

I used to visit Newmarket quite a lot when I was younger. I always found it a lovely, friendly town.
    There's separate national schools in the town and a choice of 3 secondary schools within 8 miles. Class numbers nice and small.
    Cork city is about 45 mins drive as is Killarney & Tralee and Mallow is only 20 mins from the town.
    I planned on moving there but didn't cause of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JCabot

I have found Cork in general to be a little clannish but many costal areas with mixed comunities different because of the blow ins.

Clonakilty would top the bill for me if looking to move somewhere friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 irishben

Move to Dublin, there's fewer Cork people here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rebelwoman

Clonakilty is a lovely town and always has something on there but the prices for houses can be very high. With any village/town it can be hard to get to know people. Having children makes it easier as you will meet people at the school gates etc but be prepared for it to be a slow process in getting smiles. I found the difference in people when I returned to West Cork very hard to get used to as I would have been the type of person to always smile and say hi to anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 32 randofmact

My gaff is pretty sweat girl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

Very biased but Ballygarvan is savage, the right time of the day you're into town in 20 mins. Kinsale 20 mins the other direction, brand new primary school, loads of buses going into town for secondary schools. Great community and club spirit.

Hi again everyone:),I'd just like to tell u all how much I appreciate the advice,I really do.Still looking, but as finances are low at the moment I don't have much choice! To the guy/gal who advised moving to Dublin....tanx for making me smile! I'll keep searching and keep smiling,though the stress gets to me at times. What I need now are some stress relieving advice tips! I mean,every day for years ur just mozeeing along trying to be a good citizen,trying to be the best person u can be, and everythings going grand. Then one day u wake up and BOOM-everything is changed suddenly. It starts to rain,to pour down and u think,oh well, the rain is bound to stop soon...but it doesn't.U wake up months later and it's still raining :(. Why is life like that :confused:? Sorry for depressing everybody,I'm in a funny mood...! Sometimes I wish I could move to Italy instead of another part of Cork! Oh well, I can't so I just hav to suffer on like everyone else in the same position!
    Tanx again guys;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JCabot

Coolchic wrote: »
    Hi again everyone:),I'd just like to tell u all how much I appreciate the advice,I really do.Still looking, but as finances are low at the moment I don't have much choice! To the guy/gal who advised moving to Dublin....tanx for making me smile! I'll keep searching and keep smiling,though the stress gets to me at times. What I need now are some stress relieving advice tips! I mean,every day for years ur just mozeeing along trying to be a good citizen,trying to be the best person u can be, and everythings going grand. Then one day u wake up and BOOM-everything is changed suddenly. It starts to rain,to pour down and u think,oh well, the rain is bound to stop soon...but it doesn't.U wake up months later and it's still raining :(. Why is life like that :confused:? Sorry for depressing everybody,I'm in a funny mood...! Sometimes I wish I could move to Italy instead of another part of Cork! Oh well, I can't so I just hav to suffer on like everyone else in the same position!
    Tanx again guys;)!

I think the general mood at the moment is one of doom and gloom and no wonder as we are being feed this constantly my the media. Is it we are waking up and realising what really matters in life and how economics and big business has really taken us for a ride. I think most people feel as you do I certaintly do at times and more so of late. I also believe we make our own reality and we can change anything we wish. Its also how we perceive our lives I always try to see it half full but occasionaly see it half empty. Best of luck with where ever you decide to move to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

iuil1999 wrote: »
    I used to visit Newmarket quite a lot when I was younger. I always found it a lovely, friendly town.
    There's separate national schools in the town and a choice of 3 secondary schools within 8 miles. Class numbers nice and small.
    Cork city is about 45 mins drive as is Killarney & Tralee and Mallow is only 20 mins from the town.
    I planned on moving there but didn't cause of work.

Ill go one better with Meelin. I have never came across a nicer bunch of people.

I feel that my last post here was like an eerie prediction...I think it was in February I mentioned I felt a bit down. Now I wish to god I could go back and shake myself then,and try to make myself realise just how lucky I was at that point. I won't be moving house in the forseeable future,guys.A few weeks ago I found my Mom ...she had already passed away. She was lying face down on her kitchen floor. I'm an only child and Mom was a single parent... the experience is both totally devastating and surreal at the same time. The world is as it always was...but not my world.My world will never be the same again. I realise now that with those who have lost a loved one,there is a before,and there is an after. And only those who've lived through that pain,will understand what I mean.
    Sorry again guys for being depressing. I would like to say though,to those of you who are lucky enough to still have your Mom/Dad still with you-appreciate them,give them a break,forgive them,treasure them with all your heart,tell them how very,very much you love them...for you'll never know the day or the hour when they might so cruelly be taken from you forever...and then it'll be too late. x

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭spacecat

Hey Coolchic,

Was just reading your posts, you did make me laugh. Until I read your last. I was hoping for a 'happy ever after' tale of you living in Cork somewhere with the kids, but no. I'm so so sorry for your loss. I hope that time has helped you heal a bit. And your right, you can divide your life into when a parent was alive to when they are gone.

Keep your chin up sweetheart. I wish you all the best.x

Advertisement