Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

2456748

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee


    I still think he's a great business man. He did you a favour, when you've built up your own multi billion euro group then you can learn from his mistakes and not lose it all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter


    He showed initiative and did something that many of us would be too afraid to do. We need more people like him to get this country working again and we should never be proud that he failed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal


    Galtee wrote: »
    I still think he's a great business man. He did you a favour, when you've built up your own multi billion euro group then you can learn from his mistakes and not lose it all.


    What favour exactly? The insurance levy we all have to pay? The €2.8 billion he owes to Anglo? Or the insurance business which didn't have enough to cover itself financially?


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal


    edgecutter wrote: »
    He showed initiative and did something that many of us would be too afraid to do. We need more people like him to get this country working again and we should never be proud that he failed.


    I'm not proud he failed-I'm mad as hell that HIS failure is costing ME money in my insurance premia and losses in Anglo Irish Bank.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash


    Galtee wrote: »
    He did you a favour

    Yea, he made sure we all have to pay an extra % on top of our insurance premiums to cover his losses.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin


    syklops wrote: »
    We lost a lot of things during the boom, but its nice to see we didnt lose everything. Things like begrudgery and the delight we have at seeing people who tried, fail.

    Stay proud lazygal.

    Do you realise he is trying to get the taxpayer to pay E2.8bn of his gambling debt?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee


    lazygal wrote: »
    What favour exactly? The insurance levy we all have to pay? The €2.8 billion he owes to Anglo? Or the insurance business which didn't have enough to cover itself financially?

    It's easy criticise someone else from your when they fail, but at least he had built up a massive business from very little. It's better to have loved and lost and all that yadi ya ya.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin


    He was once Ireland's richest man, now his family members are! Declared bankrupt so now he has no debt. Well played sir, well played.

    anglo can go after his kids for 77m each and his wife for 102m due to personal guarantees according to the indo.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee


    smash wrote: »
    Yea, he made sure we all have to pay an extra % on top of our insurance premiums to cover his losses.

    And whats excuse are all the other insurance companies who have been raising their rates for the last 4 yrs using?


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭thebaz


    Sean Quinn is still viewed in certain quarters as an upstanding citizen - yet he possibly owes more to the state than any other individual through his Anglo gamble - and now when Anglo (us) try to claw back some of the money, we find it is hidden through a complicated maze of Eastern European , family member accounts - Will we see him crying on RTE evening news again, about how unfairly he is being treated -outstanding upstanding citizen indeed -


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser


    this is open to everyone here btw.
    There is nothing to stop anyone from ireland going to the UK and declaring bankrupt.

    all aboard!!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal


    Galtee wrote: »
    It's easy criticise someone else from your when they fail, but at least he had built up a massive business from very little. It's better to have loved and lost and all that yadi ya ya.


    WFT??? He is costing all of us money! ALL OF US ARE PAYING FOR HIS MEGLOMANIA AND LACK OF ANY SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee


    lazygal wrote: »
    WFT??? He is costing all of us money! ALL OF US ARE PAYING FOR HIS MEGLOMANIA AND LACK OF ANY SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY!

    How? His losses are personal losses not group losses. That's why he's declaring himself bankrupt.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash


    Galtee wrote: »
    And whats excuse are all the other insurance companies who have been raising their rates for the last 4 yrs using?
    I fail to see how that has anything to do with the fact that we're forking him out for billions. Other companies increase their rates to cover costs or losses but it only comes back on their customers and not a whole country. And for the record, my insurance premium went down this year, not up.
    Galtee wrote: »
    How? His losses are personal losses not group losses. That's why he's declaring himself bankrupt.
    Yes, he's declaring himself bankrupt. But we're still paying for his company because of his bad management and gambling.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal


    Galtee wrote: »
    How? His losses are personal losses not group losses. That's why he's declaring himself bankrupt.


    What about the insurance levy? Is that not a direct result of his actions?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee


    smash wrote: »
    I fail to see how that has anything to do with the fact that we're forking him out for billions. Other companies increase their rates to cover costs or losses but it only comes back on their customers and not a whole country. And for the record, my insurance premium went down this year, not up.

    I don't understand. explain it to me how Quinns dealings with Anglo are costing us other than increased premiums which as previously mentioned have been going up over the last 4 years anyway.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash


    Galtee wrote: »
    I don't understand. explain it to me how Quinns dealings with Anglo are costing us other than increased premiums which as previously mentioned have been going up over the last 4 years anyway.

    You kind of answered your own question. As I stated previously, my premium went down this year. But not by the full amount because a levy has been forced upon me to cover Quinn's mistakes. The levy will remain until the 2.8b is recovered.

    How can you possibly not understand that?


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick


    He needn't worry.
    The taxpayer will surely be forced to pay for his mistakes. No chance of those who screwed up paying for their own mess, eh?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Katekat


    I have worked in the insurance area for 11 years for number of international insurers but never Quinn Insurance. Each and everyone of these companies always questioned why Quinn Insurance was doing so well and how they became one of the largest motor insurers in Ireland in such a short period of time 1) yes lower premiums 2) their claims handlers, aggressive, bullying tactics (not their fault considering they were all commission like contracts and every time they had to reopen a file they were penalised in their own pocket) 3) their cover, tried to get out of paying their own policyholders with clauses of every kind. Insurers have stricter regulations than banks especially when it comes to premium capital held, so when it was discovered that Quinn was using Quinn insurance as his own personal bank the writing was on the wall.


    :mad: Now, in relation to comments like border counties Drumlins Have Eyes type characters, I have never come across the discrimination of northern people or border people as I have in my own country. I for one, along with many friends from home are sick and tired of the "nordie" insulting comments and its getting worse. I have received insulting comments in Dublin, waterford, cork etc, so its not just a regional issue. I have been to 9 different countries and have never been insulted like I have in my own country and its a disgrace...... rant over. :D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee


    smash wrote: »
    You kind of answered your own question. As I stated previously, my premium went down this year. But not by the full amount because a levy has been forced upon me to cover Quinn's mistakes. The levy will remain until the 2.8b is recovered.

    How can you possibly not understand that?

    Oh, So why have anglo taken a 49% stake in quinn group and why are they still pursuing him seperately for the 2.3 billion?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash


    It's pretty black and white.

    "A levy of up to 2 per cent on all non-life and health insurance polices is to be introduced to fund Quinn Insurance."
    - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0913/breaking29.html

    So everyone is paying for Quinn insurance because Sean Quinn took a gamble that didn't pay off. Lets forget the 2.8b or the personal debt or anything like that for a minute. He took a gamble with his business, it failed, we're all paying for it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 43,004 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989


    He is an enemy of the State


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭jmayo


    Lemlin wrote: »
    I must of missed where Seanie Fitz and Fingers Fingleton were entrepreneurs who started up their own companies' and actually created jobs.

    Ehh if you bothered doing a bit of reading or research you would see how seanie got a job in a small little bank in Dublin and grew it to be the third biggest in Ireland.
    Now in later years it was a fudge when they went balls out lending to developers and got involved in dodgy deals with the likes of quinn.
    But somewhere alone the way there he created jobs.
    You do know you don't have to just start your own company to be an entrepreneur you can take over a small operation and grow it. :rolleyes:

    Seen as you are form Cavan I can see your sycophancy for the quinns.
    Just enjoy watching them drive by or rather fly by whilst you watch the ars* fall out of all the local state services. :rolleyes:
    Galtee wrote: »
    I don't understand.

    Stating the obvious me thinks.
    Galtee wrote: »
    explain it to me how Quinns dealings with Anglo are costing us other than increased premiums which as previously mentioned have been going up over the last 4 years anyway.

    You have the internet it appears so why not do a bit of reading.
    It might expand that mind of yours.

    Ever premium has an added charge due to quinn.
    Can you get that little fact ?
    Galtee wrote: »
    Oh, So why have anglo taken a 49% stake in quinn group and why are they still pursuing him seperately for the 2.3 billion?

    Ah ffs.
    And I always wonder why I laugh when people claim we have a brilliant education system. :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin


    He needn't worry.
    The taxpayer will surely be forced to pay for his mistakes. No chance of those who screwed up paying for their own mess, eh?

    I agree he should pay for his own mess. This mess of trying to syphon off different properties is just further damaging his reputation and I think the man still suffers from the poor advisers that he did over recent years.

    However, let's remember that at its height the Quinn Group and Quinn Insurance had 5,000 people working in Ireland. Can you imagine how much tax those people were paying a month? That's 40 years of employees paying taxes to the government.

    He also employed people throughout the previous recession in the 80s and there are still people with jobs in the present recession.

    These people are paying tax. They are not claiming welfare. Because the man created jobs.

    As well as that, the Group themselves reckon the Group paid 1 billion in tax over those years. The figure wouldn't surprise me.

    So let's not say the man took everything and ran. He created jobs, kept people off welfare (and still does) paid taxes to the state and has left jobs behind.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee


    jmayo wrote: »
    Ehh if you bothered doing a bit of reading or research you would see how seanie got a job in a small little bank in Dublin and grew it to be the third biggest in Ireland.
    Now in later years it was a fudge when they went balls out lending to dodgy operaations such as Quinn group.
    But somewhere alone the way there he created jobs.
    You do know you don't have to just start your own company to be an entrepreneur you can take over a small operation and grow it. :rolleyes:

    Seen as you are form Cavan I can see your sycophancy for the quinns.
    Just enjoy watching them drive by or rather fly by whilst you watch the ars* fall out of all the local state services. :rolleyes:



    You have the internet it appears so why not do a bit of reading.
    It might expand that mind of yours.

    Ever premium has an added charge due to quinn.
    Can you get that little fact.



    Ah ffs.
    And I always wonder why I laugh when people claim we have a brilliant education system. :rolleyes:

    Maybe you could do with some of it if you have to wonder why you're laughing. :rolleyes:


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2


    To be quite Frank I hope Sean Quinn ***s in the next day or 2 of a horrible ***th. Yes that's right ***s

    If I was running this country the man would be in jail and his assets seized regardless if they are in his familes name.

    He gambled and lost 2.8billion euro, who has to pick up the tab, Me.
    What does he do, moves his assets into his familes name and declares bankruptcy in Norhern Ireland, clearly a man with a conscious for the Irish Tax Payer.

    He'll be back in business in a year.

    Whole fu**n country is upside down. I think that Anders Brevik had the correct idea, unfortunately he just had the wrong country.

    How entertaining it would be if I went home tonight, flicked on RTE News and saw that some maniac had walked into Leinster House / The Dáil and uzied all the politicians, at least that way we can start afresh.

    tbh I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet but hopefully it will.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick


    Lemlin wrote: »
    I agree he should pay for his own mess. This mess of trying to syphon off different properties is just further damaging his reputation and I think the man still suffers from the poor advisers that he did over recent years.

    However, let's remember that at its height the Quinn Group and Quinn Insurance had 5,000 people working in Ireland. Can you imagine how much tax those people were paying a month? That's 40 years of employees paying taxes to the government.

    He also employed people throughout the previous recession in the 80s and there are still people with jobs in the present recession.

    These people are paying tax. They are not claiming welfare. Because the man created jobs.

    As well as that, the Group themselves reckon the Group paid 1 billion in tax over those years. The figure wouldn't surprise me.

    So let's not say the man took everything and ran. He created jobs, kept people off welfare (and still does) paid taxes to the state and has left jobs behind.

    I wasn't implying anything of the sort, I am simply opposed to every single cent of taxpayer's money which goes to private financial institutions. It's their problem, not mine. Why the hell should I pay for their mistakes? It has absolutely nothing to do with me whatsoever, I never had any dealings with them nor did I ever intend to.

    Those involved can sort it out themselves - stop putting the entire country's population on the hook for the gambling idiocy of the few.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭monkeybutter


    jmayo wrote: »

    Ah ffs.
    And I always wonder why I laugh when people claim we have a brilliant education system. :rolleyes:

    Ha ha, you can't blame the education system for this guy, I mean it thought him to speak, that is a bloody miracle.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo


    syklops wrote: »
    We lost a lot of things during the boom, but its nice to see we didnt lose everything. Things like begrudgery and the delight we have at seeing people who tried, fail.

    Stay proud lazygal.

    "begrudgery", probably the most misused word in Ireland. If you don't like anyone with money for any reason you're a "begrudger".
    It's like calming that if you don't like Dr. Dre that you're racist.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth


    If you were in his situation you would do the exact thing. Why would he give it all back, this isnt a disney movie.


Advertisement