Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Blessington - commuting to Dublin

Options
  • 17-11-2011 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hello,

I am looking into buying a house and saw one which appears quite nice in Blessington. I have heard horror stories about driving from Blessington into Dublin (all by people who coincidentally do not live there) and was wondering if it is true.

This time last year, when it was extremely icy, was the main road from Blessington to Dublin (via Tallaght) clear and easy to use. How long would it take on average, on a working day to commute from Blessington into the city centre (45 minutes or closer to 1 hour 30 minutes).

I see that Dublin bus 65 also uses this route. Could anyone tell me if this service is always functioning during winter. Many thanks in advance.
    Coburg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I do this every day and overall it is fine. I work in the City Centre and on average it takes around 70-75mins to drive. The longest and most difficult part of the journey in the morning is not the N81 part but from Templeogue Bridge inwards. This can take around 45 mins to do the last 3/4 miles. However in the summertime and when the schools are off, Blessington to Town is only around 40 minutes or so.

Last winter was exceptionally cold and Blessington had snow (and deep snow at that - up to the top of my wellingtons on the paths) for nearly all of December. However after the first couple of days, the main road was clear and was broadly kept clear. However you will notice that, even such a short distance outside of the City, weather plays a more significant effect on commuting life. A classic example was the recent flooding: it took me over three hours to get home but that was highly unusual. I expect snow every year living there for a few days at least every winter.

The 65 route is fine but takes a long time as it takes an extremely circuitous route through Tallaght. It's a great service to have however. Factor in 90 minutes in the morning . It is handy for a night out though in Dublin although the last one leaves relatively early at 22.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

What Tallpaul said, I live in Blessington and commute to Celbridge every day, it's a handy drive 45 mins and I'm there. Although last year I was snowed in for a few days. That's never happened before over the last 10 years I've been here

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

and in fairness, its worth it, moved up 5 years ago, great pubs, gorgeous scenery & a stones throw from dublin. move up, you wont regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

If you drive, buy a good set of snow tyres for when the white stuff arrives and you'll be grand.

Advertisement