Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JJ72

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

not a fan, had to endure a set of theirs in Dublin castle years ago (they got boo'd off iirc) while waiting for Gomez and the Charlatans

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

notnumber wrote: »
    I imagine if they reformed now they would pack somewhere out and raise the roof.

They were one of the best live bands i've ever seen, even to this day. A reform/reunion gig would be pretty epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

They were one of the best live bands i've ever seen, even to this day. A reform/reunion gig would be pretty epic!

I hear Mark has a FB page..let the demands start there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

seachto7 wrote: »
    Whatever happened both hot bass players?

IIRC, Hilary became a mum and Sarah joined Lluther (http://www.lluther.com), though she doesn't appear to be with them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Saw them in Wittness festival years ago, they were ok I guess. Therapy? came afterwards and blew the place apart.

• Advertisement

notnumber wrote: »
    I hear Mark has a FB page..let the demands start there!

I have it on reasonable authority that he's fed up of people going up to him asking would he not get the band back together...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭Decade of Decadence

Thought i'd drag this one up from the archives rather than start a new thread...

Just been listening to a lot of JJ72 recently. They were emerging just when i was exploring music properly and I remember their gigs very fondly, was even at the (Witnness related, if i remember and invite-only) I To Sky preview gig.

Funniest thing i remember was waiting outside the Olympia for Muse/JJ72 and suddenly there was a big scramble over a short skinny guy walking around the corner. When it turned ou to be Matt Bellamy someone shouted "Ah no, it's grand, lads! It's only Muse!" and we all sat back down. My one regret is not skipping school with my friends to go to the Virgin Megastores gig in town.

But what i'll remember most is the music... The music and leaving my limited edition promo 7" of "She's Gone" on a table at their gig in The Village.

Anyone else got any good JJ72 stories?

Edit: thought i'd change my signature to the statement released on the break-up because it's a pretty good one!

Great post

Their I to Sky preview was in the old Redbox (more recently called Tripod), great great night, was 17, supping free Guinness all night, brilliant gig!

That Olympia gig with Muse/JJ72 is still probably the greatest gig I've ever been to, the entire audience had an inflamed sense of teenage angst, full of Manics and Placebo fanboys/girls, think the Manics 'Holy Bible' was played from start to finish before the gig. Really bad weather that weekend so the JJ72 gear never made it over so Mark had to borrow a guitar from Matt from Muse and played and impromtu acoustic set, with the crowd begging him to smash it ( he didnt, sadly)

Was at the Virgin Megastore gig, it was our first day back in school starting 5th year and me and my mate skipped class to go the album launch there (fell in love with a blonde sweetheart in the crowd who I never met again *sigh*)

Amazing, AMAZING times following JJ72, must have seen em over 20 times and followed them throughout the length and breath of Ireland.

Would love them to do a reunion gig for nostalgia, happiest time of my life back then and they soundtracked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was just listening to Snow tonight, lovely little band always liked them never understood their untimely demise. They'd a fine looking broad on base as well, Hilary Woods was her name if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hilary Woods and Sarah Fox were the two bass players. Both very easy on the eye.

Great post

Their I to Sky preview was in the old Redbox (more recently called Tripod), great great night, was 17, supping free Guinness all night, brilliant gig!

That Olympia gig with Muse/JJ72 is still probably the greatest gig I've ever been to, the entire audience had an inflamed sense of teenage angst, full of Manics and Placebo fanboys/girls, think the Manics 'Holy Bible' was played from start to finish before the gig. Really bad weather that weekend so the JJ72 gear never made it over so Mark had to borrow a guitar from Matt from Muse and played and impromtu acoustic set, with the crowd begging him to smash it ( he didnt, sadly)

Was at the Virgin Megastore gig, it was our first day back in school starting 5th year and me and my mate skipped class to go the album launch there (fell in love with a blonde sweetheart in the crowd who I never met again *sigh*)

Amazing, AMAZING times following JJ72, must have seen em over 20 times and followed them throughout the length and breath of Ireland.

Would love them to do a reunion gig for nostalgia, happiest time of my life back then and they soundtracked it!

I remember that well (Olympia acoustic set)! It was my first gig and i enjoyed every minute of it. Great times with great people (I'd have been one of the manics fanboys, so imagine my delight when JJ72 were announced to support them at Smithfield! That was my first Manics gig, sat around from about 8:30am queueing, saw Dave Fanning being chased into his car by irate Manics fans after his "Richey is dead" comment, then enjoyed an epic gig!)

• Advertisement

Great post

I remember that well (Olympia acoustic set)! It was my first gig and i enjoyed every minute of it. Great times with great people (I'd have been one of the manics fanboys, so imagine my delight when JJ72 were announced to support them at Smithfield! That was my first Manics gig, sat around from about 8:30am queueing, saw Dave Fanning being chased into his car by irate Manics fans after his "Richey is dead" comment, then enjoyed an epic gig!)

That Smithfield gig was mental, Manics were just back from playing to Castro in Cuba, tore Smithfield a new arse that night!

Wire in a nurses uniform and dedicating Yes to the nurse who took care of him when he smashed his back up in 91

Good times!

I remember this guy we met there from the Isle Of Man (if memory serves) who spent all his money on the gig and plane tickets and actually ended up walking to smithfield from Dublin airport. He had no idea where he was gonna sleep that night but it didn't matter because he was there. I think someone sorted him out with some food and a bed for the night. That was dedication!

Last time i saw the JJs was at the Electric Picnic just before they called time. It wasn't their best show, not helped by an indifferent crowd, but i enjoyed it.

I remember this guy we met there from the Isle Of Man (if memory serves) who spent all his money on the gig and plane tickets and actually ended up walking to smithfield from Dublin airport. He had no idea where he was gonna sleep that night but it didn't matter because he was there. I think someone sorted him out with some food and a bed for the night. That was dedication!

Last time i saw the JJs was at the Electric Picnic just before they called time. It wasn't their best show, not helped by an indifferent crowd, but i enjoyed it.

Nice story :)

To be honest, think the JJ's went downhill once Hilary left, just didn't have the same feel after her departure I'm afraid.

Still think we'll get a reunion in the not too distant future though :)

Still think we'll get a reunion in the not too distant future though :)

I hope you're right there!

Wasn't Mark engaged to Hilary's twin sister?

Remember she had a sister about 4 years younger who was a hot piece of ass

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Scruffy Sandra

Their first album was really good. But I listened to it too much and it's lost it's charm for me unfortunately.

I thought their best song was Formulae from the second album. A truly ridiculous song....crazy intonation, concept and lyrics and completely overblown.

Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I used to hate these guys when they were around but after reading this thread I decided to check out a few of their tunes to see if my opinion of them has changed. It hasn't.

I used to hate these guys when they were around but after reading this thread I decided to check out a few of their tunes to see if my opinion of them has changed. It hasn't.

Cheers for that

Wasn't Mark engaged to Hilary's twin sister?

Remember she had a sister about 4 years younger who was a hot piece of ass

Not sure about being engaged, but I remember Hilary's sister was a model and there was some considerable teenage hormonal excitement when we found out she was to be in the Sunday Times in something see-through!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Their two albums were excellent IMO. Damn side better then anything out today! But the third unreleased album wasn't as good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Cheers for that

It's a more valid contribution to a discussion on the band's music than debating whether one of the band members' sisters was "a hot piece of ass" or not. :rolleyes:

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Cheers for that

It's a more valid contribution to a discussion on the band's music than debating whether one of the band members' sisters was "a hot piece of ass" or not. :rolleyes:

I find it very valid and relevant, as does one user already (sparkthatbled), considering we're discussing our memories of following the band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Everyone's opinion is valid. Let's concentrate a bit more on the music though shall we?

Fair enough...

My favourite song in every show was always Bumble Bee, such a simple song but so powerful.

Fair enough...

My favourite song in every show was always Bumble Bee, such a simple song but so powerful.

They used to always close with it if I remember correctly?

Always loved a b-side of theirs called Desertion, Mark's falsetto was astonishing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

JJ72, epic band, I got nonstop slagging from my friends back in the day for being a fan of them (not that I gave a fu*k about that ha!), I barely listen to them anymore, but somehow Always and Forever has remained in my recently played list for that passed few years! Time to dig out the rest of their stuff, and yes, a reunion gig would be utterly amazing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Always loved a b-side of theirs called Desertion, Mark's falsetto was astonishing

A real hidden gem, superb song. I got it as part of a free Melody Maker CD back in 2000 and was blown away by the vocals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Anywhere I could track down the unreleased 3rd album??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Minnesota Fats

Temaz wrote: »
    Anywhere I could track down the unreleased 3rd album??

<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

<SNIP>

No luck:mad:

Advertisement