Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential SHTF scenarios & tinfoil hat thread (Please read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

grapeape wrote: »
    I saw a doc on north korea, the people are terrified of the "great leader", its crazy! ****in nutter should be killed along with all his officers and other nutters who run the country

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

grapeape wrote: »

Haha. Bizarro. Even China wouldn't save them if they did.

I think it's gas. All this bluster and nothing to back it up. Just makes them look like eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I like that S.k responded with:

" do that and we're striking your leadership, not just your army.

You massive assholes.

Signed,
    South korea."

Give or take

Yeah, the problem is that the North know that under most circumstances, China will back them and the West will back South Korea. It could end in a gigantic cluster-f*ck with no clear winner and no easy way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Khannie wrote: »
    Yeah, the problem is that the North know that under most circumstances, China will back them and the West will back South Korea. It could end in a gigantic cluster-f*ck with no clear winner and no easy way out.
    Would china really back them if they started a war against the west? It would be world war 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

earth-to-kim-jong.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Deerhound

I think that even China is afraid of NK having nukes. How well would you sleep if those nutjobs had a weapon like that on your doorstep.
    If China wanted NK to have ICBM's they could have given them a couple anytime they wanted to, instead they are letting them flounder around trying to build their own.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's my understanding that China are particularly concerned about the millions of refugees that would end up on their border. NK has a population of around 24 million and the only other border (with SK) would likely be the scene of heavy fighting.

It's highly unlikely that NK can threaten the States in any way, but SK and Japan would certainly be in their cross-hairs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This is really bad news and surely from the horses mouth.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324582804578344203184816238.html

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    Would china really back them if they started a war against the west? It would be world war 3

They did the last time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Tabnabs wrote: »

I'm just wondering who will be able to afford that kind of price level?

I know in the west the general motorist can so long as government reduces the tax on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Tabnabs wrote: »

I thought shale gas/ shale oil was going to save us all ... For a short while at least ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

aaakev wrote: »

North Korea are pretty much all bark and no bite. Everyone is generally wise to this including the Chinese.

If North Korea were to in any way launch a pre-meditated attack against the South or anyone else for that matter the regime would be sealing it's fate - we can assume they are not feeling suicidal

The only real risk is the fact that one of their cross-border "incidents" which they use to raise tensions in order to get consessions (think of a spoilt child throwing a tantrum to get something from its parents) is the fact that one of those incidents coud escalate.

In such a situation, China will move in to keep the peace as they do not want several million refugees pouring over their border.

The Chinese account for over 70% of NK trade and fully control the gas in and out of the country, therefore can quite easily pacify any aggression.

Watched the first episode of this last night. Decent watch. Only one minor niggle which I will spoiler -
    he went with antibiotics (which he used). Think it would have made him work significantly harder to make fire (or not eat potentially dangerous food) in the initial few days if he hadn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

ShadowFox wrote: »

Dont know about boats but I'd say there were a lot of people stuck in gridlock who wished they had a bottle of water and a few cereal bars in a bag in the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

touts wrote: »
    Dont know about boats but I'd say there were a lot of people stuck in gridlock who wished they had a bottle of water and a few cereal bars in a bag in the boot.

and a pot to piss in!

Not a pleasant journey but so few plan for any deviation or event that could delay them.

touts wrote: »
    Fiskar wrote: »
    and a pot to piss in!

Not a pleasant journey but so few plan for any deviation or event that could delay them.
    Over 40,000 homes without electric up the north too due to 40cm of snow
    Irish rail have train delays all over some over 1 hour or bus transfers
    Bray Greystones seem to be getting really bad flooding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Experts on infectious diseases Thursday warned people to stay away from bats worldwide after the recent death of an eight-year-old boy bitten in Australia.

So no one be going biting heads off bats!

http://www.france24.com/en/20130321-experts-sound-global-alert-over-deadly-bat-virus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I linked that a few pages back, so far it has a 100% death rate with some people taking years to die, but from memory it's only 3 people in the last decade, but the real fear is if it mutates or other animals become carriers, that's when it will hit the fan as Fruit Bats are easily avoided in Oz.

I know everyone keeps saying he's crying wolf and doesn't have the capability of doing anything. But this story rumbles on...
    North Korea has put its missile units on standby to attack US military bases in South Korea and the Pacific.

The threat came after the US flew two nuclear-capable stealth bombers over the Korean peninsula in a rare show of force.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un signed off on the order at a meeting of top generals and "judged the time has come to settle accounts with the US imperialists in view of the prevailing situation", the official KCNA news agency said.

South Korea's Defence Ministry Spokesman Kim Min-seok also confirmed the meeting.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0329/378915-korea/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Just how nuts the north Koreans are will be exposed in the next few weeks , and wether the Chinese have got sick of them or not .... Can't see the Americans doing a pre-emptive strike but they've pretty much got to build up their military in the area which will freak out the n.Koreans...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Water is to be cut off in Dublin from 10pm till 9am from now until Tuesday
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/water-restrictions-in-place-across-dublin-589584.html
    The part i found a little worrying was Dublin City Council is stressing there is no problem with the quality of treated drinking water and anyone looking for advice on conservation should visit taptips.ie.
    When they stress there is nothing wrong its time to be careful

North Korea enters a "state of war" with the South.

Those crazy North Koreans. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21979127

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Khannie wrote: »
    North Korea enters a "state of war" with the South.

Those crazy North Koreans. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21979127

This is what they get for giving nukes to a kid whose only military experience is from playing World of Warcraft with his mates and ALWAYS winning by a world record margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

It's certainly getting 'toasty' now. The thing is, even if NK are trying to play chess with the U.S, this is a no win situation for them militarily and politically. Any semblance of hope that NK might, at some stage, display proof of rational thinking is gone. They could back down today but, unfortunately for the innocent children in NK, all their 'great leader' has done is invited an even tighter choke hold upon the country.

• Advertisement

What are the Chinese thinking though? Which side would they come down on? For my money, they're the most important player in this "game"

Advertisement