Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bananaman's issues with the FCP petition

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

I wasn't having a go lad, all I'm saying is that recovering the same ground isn't going to take this thread on any farther, and that given the length of it, I wasn't expecting that you'd have spotted that it was mentioned already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Sparks wrote: »
    Says rather a lot really, that the "Stop SOPA Ireland" lads see 30,000 signatures in four days and manage to get a junior minister reeled in before he enacts secondary legislation in a fairly complex area of law as it applies to a very fluid social setting; but the 200,000 or so of our folks can't get more than 0.1% of ourselves to sign off on even having our legislation all written down in one place...

I think if all it said was "Sign if you support a rework of the firearms legislation" it may have done better.

But it didn't.

The issue, I assume, is that it asks people to agree to something in which they either have no opinion or in which they do not support and in doing so it prevents them from supporting something with which they agree.

At the same time - when this petition - which was calling for a halt to the ban - was doing the rounds it only made short of 500 online and a similar number of paper signatures in a month (a few since). But there were substantial resources allocated to convincing people to not stand up for themselves on that occasion e.g. anyone remember hearing this? "Keep your heads down lads. You'll be ok - it's only them he wants", worked out well huh!

My 2c.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Bananaman wrote: »
    anyone remember hearing this? "Keep your heads down lads. You'll be ok - it's only them he wants", worked out well huh!
    Yes, I remember hearing that.
    :rolleyes:

WTF??

i would have sworn I posted that in a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Sparks wrote: »
    Yes, I remember hearing that.
    :rolleyes:

Ouch!

• Advertisement

Glensman wrote: »
    Ouch!

In what sense?? I have read it a few times now and I cannot see what association he is drawing.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Bananaman wrote: »
    In what sense?? I have read it a few times now and I cannot see what association he is drawing.

B'Man

The way I read it is: you said: You'll be ok - it's only them he wants", worked out well huh!

and then Sparks linked to a post where you were saying (I'm going to parphrase) that everyone had their knickers in a twist about nothing and it was basically paranoia that the govn were trying to take your handguns away.

If that is the case then Touché Sparks. Touché.

Indeed - when no variation of the English language could lead to that meaning from those words.

But then people will infer what they want.

And if you read the rest of that thread, you would understand the context - but dont let aspects such as that distract you.

And, of course, lets not miss an opportunity to be led off down the Garden path and leave the topic, to which I posted, behind to bask in a lack of comment or critique.

Anyone have a dictionary handy? can you look up 'topic of discussion'?

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Think Bman,when you are in a very deep hole,maybe its time to quit digging???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement