Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Kennel

Options
  • 15-12-2011 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

i am making a dog kennel for my leaving cert..

any one know much about Perservatives for the wood an everything..

help much appreciated.. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Probably the best thing to do is to use pressure treated timber.
    Some people though, would not be happy about having preservative on the interior. If this is the case with your project, then you will need to use a preservative. A visit to any builders suppliers or any DIY store will sort you out. There are loads of different brands 'Green-e' and 'Brown cdb' are very good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I would be really careful about what you use as many wood preservatives are toxic and you wouldn't want the dog chewing on it. You could use a hard wood treated with tung oil (to be reapplied) and/or beeswax.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Beeswax is a lovely finish for interior wood but it won't do at all for exterior wood and it would definitely make a dog chew the kennel.
    Tung oil won't last outdoors either.
    Exterior, non durable softwood has to be preserved.
    The alternatives are: use a durable timber such as Oak, Spanish Chestnut, Western Red Cedar, Iroko etc. - this could get expensive.
    Or use a non toxic preservative, if this is an issue.

Advertisement