Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance question.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Actually if my advice and the scs advice is sooo bad then why is one of the largest insurance companies in the world Royal Sun Alliance listing their (SCS) calculator on their home insurance website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

You are it seems choosing to ignore my points so please read again.

That guide is for stock standard,typical estate type houses.Thousands (probably well into tens of thousands in actuality) of home owners have homes they have built themselves to their own personal specs so the SCS guide is useless for that section of people.

That guide is for houses that are as they were when they were built as in no alterations such as improving fixtures and fittings like the kitchens or bathrooms,adding extensions or garages etc so for that section of people,the guide is pretty useless too.

You said,and I quote
    The fact is if the owner has followed the scs guidelines on rebuild costs and added a little extra then they are fine.

a statement that is horribly incorrect for many many home owners so my point stands,you dont know what you are talking about so people should ignore your advice.

It's a public forum so people can do what they want. The scs are guidelines and it's clear from their literature they are guidlines, and these "guidelines" seem good enough for the rsa to list the as a guide to how to value your property for home insurance rebuild costs.

People are of course welcome to post what ever they please however when they are posting stuff that is basically wrong then they should expect to get called on it and not get stroppy when they do.

Anyway,Ive made my point so will leave it at that.

For anyone interested the Irish Insurance Federation recommends looking at the scs site too for calculating home insurance. They've also some other tips here:
    http://www.iif.ie/Portals/1/Household%20FAQ.pdf
    and here:
    http://www.iif.ie/ConsumerInformation/GeneralNonLifeInsurance/Household/tabid/145/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

• Advertisement

Lol,you are like a dog with a bone aint ya.

I never said people shouldnt use the scs site,I merely stated the FACT that its only applicable for people with stock standard estate type houses without any alterations made to them.

Jesus just give it up.
    :rolleyes:

It's not always about you Otis. The post was about tips in general anyway I thought you said you'd leave it at that?? but...

177080.jpg

So you regularly read the insurance federations website ya?

And coincidentally you just happened across a few articles about the scs guide.

And decided to share with others.

Not to try and back up your misguided posts of course.

Not a bit,even though you tried to give credence to them already
    Actually if my advice and the scs advice is sooo bad then why is one of the largest insurance companies in the world Royal Sun Alliance listing their (SCS) calculator on their home insurance website?

Can you not just admit that your advice was wildly inappropriate/down right wrong for tens of thousands of homeowners?

You will feel better,I promise.

:pac:

Advertisement