Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

hardybuck wrote: »
    It is funny. I do remember a Declan Darcy who grew up in Sandymount, D4. Originally played for Clanna Gael, then transferred to his fathers club in Leitrim where he played illegaly for years as he had no residence there. His father would drive them up there for games as a lad.

He then transferred back home to Dublin after all the mileage took its toll and Leitrim had begun to fall apart.

Are we on about the same Declan Darcy? Does any of that ring a bell???

Do you remember Brian(iirc) Murphy who played in goal from Kerry against Westmeath in 2004?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Although Johnson is a great footballer, I cant see Mc Geeney going out of his way for him. He has been extremly loyal to the players at his disposal with very few culls and has a very close panel as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

paddy978 wrote: »
    Do you remember Brian(iirc) Murphy who played in goal from Kerry against Westmeath in 2004?

Fair play, you must have had a good think about that one. The same Brian Murphy who moved to Dublin in 1994 and played for Naomh Barrog for a number of years before playing two Championship games?

Again, he went through the proper channels, but what's the fascination with Dublin?

While you're at it, can you give me a rundown on the circumstances on the following players who transferred to Kildare?
    • Brian Lacey (Tipp)
    • Karl O'Dwyer (Kerry)
    • Gavin Ware (Carlow)
    • Gavin Keane (Waterford)
    • John Divilly (Galway)
    • Cathal Sheridan (Meath)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

qwerty93 wrote: »
    Although Johnson is a great footballer, I cant see Mc Geeney going out of his way for him.......

He has gone well out of his way, already!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Fair play, you must have had a good think about that one. The same Brian Murphy who moved to Dublin in 1994 and played for Naomh Barrog for a number of years before playing two Championship games?

Again, he went through the proper channels, but what's the fascination with Dublin?

While you're at it, can you give me a rundown on the circumstances on the following players who transferred to Kildare?
    • Brian Lacey (Tipp)
    • Karl O'Dwyer (Kerry)
    • Gavin Ware (Carlow)
    • John Divilly (Galway)

Don't know because I'm writing from a Kerry point of view not a Kildare one. I was just responding to claims that Dublin wouldn't take an outsider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

He's not living, working or playing club football in Kildare... why does he think he's entitled to play for Kildare?!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

• Brian Lacey (Tipp)
    • Karl O'Dwyer (Kerry)
    • Gavin Ware (Carlow)
    • John Divilly (Galway)

Whats your fascination with Kildare? Where are you from?

You seem to know it all about everything so perhaps you might answer your question above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

• Brian Lacey (Tipp)
    • Karl O'Dwyer (Kerry)
    • Gavin Ware (Carlow)
    • John Divilly (Galway)

Lacey was working in Dublin (I think) and living in Kildare Town.

Karl was a teacher and got a job working in a school in Rathangan. He was surplus to requirements in Kerry after being unfairly scapegoated for 1992.

Garvan Ware was living and working in Clane. Only turned out for Kildare in a few games and was nowhere near the level of the other midfielders like Buckley, Lynch, Earley & McCreery anyway.

Never heard of Gavin Keane tbh.

Divilly was living and working in Leixlip and wasn't wanted by Galway. He probably wasn't good enough for Kildare either as an ageing Glenn Ryan was still picked ahead of him when he was fit and he probably hindered Mick Foley's development too.

Cathal Sheridan was living in Kilcock and I think his decision to switch to Kildare was more to do with hurling then football.

Brian Murphy was living and working in Clane (also playing for the club) for years before Micko called him up. He had a very minimal involment for Cork (minors & juniors) years before he played for Kildare.

Of all the transfers you've listed only Lacey's bothered me. He was the one player out of all of those who would have been one of his native county's main players. However, the big three (Lacey, Murphy & O'Dwyer) were not fly-by-nighters. They all gave serious service to Kildare over a number of years. Brian Murphy is still deeply involved in Kildare GAA as the county minor manager, an u21 selector, and also managing several underage Clane teams. Karl will still be seen at plenty of Kildare matches and he managed Grange for a few years. Both him and lacey played for Round Towers for a number of years after they had left the inter-county scene. Lacey went back to play for Tipp after 2004 but he remained a Round Towers player and even played a trial match to try and get back on the Kildare panel in McGeeney's first year in charge. He managed Nurney in the Kildare junior championship last year.

Johnston is a different story and I would not like to see him skipping ahead of the likes of Fionn Dowling, Pádraig Fogarty and Seán Hurley who are the future of Kildare football. If he wants to commit fully to Kildare (join a club in the county and play his way into the panel) then fair enough. If he just expects to walk straight onto the Kildare panel while still playing his club football in Cavan then he can foget about it. Kildare are better off without him given the divisions this could cause within their panel.

BTW, it's the height of irony that Dublin lads are giving out about Kildare and outside players. They've a handful of hurlers who were reared well beyond the M50 and their footballers won numerous All-Irelands prior to the 1970s when their team was backboned by country fellas. Even the Kildare great Larry Stanley won an All-Ireland medal with Dublin in 1923 to go with the one he won with Kildare in 1919.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

largepants wrote: »

You seem to know it all about everything so perhaps you might answer your question above.

the thread is about a player who is trying to join Kildare. Why are you suprised past players who have done the same are brought up?

bruschi wrote: »

the thread is about a player who is trying to join Kildare. Why are you suprised past players who have done the same are brought up?

Is it the fact that it involves Kildare that has him so hot and bothered about this?

Look the facts are that the majority of counties have their outsiders but hardybuck is insistent that Kildares outsiders were all dodgy transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Is it the fact that it involves Kildare that has him so hot and bothered about this?

Look the facts are that the majority of counties have their outsiders but hardybuck is insistent that Kildares outsiders were all dodgy transfers.

I literally couldn't care less about Kildare. Get over yourself. I'm from a hurling area in Waterford. I am a GAA man though, and this episode bothers me, as did the Thomas Walsh episode in Wicklow.

Due to the huge volume of transfers Kildare had in a 20 year stretch, I purely wanted to see how genuine they were. It seems they were all far more straightforward than Johnston's efforts.

For the record, hurling is a different story. Despite Dublin now becoming rivals to us, nobody has any major issue with them accepting players who live and play there. It brought an extra team into what is generally a small number of elite counties, and encouraged many more kids to pick up a hurl in the capital. All the lads they accepted were discarded by their own counties for really not being good enough.

Contrast that to a guy who is possibly the top player in his county, falls out with a manager who'll be gone in a year, and is looking to move to a county which he neither lives, works or plays club football in. Exactly like the Thomas Walsh situation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Where did he say every transfer to Kildare was dodgy :confused:
    Sorry if you've made your position known on this, but as a Kildare fan, how would you feel if Johnston, who it's doubted whether he even lives in Kildare let alone plays for a local club, makes your team for the league and/or championship ahead of a native Kildare man?
    Let's make it clear, I don't think anyone is making their feelings known about this because it's Kildare. It's the fact that if it's allowed, it'll make a mockery of the GAA's rules. As I said before, if Johnston was transferring to Meath, I'd probably be even more vocally against it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I'd certainly disagree with that.

and the 2 lads have put across their points very well above.

this transfer is an absolute mockery. Cavan Gaels ahve also refused to represent Johnston at a DRA hearing, so it seems the whole thing is over until next year at least.

Personally, Ithink he'd be better off putting the head down and working as hard as he can to play well for the club and make sure he cannot be overlooked for the county. No player is bigger than their county, just ask Brian Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Where did he say every transfer to Kildare was dodgy :confused:
    Sorry if you've made your position known on this, but as a Kildare fan, how would you feel if Johnston, who it's doubted whether he even lives in Kildare let alone plays for a local club, makes your team for the league and/or championship ahead of a native Kildare man?
    Let's make it clear, I don't think is making their feelings known about this because it's Kildare. It's the fact that if it's allowed, it'll make a mockery of the GAA's rules. As I said before, if Johnston was transferring to Meath, I'd probably be even more vocally against it.

Also added to this, it wreaks of individual gain as opposed to an allegiance to Kildare.As a manager, I would be taking this into consideration with a cautious approach. If McGeeney feels he would benefit from having Johnston there thats fine but questions will be raised such as "Are there no better forwards in the county"?

My opinion on the matter is that if you don't play club football within the county or don't have any family connection, you have no business being there.

blackbelt wrote: »
    Also added to this, it wreaks of individual gain as opposed to an allegiance to Kildare.As a manager, I would be taking this into consideration with a cautious approach. If McGeeney feels he would benefit from having Johnston there thats fine but questions will be raised such as "Are there no better forwards in the county"?

My opinion on the matter is that if you don't play club football within the county or don't have any family connection, you have no business being there.
    There's another thing I can't really get my head around in relation to this whole saga. Everyone know's McGeeney is a manager who takes absolutely no bulls**t from anyone in his panel (him booting a player off the panel last year being good evidence). Yet it's well known that Johnston was a "problem player" (as Lemlin put it) in the Cavan squad. Surely the last player McGeeney (and surely Kildare fans) would want playing for their team is an outsider with a history of attitude problems which could potentially destabilise their squad.
    Agree completely with your post, especially the last sentence. I feel Kildare have plenty of options up front without having to resort to this dodgy transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

McGeeney doesn't care a whole lot about Kildare I'd say, at this stage he just wants some sort of silverware so his burgeoning reputation as a manager doesn't take a nosedive and will use any and all means available to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

There's another thing I can't really get my head around in relation to this whole saga. Everyone know's McGeeney is a manager who takes absolutely no bulls**t from anyone in his panel (him booting a player off the panel last year being good evidence). Yet it's well known that Johnston was a "problem player" (as Lemlin put it) in the Cavan squad. Surely the last player McGeeney (and surely Kildare fans) would want playing for their team is an outsider with a history of attitude problems which could potentially destabilise their squad.
    Agree completely with your post, especially the last sentence. I feel Kildare have plenty of options up front without having to resort to this dodgy transfer.

I don't know if Johnston was a "problem player" to be honest. He's deeply hurt by being dropped I've been told.

What I do know is that others dropped alongside Johnston were "problem" players so I'm drawing a conclusion from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭cunninstunt

He must have been doing something wrong to have been dropped so early in the season. I will admit that I have no knowledge of the cavan panel but an educated guess would state that his being dropped must be down to some behaviour last year. Perhaps at the time last year it would have been felt that dropping him would have destabilised the panel too much so the manager waited til end of year to get rid of him and others.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I don't know if Johnston was a "problem player" to be honest. He's deeply hurt by being dropped I've been told.

What I do know is that others dropped alongside Johnston were "problem" players so I'm drawing a conclusion from that.
    Fair enough. But it really doesn't say much about a player that he gets in a huff when he's dropped (which is part and parcel of sporting life) and tries to engineer a move to another county instead of working hard and making the manager realise he's made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭cunninstunt

To me the fact that he looked for a transfer instead of working hard shows that there was more to him being dropped than just poor performances or not being fit enough. If it was a lack of fitness then kildare would be the last place he would look to go. Kildare in my opinion were one of the fittest teams around last year. Also if the problem was a lack of fitness, this is something you would just work on yourself to get back in shape and convince the manager to bring you back in. I think he knows he is not going to get back in to the Cavan panel no matter what he does so has no choice but to look elsewhere.

• Advertisement

I couldn't careless if Johnston never played with Kildare. However I do have an issue with someone questioning the allegiance of the players that he mentioned in his post. However that questioned was answered and the poster in question is willing to accept that.

I know as well as most people that the Johnston saga doesn't sound like its straightforward or whatever word you want to use (to say the least). I'm sure if we put our minds to it that most counties have had outsiders playing with them.

BTW I can't understand why hurling would be so different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll

keane2097 wrote: »
    McGeeney doesn't care a whole lot about Kildare I'd say, at this stage he just wants some sort of silverware so his burgeoning reputation as a manager doesn't take a nosedive and will use any and all means available to him.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

RickRoll wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Cool story bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

BTW, it's the height of irony that Dublin lads are giving out about Kildare and outside players. They've a handful of hurlers who were reared well beyond the M50 and their footballers won numerous All-Irelands prior to the 1970s when their team was backboned by country fellas. Even the Kildare great Larry Stanley won an All-Ireland medal with Dublin in 1923 to go with the one he won with Kildare in 1919.

The Captain of the 1974 team was a Wicklow man!!!! :D

Seanie Johnston will be training with Kildare on Tuesday night. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

And good luck to him. He's been a great servant to Cavan football but the panel will hopefully move on better without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

An addition like Johnston could be the injection Kildare need to push for that elusive Sam .. I hope so anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dixon1983

Lemlin wrote: »

And good luck to him. He's been a great servant to Cavan football but the panel will hopefully move on better without him.
    He won't be training with Kildare Tuesday night

Dixon1983 wrote: »
    He won't be training with Kildare Tuesday night
    I can assure you he will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dixon1983

I can assure you he will.
    look i can assure you he wont train this Tuesday with Kildare . now if you know Seanie you will know that. So really you should get your facts right before you use boards to post what you THINK MIGHT happen.

Seanie has other things to occupy his mind other than football at this particular time . So get your facts right before you post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement