Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeper league

Options
1235727

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10


    So glad I accidentally benched Lincecum last night!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus


    8-10 wrote: »
    So glad I accidentally benched Lincecum last night!
    He needs to start using his slider again or he might fall behind Zito in the rotation :eek:

    I started JJ last night who did worse! My ERA and WHIP was already a lost cause this week thanks to Yu and a couple of blown saves so I was starting everyone until the end of the week anyway...


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby


    ERAs and WHIPs are all over the place.

    So many SPs and RPs are having nighmares, Darvish, JJ, Wainwirght, Hamels, Valverde, Axford, Santos, Mariano...I could go on!

    Real early season jitters.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭boccy23


    Its early. Really small sample size. It's funny in a H2H league as these weeks count as much as the middle or end of season ones.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus


    ERAs and WHIPs are all over the place.

    So many SPs and RPs are having nighmares, Darvish, JJ, Wainwirght, Hamels, Valverde, Axford, Santos, Mariano...I could go on!

    Real early season jitters.
    I'm beginning to wonder is his arm fixed, he was lit up for another 8 runs today.
    boccy23 wrote: »
    Its early. Really small sample size. It's funny in a H2H league as these weeks count as much as the middle or end of season ones.
    Yep, every category win is gonna count this year. League is going to be alot closer this year as everyone is active and all the rosters look strong :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10


    So here's the story, I hate Derek Jeter. With a passion. I'm a Red Sox fan so always have done. And as such, I always had him on my Do Not Draft list in every league I was in.

    However, this year, in this league, I took him. I'm not entirely sure why, I just needed someone in the position. It's partly because I finally reneged on my Fantasy Football committment this year to never have an ex-Feyenoord player in my team (big Ajax fan), and brough in Robin van Persie, he was too good to ignore this year.

    So I figured if I can make a Feyenoord exception, I can make a Jeter one.

    I regret it. I hate him. I hate him on my team sheet, I don't want him to get hits for me because I just can't bear to see him do it in real life.

    His stats this week:

    R - 3
    HR - 1
    RBI - 3
    SB - 0
    AVG - .444
    OBP - .474

    ...very solid numbers as you'd expect. I've already touted him around to a few managers here in a trade but no bites or even negotiation as yet.

    Will anybody give me a fair trade for Jeter? I need a SS that can replace his numbers, even 90% of them, and most importantly somebody who is not Derek Jeter. If it's someone on the same level as him or better, I'm willing to include someone like K-machine Lincecum as well for the better SS and a lesser SP...whatever something like that.

    Offers.... :confused:


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus


    8-10 wrote: »
    So here's the story, I hate Derek Jeter. With a passion. I'm a Red Sox fan so always have done. And as such, I always had him on my Do Not Draft list in every league I was in.

    However, this year, in this league, I took him. I'm not entirely sure why, I just needed someone in the position. It's partly because I finally reneged on my Fantasy Football committment this year to never have an ex-Feyenoord player in my team (big Ajax fan), and brough in Robin van Persie, he was too good to ignore this year.

    So I figured if I can make a Feyenoord exception, I can make a Jeter one.

    I regret it. I hate him. I hate him on my team sheet, I don't want him to get hits for me because I just can't bear to see him do it in real life.

    His stats this week:

    R - 3
    HR - 1
    RBI - 3
    SB - 0
    AVG - .444
    OBP - .474

    ...very solid numbers as you'd expect. I've already touted him around to a few managers here in a trade but no bites or even negotiation as yet.

    Will anybody give me a fair trade for Jeter? I need a SS that can replace his numbers, even 90% of them, and most importantly somebody who is not Derek Jeter. If it's someone on the same level as him or better, I'm willing to include someone like K-machine Lincecum as well for the better SS and a lesser SP...whatever something like that.

    Offers.... :confused:
    There can be no loyalities in fantasy sports. If you want to win you have to pick the best players. I'm a liverpool fan myself and I have no problem putting Man U players in my fantasy football teams if they are scoring well. I know about the Ajax-Feyenoord rivalary, a mate of mine is an Ajax season ticket holder. They dont even allow away fans at each other grounds as the match is such a big security risk...


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10


    Coeus wrote: »
    8-10 wrote: »
    So here's the story, I hate Derek Jeter. With a passion. I'm a Red Sox fan so always have done. And as such, I always had him on my Do Not Draft list in every league I was in.

    However, this year, in this league, I took him. I'm not entirely sure why, I just needed someone in the position. It's partly because I finally reneged on my Fantasy Football committment this year to never have an ex-Feyenoord player in my team (big Ajax fan), and brough in Robin van Persie, he was too good to ignore this year.

    So I figured if I can make a Feyenoord exception, I can make a Jeter one.

    I regret it. I hate him. I hate him on my team sheet, I don't want him to get hits for me because I just can't bear to see him do it in real life.

    His stats this week:

    R - 3
    HR - 1
    RBI - 3
    SB - 0
    AVG - .444
    OBP - .474

    ...very solid numbers as you'd expect. I've already touted him around to a few managers here in a trade but no bites or even negotiation as yet.

    Will anybody give me a fair trade for Jeter? I need a SS that can replace his numbers, even 90% of them, and most importantly somebody who is not Derek Jeter. If it's someone on the same level as him or better, I'm willing to include someone like K-machine Lincecum as well for the better SS and a lesser SP...whatever something like that.

    Offers.... :confused:
    There can be no loyalities in fantasy sports. If you want to win you have to pick the best players. I'm a liverpool fan myself and I have no problem putting Man U players in my fantasy football teams if they are scoring well. I know about the Ajax-Feyenoord rivalary, a mate of mine is an Ajax season ticket holder. They dont even allow away fans at each other grounds as the match is such a big security risk...

    I have no issue with the Yankees in general, just Jeter! It's my own fault for drafting as I did.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon


    Coeus wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder is his arm fixed, he was lit up for another 8 runs today.

    Yeah, Wainwright almost single-handedly destroyed my ERA yesterday, I had a healthy lead and now I'm hanging on for dear life. Think I might sit him until I see some improvement. Thought I was so smart for drafting him!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus


    fisgon wrote: »
    Yeah, Wainwright almost single-handedly destroyed my ERA yesterday, I had a healthy lead and now I'm hanging on for dear life. Think I might sit him until I see some improvement. Thought I was so smart for drafting him!
    Apparently he was unlucky on the grand slam as the wind carried the ball out. That said Wainwright has given me a chance at ERA and WHIP. The matchup is closer than the score suggests, all categories except steals, saves and holds are up for grabs over the weekend so plenty to play for...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭boccy23


    Going to be a long season. Lost 1-10-1 to Smackbunnybaby. And in that it was close alround. Ah well onto next weeek.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10


    Jeter's hitting .615 this week. .420 on the season with 4HR's, .422 OBP, hit in 15 consecutive games, ranked number 3 overall on the season of all players according to Yahoo and ESPN...is openly available for trade in a league in a rather shallow position for reasons I set out above, willing to listen to anything...

    ...and no offers, and no negotiations any time I offered him. Am I missing something?

    I guess I'm going to have to keep him! I'm actually going to have Derek Jeter on my team this year. :eek:


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus


    8-10 wrote: »
    Jeter's hitting .615 this week. .420 on the season with 4HR's, .422 OBP, hit in 15 consecutive games, ranked number 3 overall on the season of all players according to Yahoo and ESPN...is openly available for trade in a league in a rather shallow position for reasons I set out above, willing to listen to anything...

    ...and no offers, and no negotiations any time I offered him. Am I missing something?

    I guess I'm going to have to keep him! I'm actually going to have Derek Jeter on my team this year. :eek:
    Its crazy how he has started this season! At the start of last season he couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag...

    The problem about trading Jeter in a shallow position is that this is a keeper league and he is pushing on. People may want to hold onto their younger shortstops as they keepers and can bring them into future seasons...


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10


    Coeus wrote: »
    The problem about trading Jeter in a shallow position is that this is a keeper league and he is pushing on. People may want to hold onto their younger shortstops as they keepers and can bring them into future seasons...

    I understand this to an extent. However because it's shallow I figured most people wouldn't keep a SS.

    For instance, this year's draft only 4 out of the 10 teams kept SS's: Tulo, Reyes, Castro and Hanley.

    This makes complete sense, there's just not 10 SS's out their worth keeping. Next year I would expect the same 4 to be keepers, with a max of 2 other SS's. That means there should be at least 4 teams in the league (including me), but likely 5 or 6, that are not going to keep their SS next season and are just looking for Stats now. If he was an aging 1B I would understand more. However he's the top in his position right now so someone not planning on keeping a SS shouldn't care even if he retires in October.

    Anyway that was just my thinking.

    EDIT: just noticed you kept Asdrubal yourself, sorry, that makes it 5. If you've already marked a SS as a keeper I get it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus


    8-10 wrote: »
    I understand this to an extent. However because it's shallow I figured most people wouldn't keep a SS.

    For instance, this year's draft only 4 out of the 10 teams kept SS's: Tulo, Reyes, Castro and Hanley.

    This makes complete sense, there's just not 10 SS's out their worth keeping. Next year I would expect the same 4 to be keepers, with a max of 2 other SS's. That means there should be at least 4 teams in the league (including me), but likely 5 or 6, that are not going to keep their SS next season and are just looking for Stats now. If he was an aging 1B I would understand more. However he's the top in his position right now so someone not planning on keeping a SS shouldn't care even if he retires in October.

    Anyway that was just my thinking.

    EDIT: just noticed you kept Asdrubal yourself, sorry, that makes it 5. If you've already marked a SS as a keeper I get it.
    Yep, I kept Asdrubal. Given that I wasn't keeping any pitchers it was an easy decision given how shallow the position is. I'm hoping for a 20/20 season from him :)

    Jeter is signed on for next season aswell so he is deffo not retiring. The Yankees may even extend him at the end of the season if he keeps up his current production. He has looked after himself through his career so I can easily see him playing until he is 40. While he wont hit .400, I think he could get 200 hits this season. He has pretty much been on fire since he passed 3000 hits last summer. You are probably downgrading at SS unless you get one of the SS keepers...


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10


    Coeus wrote: »
    You are probably downgrading at SS unless you get one of the SS keepers...

    I fully understand that, which is why I'm suprised nobody took me up.

    Also, terrific call picking up Mike Trout. I had him on my radar from the start and would have picked him up by now had I not been using BN spots for Harper and Berkman. I actually had the pick up lined up about a week and a half ago but Berkman was already in the "probably going to DL" situation and I needed someone who could play from day 1.

    Pretty cool Harper and Trout getting called up at the same time, looking forward to seeing both!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus


    8-10 wrote: »
    Also, terrific call picking up Mike Trout. I had him on my radar from the start and would have picked him up by now had I not been using BN spots for Harper and Berkman. I actually had the pick up lined up about a week and a half ago but Berkman was already in the "probably going to DL" situation and I needed someone who could play from day 1.

    Pretty cool Harper and Trout getting called up at the same time, looking forward to seeing both!
    Yep, I'm all about picking up prospects and giving them a chance :) I'll be giving him his debut today. That he is batting leadoff, I'm hoping he runs alot as I need steals, its my worst category so far. Had Harper been available I would have picked him up aswell.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10


    So 3 of my first 7 picks (2 keepers and my first pick in this year's draft) have all been on the DL for over a week, with one of them out long long term. Can see myself beginning to slide...


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus


    8-10 wrote: »
    So 3 of my first 7 picks (2 keepers and my first pick in this year's draft) have all been on the DL for over a week, with one of them out long long term. Can see myself beginning to slide...
    Some more keepers (Longo and Panda) going on the DL this week, McCutchen and Braun removed from their latest games. Injuries are taking hold across the league.

    I see you streamed AJ last night :eek: I had him in the non-keeper league. I wasn't going to start him there but Minor and Kershaw had already blown my WHIP and ERA so I was in salvage Ws and Ks mode.

    Streaming pitchers can be a gamble sometimes. I have streamed 5 this week all of which were at home with favourable matchups and only got 1 win for a bloated ERA and WHIP.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10


    Coeus wrote: »
    Some more keepers (Longo and Panda) going on the DL this week, McCutchen and Braun removed from their latest games. Injuries are taking hold across the league.

    I see you streamed AJ last night :eek: I had him in the non-keeper league. I wasn't going to start him there but Minor and Kershaw had already blown my WHIP and ERA so I was in salvage Ws and Ks mode.

    Streaming pitchers can be a gamble sometimes. I have streamed 5 this week all of which were at home with favourable matchups and only got 1 win for a bloated ERA and WHIP.

    It's been a stupid week really. Was working late most nights this week and so accidentally had Verlander on the bench for his start. Doh!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus


    8-10 wrote: »
    It's been a stupid week really. Was working late most nights this week and so accidentally had Verlander on the bench for his start. Doh!
    Yea, I seen that Verlander start was in the stats. Dont think that start would have affected the final outcome of the pitching cats. Happy to get out with a draw considering I was 9-3 down going into the weekend :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon


    Just had a look a JPF's pitching staff, no wonder he's top - Verlander, Lee, Halladay, Lincecum, Strasburg! How did that happen?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby


    fisgon wrote: »
    Just had a look a JPF's pitching staff, no wonder he's top - Verlander, Lee, Halladay, Lincecum, Strasburg! How did that happen?

    Some very shrewd dealing last year!
    Would have been the complete opposite from me, who kept no pitchers (think Henry was the same)!


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10


    Some very shrewd dealing last year!
    Would have been the complete opposite from me, who kept no pitchers (think Henry was the same)!

    Yet in the JPF v Henry matchup last week Henry won 5 out of 6 piching categories and JPF won 5 of 6 batting categories in a 6-6 draw. Go figure.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus


    8-10 wrote: »
    Yet in the JPF v Henry matchup last week Henry won 5 out of 6 piching categories and JPF won 5 of 6 batting categories in a 6-6 draw. Go figure.
    On the pitching side of matchup even though we streamed alot of pitchers, my top 3 guys (Price, Yu and Gio) went 3-0 with 39 Ks, sub 2.00 ERA, sub 1.00 WHIP in 4 starts. Of your 3 keepers that played Stras and Doc had their worse starts of the season while Big Time Timmy Jim has not been the same player this season. That was probably the difference this time...


  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭bit of red72


    There's a load of streaming going on amongst the top teams this year. JPF, Homer and Mr. Henry are picking up pitchers most days. It's a trend that wasn't as clear last year so it's interesting to observe. I had a load of two start pitchers last week and pitched 80 inings. Homer still outpitched me by 20 innings and racked up 10 wins.

    0-5 for the year for me. A long summer beckons for those of us propping up the table. However I'm still currently still in the mix for a win against the Isotopes and it's Thursday evening. Hope springs eternal!!:)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby


    There's a load of streaming going on amongst the top teams this year. JPF, Homer and Mr. Henry are picking up pitchers most days. It's a trend that wasn't as clear last year so it's interesting to observe. I had a load of two start pitchers last week and pitched 80 inings. Homer still outpitched me by 20 innings and racked up 10 wins.

    0-5 for the year for me. A long summer beckons for those of us propping up the table. However I'm still currently still in the mix for a win against the Isotopes and it's Thursday evening. Hope springs eternal!!:)
    Yeah still loads to be decided in our game!
    What's the deal with innings this year?
    We have minimum of 24 a week, but do we have a some other limit on the season or what?
    Got burned by a games played rule in Fantasy Basketball so thought o better check it out!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus


    What's the deal with innings this year?
    We have minimum of 24 a week, but do we have a some other limit on the season or what?
    I dont see any maximum in the rules for week or season so its stream city if thats whats required. 1400 innings is the default max in the Yahoo rotisserie leagues.

    I'm gonna need great pitching again this week as Hammy is beating up on my batting lineup. That was a massive performance by him the other night and if he had hit the double a bit harder he may have become the first batter in history to hit 5 homers in a game..


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4


    Coeus wrote: »
    I dont see any maximum in the rules for week or season so its stream city if thats whats required. 1400 innings is the default max in the Yahoo rotisserie leagues.

    I'm gonna need great pitching again this week as Hammy is beating up on my batting lineup. That was a massive performance by him the other night and if he had hit the double a bit harder he may have become the first batter in history to hit 5 homers in a game..

    Yeah Hamilton has been great for me this year. Glad after I stuck with him through last year. Think my team is finally starting to turn around. I've finally ended my love affair with Chase Utley and I've accepted a trade that will help our my pitching :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon


    Interesting week this one, some great matchups. No blowouts at all, lot of 6-6, 7-5, 6-4 scorelines so far. Still all to play for in my matchup with Hotballs, over and back all week. Still seven or eight categories up for grabs.


Advertisement