Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlisle grounds - Bray

Options
  • 14-09-2011 1:59pm

Hi all,

I just came across this:
    Early in 2001, Bray Urban District Council granted a 35-year lease in the Grounds to Bray Wanderers A.F.C., conditional on the use of the grounds being restricted to sporting activities.

Does anyone know why Bray UDC would impose such a restriction? It would mean no gigs (not that there has been any) or other types of fundraising could go on that wasn't a "sporting activity"

It just seems quite shortsighted to me. I presume it's so they don't turn it into a car park or something equally ludicrous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I often wonder how many in Bray know that the Carlisle Grounds are named after the 5th Earl of Carlisle who was Viceroy of Ireland in the 1780s?

363px-Reynolds123.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Howard,_5th_Earl_of_Carlisle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭eigrod

Hi all,

I just came across this:

Does anyone know why Bray UDC would impose such a restriction? It would mean no gigs (not that there has been any) or other types of fundraising could go on that wasn't a "sporting activity"

It just seems quite shortsighted to me. I presume it's so they don't turn it into a car park or something equally ludicrous.

Perhaps to protect the local residents from loud concerts etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hi all,

I just came across this:

There used to be bingo sessions there in a huge marquee run by Bray Wanderers Committee for fundraising in the off season. Actually part of Carlisle Grounds are now used as a car park
    With a daily/weekly charge.

So they're breaking their own lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭Macy0161

So they're breaking their own lease?
    As far back as I can remember, that bit was always a car park on match days, so the only thing they're doing is opening it during the day too. I wouldn't imagine they're breaking their lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

Macy0161 wrote: »
    As far back as I can remember, that bit was always a car park on match days, so the only thing they're doing is opening it during the day too. I wouldn't imagine they're breaking their lease.

Nope they definately arent breaking the Lease. In fairness the Club works pretty closely with the council (sometimes to their own detriment)
    I often wonder how many in Bray know that the Carlisle Grounds are named after the 5th Earl of Carlisle who was Viceroy of Ireland in the 1780s?

363px-Reynolds123.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Howard,_5th_Earl_of_Carlisle

More importantly I sometimes wonder how many in Bray actually know there is football played there considering the number who live in the town and the number who regularly go to the games....

Advertisement