Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phoenix Park to be closed for three months to through traffic!

Options
  • 20-09-2011 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Just quoted on the 9 pm news. To facilitate repairs to the road along Chesterfield avenue, through traffic will cease for 3 months from monday week. A one way system will operate around the park.
    Dublin City FMs - Traffic radio recommended people to avoid the park during the road works.

Hope while they are at it that they reduce those horrendous roundabouts in size.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I posted this a few months ago, the link does not work any more but I quoted a line from it.

While on the subject the Phoenix Park, heres something interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Pete,

A Segway lane! Madness, Need to be able to get my bike past all the bikes and cars and get in and out of the park quickly.

OPW madness, money to burn.

Thanks for the link Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

A few links,

http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,17063,en.html

www.rte.ie/news/2011/0920/phoenixpark.html
    www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0921/1224304483361.html

Badly needed, upgrade means the road should be good for about 20 years according to news report last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

how many times is that over the past few years that they closed off various parks of the park?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's a crying shame that 20,000 vehicles a day have to use the park - they shouldn't be allowed. It's meant to be a park, not a huge big thoroughfare.

I'm all for D3 all the way to every city in Ireland, but not through parks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

antoobrien wrote: »
    how many times is that over the past few years that they closed off various parks of the park?

Most of the time it has been for sporting events and ad hoc works. Blackhorse Avenue was closed but that was outside the park.

This is a complete rebuild of the main road which is totally needed - putting in proper foundations to cope with traffic it was never designed for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Anybody know what the road design is like? Are there plans to put in traffic calming features?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

BrianD wrote: »
    Anybody know what the road design is like? Are there plans to put in traffic calming features?

Like what? Ramps?
    Hopefully not.

I use the park via Knockmaroon Gate and Ashtown Gate every day. I'll be interested to see if that particular route will stay open or whether I'll have to take a big long circuit around the park to do that 1 mile stretch for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Heroditas wrote: »
    I use the park via Knockmaroon Gate and Ashtown Gate every day. I'll be interested to see if that particular route will stay open or whether I'll have to take a big long circuit around the park to do that 1 mile stretch for the next few weeks.

Afraid you're going to have to take a long circuit (in one direction) unfortunately.

Map of diversions is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

antoobrien wrote: »

Shocking that the OPW should see it fit to close the park off to traffic like that in favour of park-related uses and events.

...some people should get out their car more often.

• Advertisement
Advertisement