Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Archer

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jessica Walter sounded different, I was wondering if she might have had a cold or something. Anywhoo, I thought the first episode was decent, no major guffaws but still enough chuckles to make things enjoyable. Seems like the episode existed purely as a framing device for the new parental arrangement in the ISI... whatever-this-group-is-called office.

Best newcomer character of 2015 has to be Milton ;)

And great to have the Pam / Sheryl combination back again; their office prank was genius :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This weeks was pretty funny in places, Krieger's tap-dancing bear a creature that will haunt my nightmares.

Off-topic, but related, Conan O'Brien guest-starred in a small skit especially made for his chat show. I found it pretty funny; Conan spars pretty well.

"Well you have to Conan, because I'm busy driving ... and also browsing Tinder".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Save the blarney for the colleens, Paddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Loved the new episode.

"Get down!"
    "YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR!"

The standard of animation has been really high the last few seasons, but this new run has been pretty spectacular in places: that avalanche looked pretty awesome. Funny enough episode too, nothing amazing but lots of good moments. I miss Pam/Cheryl's debauchery :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hasn't he made the Irish Axis comment before?

Best episode of the season imo; simple, funny and a classic 'bottle episode' story. What's more amazing is belatedly learning that none of the Archer voice-actors share the recording booth: they all record their lines separately so it's amazing how good their chemistry is when their pieces are merged up on-screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

pixelburp wrote: »
    Best episode of the season imo; simple, funny and a classic 'bottle episode' story. What's more amazing is belatedly learning that none of the Archer voice-actors share the recording booth: they all record their lines separately so it's amazing how good their chemistry is when their pieces are merged up on-screen.

+1 They did a brilliant job, it was the best bottle episode I've seen since Community's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Wandered aimlessly into this thread, having never heard of Archer. Was prompted to check out some clips on youtube. Looks freaking hilarious :D

trashcan wrote: »
    Wandered aimlessly into this thread, having never heard of Archer. Was prompted to check out some clips on youtube. Looks freaking hilarious :D

Go and start with episode 1 season 1. It's genius. First five seasons are on Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Funniest Archer in a while. Helped a lot by having Keith David play Lana's dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sorry I tried to spit roast your Mom, best line in ages. :D

This weeks episode reminded me how much I missed the Archer cast just hanging out with each other in non-spy based scenarios: I wanted to spend more time with Pam, Krieger et al during their failed bowling night than the 'main' plotline of Archer and Lana meeting her parents.

Also, does this week confirm that it is indeed 'our' Krieger? He's still driving his serial killer van & dating his virtual animé girlfriend :D

Sorry I tried to spit roast your mom.

I swear to god I nearly choked from laughing at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭melbite

just love this show!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Roar wrote: »
    Go and start with episode 1 season 1. It's genius. First five seasons are on Netflix.

Done:D Just re-started Netflix on second free trial after giving it up previously. Have watched first 3 episodes so far, Funny ****:D

So the Archer Comic Con video was awesome

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/10/archer-comic-con-video
    That's how you get ants.... man

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The man who voiced Woodhouse (George Coe) died :(

Angron wrote: »
    The man who voiced Woodhouse (George Coe) died :(

The episode with his backstory is one of my favourites

tumblr_lv865dMvdK1r4lquro1_400.png

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Back again with another reboot. A so-so opening episode with a couple of funny gags.

• Advertisement

Third reboot in a row really, but honestly the episode felt very flat and lacking any kind of spark (only time I laughed was the very last -cheesy!- line from Pam and her flyer for the agency). In fact, the patter between the characters was particularly weak: what was once hilarious bickering has devolved into just plain irritating bickering. Perhaps it's time to put this show to pasture, but I'm guessing it's too successful for FX to allow that to happen.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Third reboot in a row really, but honestly the episode felt very flat and lacking any kind of spark (only time I laughed was the very last -cheesy!- line from Pam and her flyer for the agency). In fact, the patter between the characters was particularly weak: what was once hilarious bickering has devolved into just plain irritating bickering. Perhaps it's time to put this show to pasture, but I'm guessing it's too successful for FX to allow that to happen.

Hopefully it picks up this week but I have a feeling we've seen the best this one had a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

The last episode Deadly Prep was pretty good.
    Was a good step up from the first two episodes.

The episode with Archer's old school-mates was a good 'un definitely, but it has been surrounded by very flat, tepid material; this week's being no exception. The writing feels like they're ... I dunno, coasting or something. Throw in 'phrasing' callbacks, let everyone screech at each other for a bit, then call it a day. Think I might see this season out and leave it at that: 4 brilliant seasons, and a few of similar quality after that isn't a bad innings for any show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Started binge watching Archer on Netflix about a month ago. Loved seasons 1-4. Brilliant characters, brilliant script. Holy sh*t snacks has become my favourite swear. :D
    Though I did find the end of season 4 and the end of the.. organisation to be a bit of an anti-climax ending.

Have the last of Archer Vice on now. What a disappointment really.
    Pam's cocaine addiction and neurotic Cherlene stopped being funny very quickly.

Will probably start with season 6 later on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Episode 7:
    Karate Krieger
    :D:D:D:D

Some funny moments, but too few and far between this season. Glad it's over.

Any word on if it's been picked up for another year? After that I really don't care.

Apparently the ratings have been on a consistent downward slope for the last few years, with this season hitting a new low. Quality wise, I think the same is true & bar a few chuckles here and there the show just isn't all that funny anymore; in fact in places Season 7 has been out & out irritating to watch.

Supposedly Adam Reed & co. have been contemplating making a film adaptation, and have even spoke of a live-action version too. Guess it depends on what they all want to do when the show gets canned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I think they learnt painfully they couldnt translate the dynamic of the first 4 seasons as spies into other dynamics when we had the mixed archer vice season and then six was a poor attempt to go back, 7 did feel like a shot in the wind to see if anything would work in some ways.

It also felt in some ways that season 4 was heading towards the end as they had the whole nod to sealab as the finale, it was almost full circle.

like how justice league unlimited had an episode dedicated to batman as its finale (as that whole universe started with batman the animated series) but then it got another season and the show felt a bit lost for that season.

odd comparison but I stand by it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So...
    Archer is dead???

Advertisement