Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Different Ye Olde Sweet Shops on Bray Main Street?

Options
  • 08-10-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭

Well one of them is up that alley beside Eddie Rockets but isnt this a bit odd? Is there that much of a market for them? Funnily enough Im from a the middle of nowhere in south Galway and one has randomly opened there aswell and 2 in Galway city. Also I had to check something on the cork City Board a week ago and I see a thread about new ones down there aswell, whats going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Seems to be a "recession" type business, although I too don't believe there can be room for 3 of them in Bray. I thought it most ironic that the most recent entrant was fitted out by a UK shopfitter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

There's a few popping up in Kildare too...saw some in Dublin the other day...just can't think where right now...might have been Ranelagh?..I imagine it's a weekend-only type business in Bray..

..3 does seem a tad over doing it...it's one thing to have a number of shops selling candy floss as one of many offerings but a dedicated sweet shop?...can't be much money for the 3 of them.

..I know of a petrol station in Kildare has a whole section devoted things like bon bons, apple drops etc complete with paper bags and weighing scales- I would think the dedicated sweet shops would have strong competition if every other store started that lark...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

The one in the arcade is opening another on the main street proper. That combined with the soon to open Mr Simms and the Mrs McGuires (a few doors down :D ) makes 4. There was going to be a fifth but I think the backers for that found out about the others in time before they signed a lease and have decided not to proceed.

Same thing going on in Kilkenny City :D

It boils down to this. Word has gotten around about high margins and low startup costs in this sector and every retailer with a spare pot of cash, unemployed worker with a redundancy package etc has tried to get in on the act at the same time thus ensuring that none of them will have a viable business.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Calibos wrote: »
    The one in the arcade is opening another on the main street proper. That combined with the soon to open Mr Simms and the Mrs McGuires (a few doors down :D ) makes 4. There was going to be a fifth called Aunty Nelly's but I think the backers for that found out about the others in time before they signed a lease and have decided not to proceed.
    Whaaaa? Pure madness, its almost Father Ted-ish.

Ive been buying all my sweets in Aldi and Lidl for years now, Ive saved a fortune, I assumed thats what most people would do when moneys tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I believe it's reckoned to come down to the nostalgia factor in poor economic times-hankering for the "good old days" type thing

• Advertisement

brayblue24 wrote: »
    I believe it's reckoned to come down to the nostalgia factor in poor economic times-hankering for the "good old days" type thing

Very true. In the retro forum the threads about the sweets we all ate in the 80's were always popular. There is also the 'treat' aspect. ie. We might not be able to afford to 'treat' ourselves to a weekend away with the kids but sure we'll all head down to the sweetshop and make ourselves up a big goodie bag for the weekend.

It's certainly a viable business idea but not when 4 or 5 places try it at the same time. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bearh72

Looks like one going into Greystones too where beside the book shop

bearh72 wrote: »
    Looks like one going into Greystones too where beside the book shop

Aunty Nellys. That was going to be the fifth in Bray I spoke about. Looks like they found a premises in Greystones instead.

Advertisement