Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick sewing question please!

Options
  • 06-12-2011 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Hello
    I’m hoping someone could help me with this sewing question please.

I need to attach this pink teddy bear ribbon / trim to curtains that I’m making.
    teddybears.JPG

I’m wondering how would I attach it?

Would I sew a circle on each teddy bear with machine or should I sew around rim by hand?
    If I sew along the bottom, the head of the bear won’t be attached.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Lj.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,139 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Without seeing the fabric and the teddies its a little bit hard to tell. However I think I would use an iron-on adhesive (not a web as you would have to cut it out, adhesive will just put adhesive on the teddies). Then iron it on to the curtain. There are some very strong adhesives that you do not sew through, or a lighter one that you would also stitch at vital points like the tops of the ears and paws. I think I would go with the second, but that would be up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

thanks for reply looksee, when you say iron on adhessive, would I get this in a sewing shop? can you recomend one please?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,139 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can't give you a name, but yes, you should get it in a sewing shop. It is like a film or dots of adhesive on a non-stick paper.

You cut a strip of adhesive and paper the width of the the teddies, put the teddies face down on the ironing board, put the paper adhesive side down on the teddies and iron on the paper. You can then peel off the paper, put the teddies adhesive side down on the curtains, cover with a piece of non-stick paper (the stuff you use for cooking) and iron.

You will get some adhesive transferring onto the ironing board (from the spaces round the teddies) so it is a good idea to cover the board with a sheet of non-stick paper.

It sounds complicated but it is not really!

Thanks very much looksee, that's a great help.
    That's what I'll do.
    Lj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

What about fabric glue? It would mean putting a dab of glue behind each teddy so could be time consuming but just another idea. You can get it in sewing or craft shops. I see you are in Wicklow ellejay, there should be a fabric shop in Bray, but I don't know Wicklow towns that well. Several in Dublin city like the Dublin Woollen Mills or Hickeys etc. You can Google it.

• Advertisement

thanks jellybaby 1
    I'll try that on a test peice, i don't want it to come through the material.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

did the facebook page suggestions not work?;)

I would have really thought the fabric glue would have been the way to go

Advertisement