Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Later with Jools Holland thread

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Minjor wrote: »
    The Stylistics are playing Vicar St in November, another Philadelphia Soul group from the same era as the O'Jays.

Know them and many thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

My my, those moves on future islands front man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,113 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

scariest motivational speaker ever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

rodge68 wrote: »
    Jesus, Ellie Goulding's voice would go through you and the 2 songs were pure pop muck. Always thought she was crap (though she does do a good cover of the Midlake song Roscoe)
    P.S. Dont find her pretty at all either....

I think she is gorgeous and I actually listen to her first album on occasion to help me drift off to sleep, although that probably says more about her credentials as an ASMR expert than a recording artist…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Jamie T was decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This woman seemed to only get the one track on Jools last night but I found her incredible, she takes the chic cool of Peggy Lee's sixties sound (Is that all there is, Fever) and Nina Simone and brings it to another level entirely, her strength being that she sings in the lower register but it just seems so natural, will definitely check her out if she tours Ireland.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Very strange performance. Like a pissed uncle at a wedding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

This woman seemed to only get the one track on Jools last night but I found her incredible, she takes the chic cool of Peggy Lee's sixties sound (Is that all there is, Fever) and Nina Simone and brings it to another level entirely, her strength being that she sings in the lower register but it just seems so natural, will definitely check her out if she tours Ireland.

Thought she was easily the best thing on the show this week, great performance, listening to her album now, love it( great retro cover too)

The Manics first track was woeful I thought, I used to love them but Jesus....enough lads

Benjamin Booker was the only other artist I enjoyed tbh, Ill be keeping an eye out for any performances by De Biasio too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Lenny5 wrote: »
    Very strange performance. Like a pissed uncle at a wedding!

Aw, but he sang with heart. I like that tune, even though the arrangement was snatched directly from 1986. Nostalgia or no, I'm finding it difficult to respect bands that are regurgitating sounds from decades gone by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Only just saw the infamous Future Islands performance......Jesus:eek:, at least hes not afraid to give it loads no matter how daft he looks, great tune to be fair, better than the too cool for school approach anyday in my book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

She supported the eels in the Olympia back in July. She was great live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

What was the name of the female combo on recently, they sang part of their song in Spanish (I think) and it was just one on a piano and the other percussion? Was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

What was the name of the female combo on recently, they sang part of their song in Spanish (I think) and it was just one on a piano and the other percussion? Was very impressed.

Was it First Aid Kit? On about three weeks ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Ibeyi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibeyi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Awful awful awful show last night.....had to sit through 20 mins of crap till WOD came on....they did a great version of Red eyes ......Seriously , Bryan Ferry's voice went years ago....its a bad sign when the backing singers have to accompany the lead singer word for word...awful....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,181 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

how was paul Rogers?

how was paul Rogers?

No idea mate, not interested....FF button was used quite a lot.....:P

She supported the eels in the Olympia back in July. She was great live.

At the eels gigs watching her is the most bored I have ever been at 20 years of going to gigs.

It reminded me of Jazz club from the fast show.

lordgoat wrote: »
    At the eels gigs watching her is the most bored I have ever been at 20 years of going to gigs.

It reminded me of Jazz club from the fast show.

IMO i dont know why this thread is even in this section.....should be in the jazz/blues/country/hip hop sections....used to look forward to Later... but not so much now.....:rolleyes:

IMO i dont know why this thread is even in this section.....should be in the jazz/blues/country/hip hop sections....used to look forward to Later... but not so much now.....:rolleyes:

IMO i don't know why this forum even exists lump it all in with music and be done with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

lordgoat wrote: »
    IMO i don't know why this forum even exists lump it all in with music and be done with it!

Surely you could use your Mr Moderator powers and do just that. Put em to some good use for a change. :)

Back when jools was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Is this now just a thread for brilliant Jools Holland performances throughout history? If so, I approve! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Advertisement