Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Oul Christmas time.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Goodness, the child of my autumn years is 25, it must have been an early autumn :D (40)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thought I'd revive this thread with the season that's in it, etc., etc.

If there is anyone around please tell me what pressie I can buy for an 'oul fella. Last year himself and meself decided not to buy each other pressies, (1) because neither of us need anything (2) neither of us know what to buy the other (3) any gadget for himself will produce questions of 'such a model would have been a better choice' or 'where did you buy it' or 'it's cheaper on such a website' and the item gets put away and never reappears again. I kept to the deal, and he didn't, as he produced DVDs for me and he got zilch from me making me feel like a twat. Now I could be wrong but it looks like this might happen again but I have no idea what 'oul.......'oul.......geezers want (keep it clean if at all possible please).

GHow about a Dremel. Every man can find a use for one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

If he uses those multi blade contraptions (or hasn't a beard) how about this

http://www.shaving.ie/products/The-Basic-Essentials-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html

Thanks but he's got all that gunk already!
    Rubecula wrote: »
    GHow about a Dremel. Every man can find a use for one. :)

Thanks Rube. But he's not a DIY enthusiast at all at all!

Y'see my problem now?

Thanks Rube. But he's not a DIY enthusiast at all at all!

Y'see my problem now?

Well you could get him one and he may get interested, or like a kiddy ... play with the box :D

But what sort of things does he actually like? I am sure if we knew a little about his interests we could come up with something. For instance, does he like astronomy? Or science? or paleontology (you could buy him a fossil for example) I am sure that between us we can come up with something hon. If he likes dancing girls OldGoat could probably come up with an idea. ... Maybe even do a show for him :D:D Seriously we have enough agility in our old minds to come up with something between us I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Jellybaby, this might be a silly question, but does he have a mobile phone? Why not consider getting him a good case for it?

I got a gorgeous one for my OH off ebay, leather and all, didn't cost much either (we're on a tight budget this year!). If you want more info let me know and I'll pm you the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Airfix model and a set of modelers scalpels. No man can resist.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Gosh I really appreciate the effort you are putting into this for me. Himself is into music and he buys CD's galore. I would have to go through about a thousand CD and DVDs to make sure I don't buy something he already has. I just can't keep up with it. He is also a part-time Twitcher so I bought him a pair of binoculars some years ago, knowing they weren't going to be right, and sure enough he bought a better pair for himself.

Molly, your idea is of interest but although the childer want me to buy a mobile phone for him as he doesn't have one, he has always said he won't use one so I'm hovering on that one at the minute. Maybe it could be the gadget that might capture his interest though I very much doubt it as he has fought hard against it.

OG, I bought him an Airfix model many years ago. It never made it out of the box.

Tell me is a Wii any good? You need space to play those physical games yes? Another suggestion from one of the childer is a game for the Playstation called Buzz, anyone know anything about it? He's kinda into puzzle-y things and quiz-y things, but not jigsaw puzzles.

I don't think I will be allowing any dancing girls in the house this Christmas, 'cept me!!

I know I'm not just looking at a mere record player there. That looks really nice, and would be a contender but for the fact that we have a super duper outfit already. But you have got me thinking ...... hmmm.... mmmm. Can you still get a video recorder, one that would transfer all his old videos onto DVDs? I'm off to Mr. Google, but I don't really know what it's called. Mebbe it will turn up. If anyone knows, just ring my bell please!

• Advertisement

That looks real dandy Rube. Problem is, our Video player has died! Now I'm feeling Glumm! If I can get a hold of a player, the problem could be sorted. I'll ask around our friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

That looks real dandy Rube. Problem is, our Video player has died! Now I'm feeling Glumm! If I can get a hold of a player, the problem could be sorted. I'll ask around our friends.
    The VCR's are hard to get nowadays and there is a limited number of VCR to DVD converters on the market and what is there isn't exactly cheap. You could always ask one of the shops in the "talk to" forums - Currys/PC World or Richersounds.

You mentioned that he likes music so what about a gift voucher from one of the music stores? Just a thought. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Tell me is a Wii any good? You need space to play those physical games yes? Another suggestion from one of the childer is a game for the Playstation called Buzz, anyone know anything about it? He's kinda into puzzle-y things and quiz-y things, but not jigsaw puzzles.

Wii's are good as long as you use them! OH got one a couple of years back and I think we've only used it a handful of times. It sits under the telly and I can't tell you how many times I've threatened to throw it up on ebay but HE can't bear to part with it....keeps saying, "oi, I'll use that one day"!

However, I can highly recommend the ipod touch. If your OH is into puzzles and quizzes, there are loads of apps that would tickle his fancy. I'm always playing games on mine, or reading, or listening to music, etc., it's very versatile and I don't know what I"d do without it. Depending on your budget though, it might be a bit expensive :(

Are E- Readers any good? I know about the Kindle of course but what about the others?

Some christmas presents for our illustrious leader OldGoat :)

First a Burlesque Goat:

goat_1.jpg

and secondly a Young OldGoat in his disco days, from the oul family album hidden in Nurse's drawers:

http://cdn2.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2010/OXFAM%20Goat.jpg

Happy festivities folks ... Hope you all have a wonderful time, and thank you for a wonderful fun filled year on O&O. (((hugs)))

angry+goat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Awwww, I found some rare footage of OG as a baba :D

(you can decide which one he is ;))

OG Illustrious? Naw. More of a luminous hue I'd say! :)

While I'm on, I just want to wish everyone a Very Happy, Healthy and Blessed Christmas, and a Wonderful 2013, all year long!

Luv
    Jelly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ould christmas? My younger sister got a scooter for Christmas when she was about 5. She scooted round the table (in a very tiny living room), fell off, landed with her knee across the scooter and cut it quite badly. Very grumpy doctor had to be called out to stitch it, not at all impressed at having his Christmas morning disturbed!

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Ould christmas? My younger sister got a scooter for Christmas when she was about 5. She scooted round the table (in a very tiny living room), fell off, landed with her knee across the scooter and cut it quite badly. Very grumpy doctor had to be called out to stitch it, not at all impressed at having his Christmas morning disturbed!

They don't make doctors like they used to! Oh, sorry, they still do!

While I'm on, I just want to wish everyone a Very Happy, Healthy and Blessed Christmas, and a Wonderful 2013, all year long!

Luv
    Jelly

Thanks Jelly and the same to you and your dear ones XXX

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I suppose they think 'Christmas' would insult those who are not (Christian) believers. What a travesity! But having said that there are a lot of Irish/British etc., unbelievers who still are ok with 'Happy Christmas'. Hope we never have to drop that here. It would really make me angry.

I am a Hindu/Buddhist. I am very happy on Christmas because my Christian friends are happy. Its a joyous occasion. The smile and happiness on my Christian friends makes me celebrate the day with them. I don't like to differentiate myself from others due to my race or religion. We all believe in something so we are all believers! Have a grand Merry Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

Wishing you all a very happy and peaceful Christmas and all the very best for the year ahead. Probably won't be online for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I want to wish you all a very happy Christmas and a brilliant new year :)

I am a Hindu/Buddhist. I am very happy on Christmas because my Christian friends are happy. Its a joyous occasion. The smile and happiness on my Christian friends makes me celebrate the day with them. I don't like to differentiate myself from others due to my race or religion. We all believe in something so we are all believers! Have a grand Merry Christmas.

Well said horsemaster, and thank you. Don't forget to let me know when your biggest festival is and I will wish you a happy one too! Sorry I'm not well up in Hindu/Buddhist festivals. Now my Jewish friend really know how to do a festival, Hanukkah goes on for 8 days!! And one Christmas Day can wear me out, how'd I be after 8 days! Bless all! :)

Tsk! Even Mr Google said 'Happy Holidays' to me! So sad. So very, very sad! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Merry Christmas everyone

I miss the fusillade of cap guns from my childhood :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

Loath though I am to say it we are approaching that time of year again. The offer I posted in the firstpost still holds true. PM me if you fancy a glass of sherry. :)

(Mods, sorry about the bump of the zombie thread - Happy to have it closed and start a new one if ye think it appropriate)

• Advertisement

OG, you are the sweetest old goat I know! :)

Advertisement