Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JJ72

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Minnesota Fats

Temaz wrote: »
    No luck:mad:

Maybe send Mark a message on facebook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

No discussion of illegal downloading or where to illegally acquire music please.

Next mention gets a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

I was a fan of JJ72 back in the day, really liked their first album - I would have been 15-16 when it came out and it really reminds me of my later school years. The lads were past pupils of the school I went to so there was quite a buzz around the place when they came on the scene.

I remember the first time I heard them was a live radio performance on Phantom FM before they started to break through in the UK. I remember thinking that this was a band to keep an eye on - for those who don't remember, Phantom was a pirate station back then and used to promote Irish alternative music big time.

Saw them live a few times and was always impressed by their performance. The most memorable gig for me was the Manics Smithfield gig as both JJ72 and the Manics were on top form that night.

Thought it was a shame how things worked out for them - felt they had a few bad breaks and really deserved more.

Funnily enough, I just happened to be listening to some of their stuff online again recently and remembered just how good they were. I googled them this morning and found this thread!

A reunion gig would be amazing. Does anyone know how likely this would be in reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

It's hard to know. Probably depends on if Lakota retained the rights to the name etc or will kick up a fuss. Might be that there will be a gig advertised as Greaney and friends. Actually, that gives me the most epic idea...

IDEA:
    Venue: The Olympia (fondest memories of JJ72 for most Irish fans would probably be here, but that might not work, so i guess Vicar St or something)
    6:30pm - Doors
    7:00pm - Greaney Solo stuff acoustic set
    8:00pm - Concerto For Constantine
    9:30pm - JJ72

I defy anyone to say that would not be an amazing evening... :D
    ...although it might kill Mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

It's hard to know. Probably depends on if Lakota retained the rights to the name etc or will kick up a fuss. Might be that there will be a gig advertised as Greaney and friends. Actually, that gives me the most epic idea...

IDEA:
    Venue: The Olympia (fondest memories of JJ72 for most Irish fans would probably be here, but that might not work, so i guess Vicar St or something)
    6:30pm - Doors
    7:00pm - Greaney Solo stuff acoustic set
    8:00pm - Concerto For Constantine
    9:30pm - JJ72

I defy anyone to say that would not be an amazing evening... :D
    ...although it might kill Mark!

Definitly dont see this happening! AFAIK, he and the drummer fell out and dont talk anymore. As for Hillary she seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.Cant find any trace of her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

ronan45 wrote: »
    Definitly dont see this happening! AFAIK, he and the drummer fell out and dont talk anymore. As for Hillary she seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.Cant find any trace of her!

I saw her floating about Dublin about a year ago so face of the Earth is a bit dramatic:p She wasn't much cop as a bassist anyway to be fair.

What happened with Mark relaunching himself as a solo artist with a gig in Workmans? Heard good things but seems like he's done F all since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Concerto for Constantine I didnt really like I think Marks more suited to his JJ72 style music. He did a few solo gigs about Dublin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BpZsSZBeY8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPvqws5tpzA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYcjuFzb9pg

Mark is a tutor now in a music college in Brumswick street, He has a full time job
    http://www.bimm.co.uk/dublin/tutors/mark-greaney

Mark Greaney
    October 14, 2011
    Hey folks, sorry I've had no exciting gig news/recording news to update you with, but I've been so busy lately working with some extremely talented singers and musicians in a newly opened music college in Dublin called BIMM. Some true stars in the making in the college- the amount of honest, soulful talent is inspiring. I will be playing a few shows before the year is out though! Will keep you posted. MG x

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Found this on YouTube, great version of Long Way South from 2011. The top comment made me laugh -

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hilary Woods was on phantom FM doing an interview a few weeks ago. She's still in the music industry but more on the management/promotion side of things. Can't remember the exact details but think she is working with new bands and helping them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It really is such a shame that songs as good as this never got a proper release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Is it just me or did this come out of nowhere? http://www.state.ie/features/album-preview-the-river-cry

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭RodVelvet

It's certainly very different to the JJ72 output. I never imagined Hilary would have an album out before Mark. It was always suggested she was in JJ72 as eye candy. Maybe there was more to her than meets the eye all along.
    It's being fully streamed on bandcamp at the moment The River Cry BandCamp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Shutter Island

Mad to think its 12 years ago today I saw them support the Manics in Smithfield!

Where has the time gone? :(

Getting all sentimental here in bed

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

Picked up a copy of their first album recently, forgot how good they were or at least their debut was.

Bands spend their entire careers trying to right a song even remotely as good as Oxygen.

The JJ's did it when they were 17.

Shame how things turned out, but we'll always remember them fondly!

Advertisement