Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprint Tri - Beginners

Options
  • 08-01-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I am thinking of doing a triathlon this year. Can anyone recommend a good sprint Tri suitable for a beginner. id love to try one with a pool swim as i am not a strong swimmer but could try an open water swim. id like to do one in June/July or August
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

http://racing795.com/
    these guys have one in the summer, pool swim and very well organised, I've only ever done 2 and it's been this one the last 2 years and I'll probably do it again this year, you won't go wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

rebel123 wrote: »
    I am thinking of doing a triathlon this year. Can anyone recommend a good sprint Tri suitable for a beginner. id love to try one with a pool swim as i am not a strong swimmer but could try an open water swim. id like to do one in June/July or August
    Any suggestions?

Any chance you might tell us where you live? Since you didn't say I was assuming Dublin, but then the username suggests Cork...

Point is you should find a local one for convenience. However, pool tris are less common in Jun-August than before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Any suggestions?

most of the pool based swims are on earlier in year before sea heats up so don't think you will get a pool one that time of year.

the liam ball sprint in derry in may is a pool based swim and so is the one joey hannon sprint event in UL at the end of april which i think is full already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭griffin100

TriLaois - www.trilaois.ie
    North Tipp - http://www.nenaghtriathlon.com/North-Tipp-Sprint.html
    Tri 795 - www.racing795.com

all good races for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

promethius wrote: »
    most of the pool based swims are on earlier in year before sea heats up so don't think you will get a pool one that time of year.

the liam ball sprint in derry in may is a pool based swim and so is the one joey hannon sprint event in UL at the end of april which i think is full already

I don't think Joey Hannon opens for entries until Feb according to their site so this should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

3D's Fingal Sprint in Dublin is in Mid may which is possibly the last of the indoor ones this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 round wheels

Any suggestions?

TRI Athy . a Must do triathlon for a beginner , 400m down stream swim , i do it as my first , excellent tri www.triathy.ie

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Not quite a full sprint though is it? More a super sprint or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 round wheels

yes your right , its super sprint ,, 400 swim /15-16k bike/ 4k run ..

but great for beginners ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

My first one was Athlone last year. I didn’t think it was too tough in terms of the course and its brilliantly run and the support from the town is class, the streets are packed with spectators so if your struggling during the run you get a good lift. I'd strongly recommend it. They also have a slightly shorter version than the sprint available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Carrick on Suir tri is always a good one, sprint distance, downstream swim, nice bike course that is well marshaled but still areas where drafting gets ridicules and the 5k run is out the road and back by the river path, it is well organised, and unlike TriAthy the numbers are relatively small so not a daunting. I haven't done it for the past 2 years but the start time was late enough (9 or 10 am i think) to allow me to leave from Dublin early morning, do the race and get back home by mid afternoon.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Focus Ireland Triathlon in Dun Laoghaire end of July.
    http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=406

You have to raise a bit of sponsorship for Focus Ireland, 150 euros last year I think. Not sure how strick they are, but since its actually organised by the charity you can be sure that most of it going to them and it is a good cause.

Choice of Swim distances: 750 m or 350 m, you can change your mind at a late stage I think.

750 m isn't as easy as some of the down stream ones, but its inside the harbour so for a sea swim its fairly handy.

Cycle is fairly flat.

Run is really flat (on the pier) and last year was also short - c. 4 km

From a beginners point of view a good thing is that its fairly small, c. 200 people, the vast majority of whom aren't exactly elite triathletes.

So all in all its a relaxed event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Focus Ireland Triathlon in Dun Laoghaire end of July.

One great thing about the Focus Ireland tri is that the roads are closed for the cycle and I think it's 3 or 4 laps which is nice.

Advertisement