Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed for throat cancer sufferer

• 09-10-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

Hi, I know a lad who was recently cured from throat cancer and while he managed to stay off the smokes for a while he's slipping back on them.
    I'm vaping for the last while myself and after showing the ego-T to his son he wants to try this with him.
    I'm going to pick him up an ego-T but I want to choose strong cig flavoured liquids for it. I don't want him taking a few drags and thinking it won't do the job so I want to make sure that the liquid is giving him the hit he needs and is similar enough to cigs to keep him happy.

Im buying from thebestshop.eu, can anyone recommend liquids for a heavy smoker. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Tobacco Mint Premium 18mg packs a serious throat hit and a nice taste.
    It was just a bit too much for me vaping all the time, worth considering though for a definite ''this stuff works'' reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Jasus youd think TC would put you off ciggs for ever :O Shows how addictive nic is and how long the addiction lasts even after stopping.
    Turkish tobacco has a nice tobacco taste. Get a high nic one 18 or 24 mg, you can work down from their.
    I know hes smoking but be aware that the hit from vapor is very strong at first, not like a fag at all. Some willingness to change is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭colly10

tommy2bad wrote: »
    I know hes smoking but be aware that the hit from vapor is very strong at first, not like a fag at all. Some willingness to change is needed.

I'd be fairly sure he has the willingness to change, vaping will stop him from being pressured by the family as well so that will help. It's just that when your hooked and your around the house all day things like patches etc.. arn't really options, vaping should give him the hit he wants

HeHe and a new hobby, lots of shiny shiny to collect.
    Patches I tried, ended up wanting to roll em up and light em.
    Best of luck with it. Hope all goes well health wise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭colly10

Having serious problems getting the eGo-T XL with 900 battery and 5 click protection. It's sold out in the best shop and some others I tried.
    If your going for the best around what you you get? I'm looking for a tank rather than carts

Edit: Just went for the 650 battery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Ideally he should stay away from both tbh, though I'm by no means a medical expert qualified to comment!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9598-how-nicotine-helps-cancer-grow.html
    Nicotine influences a key cancer pathway in cells, which may explain how it speeds up cancer growth, says a new study. The researchers believe their results may help in the design of better anti-cancer drugs.

"We believe that these components can be targeted for cancer therapy," says Srikumar Chellappan of the University of South Florida, in Tampa, US, who led the study. "So we are quite excited about the new therapeutic avenues this study has revealed."

Rather than initiate cancer, nicotine seems to make existing cancers more aggressive, he says. Previous studies have found, for example, that breast cancer is more likely to spread to the lungs of patients who smoke than those who do not. And blocking the receptors for nicotine on the surface of aggressive cancer cells in a laboratory dish halts their growth (see Nicotine speeds the growth of lung cancers).

Cigarette smoking can nevertheless trigger the development of cancer, stresses Chellappan. By-products of nicotine and other compounds are to blame, though, rather than nicotine itself.

One pack a day

Although it was known that nicotine makes cancers more aggressive, relatively little is known about how it has this effect. To explore this question Chellappan and his colleagues looked at the specific molecules in cancer cells that interact with nicotine.

They exposed human lung cancer cells to an amount of nicotine equivalent to that present in the bloodstream of a person who smokes one pack of cigarettes a day. This stimulated the cells to replicate. A closer look revealed that nicotine caused a molecule called Raf-1 to bind to a key protein called Rb, which normally suppresses tumours.

This interference with the Rb protein's function could make the cancer spread faster, says Chellappan. Eight out of ten tumours examined by his group had abnormally high Raf-1 and Rb interactions, a finding that lends further support to this idea.

"One area of active research in our laboratory is to identify agents that can prevent the binding of Raf-1 and Rb," says Chellappan, adding that such drugs "could have potent anti-cancer activities".

Journal reference: Journal of Clinical Investigation (DOI: 10.1172/JCI28164)

Vaping is clearly the lesser of two evils, I'd advise him to start with the lowest (6mg) with a view to cut down to 0mg juice.

Vaping is clearly the lesser of two evils, I'd advise him to start with the lowest (6mg) with a view to cut down to 0mg juice.
    Wise words.
    I said start with a high nic, hope you didn't think I meant to stay on it. Better to get the habit satisfied first then cut back until all the nic is gone. Failing with ecigs may see a return to smoking which is not the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ktala

colly10 wrote: »
    Having serious problems getting the eGo-T XL with 900 battery and 5 click protection. It's sold out in the best shop and some others I tried.
    If your going for the best around what you you get? I'm looking for a tank rather than carts

Edit: Just went for the 650 battery

Got mine from here and very pleased with it.

Advertisement