Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Wicklow Restaurant?

Options
  • 10-10-2011 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I live in the Wicklow town area and I am looking to take my good wife out for a special meal. I know I could drive into Dublin for the occasion but would prefer to go somewhere within taxi distance (15 mile radius). Any recommendations for new or old restaurants in the area? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

sean_prawn wrote: »
    I live in the Wicklow town area and I am looking to take my good wife out for a special meal. I know I could drive into Dublin for the occasion but would prefer to go somewhere within taxi distance (15 mile radius). Any recommendations for new or old restaurants in the area? Thanks in advance.
    Went to bates in rathdrum,food was magic,not sure how far that is from wicklow though,if I were you I'd go to Dublin and make a night of it,got the mespil hotel recently for 80 euro and the Burlington for 90, both Sat nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If you don't mind driving a few miles , there's a nice little restaurant / bistro over in Enniskerry just on the high street slope , opposite the stone monument in the square and it serves a nice variety of home cooked foods .I can't remember the name but it has a red door and decor is similar colour inside ...shouldn't be to hard to find .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sean_prawn

Thanks for the suggestion. Bates looks to be everyone's recommendation. I've been there myself and it was good but not sure I would be rushing back.

I was hoping a couple of other gems had appeared in the past year but unfortunately not.

Looks like we'll be Dublin bound... Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 _SpaZ_

you could book a tapenyaki table at the place near meridian in greystones, they prepare the food in front of you, its pretty epic. Good choice of you like asian food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Surely there is no more over-rated restaurant in Wicklow than Bates?
    I was there in the spring.
    Its an old pig-parlour, cold and on a 15-degree slope inside.

I won't darken its door again.

OP, check the price for a cab out to Laragh.
    The Wicklow Heather is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Hungry Monk .... Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Gmol wrote: »
    Hungry Monk .... Greystones
    Gone pretty downhill after they decided to have the 'bistro' type menu upstairs aswell. It's a pity. Liked it a lot about 4 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

newbie2 wrote: »
    Gone pretty downhill after they decided to have the 'bistro' type menu upstairs aswell. It's a pity. Liked it a lot about 4 years ago...

That's a pity haven't been there for a good while myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

_SpaZ_ wrote: »
    you could book a tapenyaki table at the place near meridian in greystones, they prepare the food in front of you, its pretty epic. Good choice of you like asian food.

Whats the name of that place? Proper japanesse chefs cooking in front of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

the Park restaurant in Arklow is very nice and not too far from Wicklow town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I like Romany Stone, between Arklow and Wicklow. its only open Fri and Sat nights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Izzy j

Try the fern house in avoca at kilmacanoge

Advertisement