Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential SHTF scenarios & tinfoil hat thread (Please read post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I know a fella who got swine flu, he was in bed for 3 weeks! He was out of it, crazy stuff. Hope this doesnt end up breaking out like that did

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A fatal tale of drowning in Beijing has caused a surge in the sale of survival tools online, as many residents feared a repeat of the weekend’s downpour.

Ding Zhijian, a 34-year old magazine editor, became trapped in his car on Saturday during Beijing’s heavy storms, according to local media. The water pressure prevented Mr. Ding from opening his door and his vehicle windows refused to open, according to the account. He drowned before he was rescued.

Full article here http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2012/07/26/beijing-flood-fears-prompt-run-on-survival-tools/

and the product they're all buying up
    http://www.autogeek.net/rekeesto.html

And here's the video for using the headrest to break the window (there are conflicting opinions on if this works or not).

That will work, the weakest part of toughened glass is the edge of it and any sort of pressure will cause it to shatter like that. You would want to be very weak to not be able to do it with the steel tip off the umbrella tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

A tactical tomahawk would handy for situations like that.
    Even if the car crashed you could hack your way out or hack your way in depending on the situation.
    Also if a house fire and the widows were locked you'd break through easily enough or break through the plaster board walls or break though bedroom doors locked from the other side..

I wouldnt fancy explaining to a judge that i had a tactical tamahawk in my car when stopped by the guards "incase i drove into a flood and needed to break my window"! Haha

I had a folder knife that had a steel point on the handle and a hook for cutting the likes of a seatbelt that i usd to have on my sunvisor. It was nicked :(

• Advertisement

I cant see a problem with having one in a car,different if walking around in public with it hanging off your belt.
    As far as i see an axe is a tool,keep it in a tool box sheathed.
    If its a tool i dont think its classed as an offensive weapon?

Yup my survial knife has also a steel pommel for breaking glass.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

wolfeye wrote: »
    If its a tool i dont think its classed as an offensive weapon?

It is yeah. I saw some lad in the newspaper get a sentence recently because he couldn't adequately explain the hammer in his car boot. Was well known yada yada but still, the precedent is clear there. If you don't have a good reason for carrying it, don't (IMO).

I left my swiss at home on Saturday night when I went out for a few drinks for example. I had gotten used to always having it with me and as a parent / geek I think the "cybertool" swiss army knife could be reasonably explained (the scissors has been used so often on children's nails that the spring broke :D). Not so explainable in the boozer on a Saturday night mind you.

Well in a post shtf enviorment good tools save lives.
    In a disaster situation when trying to save ones life or others i dont think anyone is going to say hey you cant use that axe its an offensive weapon.

I'll have a Tuagh -cath in my mad max car!:P

Pre Shft well i guess thats a different story..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I have one of those Aldi multi-tools in my car (like a cheap leatherman). So far (in the last few months since I bought it) I have used it to cut the cable ties off a hubcap to fix a flat tire and unscrew the screws holding the headlight in place so I could change a blown bulb. Both of those are essential safety tasks and both needed the tool and any guard/judge will understand that. And to be honest having a reasonable tool like that in the glovebox is far better prepping than having a 15 inch machete in the boot. No point being able to fight your way through a hoard of zombies if you get creamed by a granny in a micra as you struggle to remove a hubcap or change light bulbs on the side of the road on a dark night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I have an L shaped wheel brace. I keep it in the side pocket of the drivers door, don't ask me why, it just ended up there one day and has stayed put since. Good job if a window needs breaking, and you've a good reason for having it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I know a fella who got swine flu, he was in bed for 3 weeks! He was out of it, crazy stuff. Hope this doesnt end up breaking out like that did
    Nah ebola really isn't that dangerous unless you catch it. The nightmare scenario is a disease of high communicability and a long gestation period, before it turns lethal. Ebola kills people too quickly and obviously to be a serious widespread threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Nah ebola really isn't that dangerous unless you catch it.
    +_2acc5a8841f8752904d37f90a8014829.png

:pac::pac::pac:

"Waves of violence" predicted in the US by mathematician in 2020:
    Sometimes, history really does seem to repeat itself. After the US Civil War, for example, a wave of urban violence fuelled by ethnic and class resentment swept across the country, peaking in about 1870. Internal strife spiked again in around 1920, when race riots, workers' strikes and a surge of anti-Communist feeling led many people to think that revolution was imminent. And in around 1970, unrest crested once more, with violent student demonstrations, political assassinations, riots and terrorism (see 'Cycles of violence').

To Peter Turchin, who studies population dynamics at the University of Connecticut in Storrs, the appearance of three peaks of political instability at roughly 50-year intervals is not a coincidence. For the past 15 years, Turchin has been taking the mathematical techniques that once allowed him to track predator–prey cycles in forest ecosystems, and applying them to human history. He has analysed historical records on economic activity, demographic trends and outbursts of violence in the United States, and has come to the conclusion that a new wave of internal strife is already on its way. The peak should occur in about 2020, he says, and will probably be at least as high as the one in around 1970. “I hope it won't be as bad as 1870,” he adds.
    Maybe its a case of everything looking like a nail when all you have is a hammer, but interesting nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Anyone in the Howth to Clontarf area of north Dublin are warned not to use tap water for drinking or cooking
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/more-than-1000-homes-affected-by-dublin-water-notice-561996.html

grapeape wrote: »
    Anyone in the Howth to Clontarf area of north Dublin are warned not to use tap water for drinking or cooking
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/more-than-1000-homes-affected-by-dublin-water-notice-561996.html

Some more Info
    http://www.clontarf.ie/news/urgent-major-water-supply-disruption-for-clontarf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Epidemic Hazard in Pakistan on Friday, 10 August, 2012 at 03:28
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_desc&edis_id=EH-20120810-36116-PAK

Epidemic Hazard in Hungary on Friday, 10 August, 2012 at 15:44
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_summary&edis_id=EH-20120810-36124-HUN

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

5.3 Mid Atlantic Earthquake
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/index.php?pageid=seism_index&rid=265142
    Map Area (you'll have to lower the view size to see the overall position):
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/index.php?pageid=seism_map&rid=265142

6.3 Iran Earthquake
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_summary&edis_id=EQ-20120811-36139-IRN
    Two strong earthquakes have struck north-western Iran, leaving at least 50 people dead and hundreds more injured, officials say. The quakes struck near the city of Tabriz and the town of Ahar, but most of the casualties are thought to be in outlying villages. Reports say phone lines to many villages have been cut off, making rescue efforts harder. The US Geological Service measured the quakes at magnitude 6.4 and 6.3. "The quake has created huge panic among the people," one resident of Tabriz told the BBC. "Everyone has rushed to the streets and the sirens of ambulances are everywhere."

Full RSOE EDIS Emergency & Diasaster can be viewed here:
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php#

Mods can we sticky this map. :)

• Advertisement

Balls, I was hoping to get some night fishing in the bay tonight, any word on what time it might hit? I've been flat out so far this summer so this was to be a little holiday when the phone isn't ringing.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Balls, I was hoping to get some night fishing in the bay tonight, any word on what time it might hit? I've been flat out so far this summer so this was to be a little holiday when the phone isn't ringing.

Looking at the forecast its to be raining on and off from 10 tonight and from 5am its non stop until Thursday

Ghb and rain gear comin to work with me tomorrow, camping stove and a bit of extra grub just incase the weather stops traffic which iv seen before when it hasnt been as bad as they sat tomorrow will be

High tide's at 4am, I was planning on heading out around 2-3am so I guess that's not going to happen, chop keeps them offshore. I was watching a heron guzzling sprats by the bucket in the rock pools only yesterday, it was looking like a good season. And sure enough, the ravens are gathered on every rooftop and tree branch within sight, a storm is indeed on its way. :(

Ghb and rain gear comin to work with me tomorrow, camping stove and a bit of extra grub just incase the weather stops traffic which iv seen before when it hasnt been as bad as they sat tomorrow will be
    See roads are closed in Waterford due to landslides and the rail got hit by lighting yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

grapeape wrote: »
    They should have checked to see if the birds were eating them, noobs.:pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Wellies went back in the car last weekend, First Aid Kit went back in this morning. I work 12KM from home but the last time we had bad flooding it took me over 2 hours to get home. At least I can walk home with rain jacket and wellies if I get stranded tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

Biological Hazard in United Kingdom on Friday, 17 August, 2012 at 13:58

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_desc&edis_id=BH-20120817-36219-GBR
    A drug user has died after being infected with anthrax, health experts said. The Health Protection Agency said that a person who injected drugs died in hospital in Blackpool. The name of the person or the hospital has not been disclosed. The HPA said the source of the infection is presumed to be contaminated heroin. The news comes after a spate of cases in Europe since early June. The HPA said it is 'unclear' whether the case in Blackpool and another case in Scotland - which was confirmed at the end of July - are linked to the European outbreak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Anybody got any fellow preppers within your locality who you discuss plans with? Or do you stay low profile so as not to draw attention to yourself in the event of an 'oh balls!" situation. I've 2 neighbours on board. One is a jack of all trades who can make/fix everything in the world (makes me sick the way he can turn his hand to anything) and the other is ex military. Once every few months we get together for a few pints and talk about how we'd try secure our road/homes/families etc and with the world getting madder and madder we'd love to try and see if anyone else in our little estate are game ball but to be honest we're afraid of outing ourselves and our reserves/plans.

Advertisement