Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this seem legal...

Options
  • 02-09-2011 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭

Right, I've often seen and been asked if people can look in skips to take stuff. I seen it happen for years.

But is it right for the people to dress up to look like they are from an offical company??

Ive just seen 2 people in an old eircom van with hi-vis jackets on them. The eircom logo was taken off the van and the company logo was cut away from the back of the jackets.

Is it ok, or has anyone else seen this type of deception? Is is ok to appear 'offical' when you clearly arent? Is it legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

FluffyCat wrote: »
    Right, I've often seen and been asked if people can look in skips to take stuff. I seen it happen for years.

But is it right for the people to dress up to look like they are from an offical company??

Ive just seen 2 people in an old eircom van with hi-vis jackets on them. The eircom logo was taken off the van and the company logo was cut away from the back of the jackets.

Is it ok, or has anyone else seen this type of deception? Is is ok to appear 'offical' when you clearly arent? Is it legal?

What deception are you reffering to? Two people in high vis jackets in an ex eircom van are taking stuff from a skip. Do you have to be offical Eircom employees to pilfer junk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

What deception are you reffering to? Two people in high vis jackets in an ex eircom van are taking stuff from a skip. Do you have to be offical Eircom employees to pilfer junk?

I mean driving around estates and then robbing. These people didnt ask if they could take stuff but no one batted an eyelid because they looked 'offical'. Thats all.

I mean driving around estates and then robbing. These people didnt ask if they could take stuff but no one batted an eyelid because they looked 'offical'. Thats all.

Im not sure that taking stuff out of skip is robbing. And if it was, what difference would it make if they looked 'official', surely it is still theft. Are there official's whose job it is to mooch around peoples skips??

Have you met the wallet inspector yet?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I am no defender of a certain 'community' but this to me sounds like sour grapes. What you really mean is....

"If I had have known that the stuff I was dumping in a skip to be sent off to landfill was worth something........"

That said, the problem with said community with their contacts in the skip hire businesses where they get the customer lists is that the stuff they take that ends up not being of value after all ends up on the side of the road rather than going into another skip.

I actually love when someone knocks and asks for something out of the skip. I feel less guilty for dumping it and am happy that its being recycled in some way and guess what...........now theres more room in the skip for more cr@p!! Everyone is a winner!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Cannot say I agree with the OP but I do have an issue with people opening gates and coming into driveways and rooting in skips.

I am not concerned with anybody taking items from a skip when it is out on the public road. More concerned with others dumping items in. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

When I left me almost empty skip in the drive overnight it was nearly full the next morning. TBH I'd have loved these guys to call by and take instead of my neighbours "giving" generously during the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I think we all know that the op is talking about "travellers " here...Theyre constantly in our estate..kerb crawling around, looking for something to "re-cycle"..;)
    It seems that if they throw on a hi-viz jacket that this in some way gives them the right to enter your property without asking...
    Most of the time they're just looking for metal....If you're worried about them take the reg no of the van just in case your neighbours patio furniture goes missing..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,345 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There's easy money in metal at the moment - and the yards couldn't give a toss where it comes from. They pay cash for it, no questions asked (unlike the UK which is clamping down on this). I wouldn't think it's necessarily one section of the community responsible, going on who I see going in though.

On the op, I'm not sure I see the problem with skip diving per se, but would be uncomfortable with people going up my drive uninvited - only takes a knock on the door or a note through the letter box out of courtsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sids Not wrote: »
    I think we all know that the op is talking about "travellers " here...Theyre constantly in our estate..kerb crawling around, looking for something to "re-cycle"..;)
    It seems that if they throw on a hi-viz jacket that this in some way gives them the right to enter your property without asking...
    Most of the time they're just looking for metal....If you're worried about them take the reg no of the van just in case your neighbours patio furniture goes missing..;)

The op never mentioned travellers and this forum will not be used for lazy stereotyping and blaming of travellers for stealing.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Who says thay they are "robbing"? If stuff is going into a skip it is fair game if someone wants to take it imo.

If you want a legal opinion on the situation then consult a solicitor as it is forbidden to seek or provide legal advice on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Lots of vans where i live going around looking in skips most do ask if said skip is in garden, the price of scrap metal is very good these days also you would be surprised with what people throw out as rubbish, One mans rubbish is another mans something or another :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I got a knock on my door one day from a large lady asking could she look in my skip, I was nosing out the window to see what she was taking. Was quite funny to see her trying to squeeze into my size 3 boots. I have no problem with it as long as they ask. But wearing the hi vis jackets is a bit misleading but as they are not impersonating anyone by claiming they are from company X, not much you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭.243

Who says thay they are "robbing"? If stuff is going into a skip it is fair game if someone wants to take it imo.
    of course they are robbing :rolleyes:,why do people have this notion that just because its in a skip that its"fair game",the property that goes into a skip remains the skip customers property until it is paid for to be removed,you wouldnt be too impressed to come out of your house see someone rooting through your car for stuff if you left it open while filling it up to go to the recylicing centre

.243 wrote: »
    of course they are robbing :rolleyes:,why do people have this notion that just because its in a skip that its"fair game",the property that goes into a skip remains the skip customers property until it is paid for to be removed,you wouldnt be too impressed to come out of your house see someone rooting through your car for stuff if you left it open while filling it up to go to the recylicing centre

Firstly if you wanted to keep it, why put it in a skip?
    Secondly, the more they take out, the more space you have to fill it, they are doing you a favour, you are paying for the space after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭.243

Firstly if you wanted to keep it, why put it in a skip?
    Secondly, the more they take out, the more space you have to fill it, they are doing you a favour, you are paying for the space after all.

its not your property to take out,its either the property of the person who ordered the skip or the skip company,
    you dont see them rooting through your wheelie bins taking stuff out but you pay for that space too

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Zebbedee

If they were to slice their hand open on a rusty piece of old metal in the skip in your drive or on the road outside your house/premises
    would they be able to claim compensation from you?

Advertisement