Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: TNG confirmed for Bluray

• 28-09-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭

2012 is going to be a big year. It has been confirmed that TNG will be coming to Bluray. The good news is that CBS is returning to the original negatives for remastering. Should make for a much better quality than the DVDs.

Source

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Interesting. I'll stick with the slimline DVDs myself. Seasons 3-7 have aged very well I think, except for season 5, when the cinematography went a little fuzzy for some reason.

The slimlines are down to just £10 on Amazon now. I must pick up seasons 1 and 2 soon...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Great news. Although I'd interested to know exactly how they are doing this. Going back to the original film elements seems like a lot of work. Particularly with the visual effects. But I guess they found a cost effective way of doing it. It'll be interesting to see this sample disc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Great news. Cannot wait to get this :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So there's 3 episodes being released, as a seperate edition? Seriously? :confused:

Assuming this is a very cheap promo, and they are going to release the series afterwards, and assuming they don't charge a ****ing fortune (which they will), i'll probably buy it. A lot of if's though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I'm not sure if I can handle the bodyhugging spandex uniforms of Seasons 1 and 2 in High-Def!

I don't like that the effects are being "recreated". TOS HD took some liberties and most but not all were effective.

George Lucas' obsession with updating old classics has clearly infected the minds of CBS, boo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The effects aren't being recreated, at least not according to CBS.
    Transferring STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION® to high-definition presented numerous challenges – The series was originally shot on film and then transferred to videotape, which was used to edit episodes together. In order to create true HD masters, CBS is going back to the original uncut film negative – all 25,000 plus film reels of it – and cutting the episodes together exactly the way they originally aired. The visual effects were all shot on film and will be painstakingly recompositioned, not upconverted from videotape. The newly cut film will then be transferred to true high-definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio. Denise and Mike Okuda are consulting on the project.
    Now my understanding is that this isn't entirely true. Most of the effects (models, matte paintings, etc) were shot on film and then composited on video, so they can indeed be re-composited for HD. But in later years many of the effects were shot on video or done digitally. These effects will have to be redone. How they are going to do this, I don't know.

I know it's odd but I kinda dig the blurriness of TNG, there's something comforting about it:)

I remember going to see Generations and thinking yowza, that's a heluva lot more detailed!

(Pretty sure the NTSC-to-PAL conversion of the shows had a blurring effect too)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The difference in the above photo is unbelievable! :eek:

I'm sure not every effect will not translate so well and may show up failings but that looks awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I wonder if theyre just releasing the three episodes as a feeler for whether or not they will make any money if they release the rest. No doubt whatever they do, the box sets will be ridiculously overpriced, as were the dvd box sets when they first came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'd love to rewatch Best of Both Worlds in bluray.

Aw why didn't I think of this before? Clearly it was 1.33:1 format. Now the TOS updates were reformatted to 1.78:1, with minimal cropping, as they used 35mm cameras, so there was extra imagery on each side to be exploited anyway. Overall a more expansive image.

But TNG used 16mm as far as I know...meaning much more limited information...so either widescreen and looking cropped, or square-screen with annoying black panels on each side. Either way, FAIL.

TNG was shot on 35mm as well.

I'll be surprised if they aren't doing a 16x9 version of the show (for future tv broadcasts), but I suspect the Blu-ray will use the original aspect ratio. Cropping causes too many problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Aw why didn't I think of this before? Clearly it was 1.33:1 format. Now the TOS updates were reformatted to 1.78:1, with minimal cropping, as they used 35mm cameras, so there was extra imagery on each side to be exploited anyway. Overall a more expansive image..

The TOS Bluray was 1.33:1.
    The remaster for TV was 1.78:1.

It will be the same for TNG I'd imagine. (Actually it's already been confirmed that the Bluray will be 1.33:1 and there'll be a 1.78:1 version for other media (I guess this means TV, Netflix, etc.)

New trailer, which includes a before and after of a re-composited visual effects shot. Looks very impressive.

And apparently they couldn't find all of the original film elements belonging to Sins of the Father. So there will about 13 seconds of upscaled SD video in that episode. Not a big deal, but I suspect that's not the only episode with missing or damaged film elements. It wouldn't surprise me if a few episodes end up being be SD only.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Footage looks good, but there's no way i'm buying 3 episodes. If/when they release the enter series, i'll consider it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kiith wrote: »
    Footage looks good, but there's no way i'm buying 3 episodes. If/when they release the enter series, i'll consider it though.

Agreed, entire series or nothing tbh.

It probably wasn't made clear in the first post, but the entire series is being released on Blu-ray. The first season is due in the latter half of next year. This sampler disc is just to give people a taste. Though I think it was mostly for the studio's benefit to establish whether it was practical and cost-effective to restore from the original negatives.

It probably wasn't made clear in the first post, but the entire series is being released on Blu-ray. The first season is due in the latter half of next year. This sampler disc is just to give people a taste. Though I think it was mostly for the studio's benefit to establish whether it was practical and cost-effective to restore from the original negatives.

Ah I see, that's better. The difference is unreal, those aired versions are horrific quality in the early seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Surprisingly impressive. I'm sold if the rest are like that.

Still cautious though, always remember the first rule of acquisition:

Once you have their money, you never give it back. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

Been waiting for a star trek series to be released on blu ray for ages, this is awesome! I wonder what the price lag will be though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭FGR

I know the purists will hate me for saying it but I wish they went and worked on getting it to a 16:9 ratio.

Ah well. :)

I know the purists will hate me for saying it but I wish they went and worked on getting it to a 16:9 ratio.

Ah well. :)

The Bluray is 4:3 for the purists.

The version being made for TV, iTunes etc will be 16:9.

(like was done with the TOS remaster a few years ago)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I wonder will DS9 be put onto Blu-Ray also? I guess they might wait and see how TNG does first.

G-Money wrote: »
    I wonder will DS9 be put onto Blu-Ray also? I guess they might wait and see how TNG does first.

It'll be another few years.

Did I read somewhere that the plan was to release 2 TNG seasons per year? Or was that just for 2012?

seanp_25 wrote: »
    It'll be another few years.

Did I read somewhere that the plan was to release 2 TNG seasons per year? Or was that just for 2012?

If so I'll not bother, 6 years or so until there's a complete collection? Sure QFHD will be on the horizon by then. It's a never ending cycle of upgrading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Two seasons per year is a long wait, although I imagine restoring from the negative is a time consuming and painstaking process.

EnterNow wrote: »
    If so I'll not bother, 6 years or so until there's a complete collection? Sure QFHD will be on the horizon by then. It's a never ending cycle of upgrading

Yeah EnterNow because TNG is 12 seasons long :o:o

I knew something didn't add up there :D 3 years is long, but doable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

G-Money wrote: »
    Two seasons per year is a long wait, although I imagine restoring from the negative is a time consuming and painstaking process.

Not too bad, 3 years and we'll have all the good seasons :D

Advertisement