Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Upgrading roads unnecessarily

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

OR are these roads utterly banjaxed since the harsh winter last year which isnt visible on google street view?

I don't know the road in question but the google streetview & earth images are not taken frequently enough to trust them for making these kind of judgments. I know that the Google earth images in and around Galway city are about 2 years out of date (the giveaway is the apparent lack of progress on the structures on the motorway, which were a bit more advanced than these images suggest).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭source

Following on from the tender notice that the old N80 is going to have a loads of resurfacing work done on it, heres the road at Ashfield on Google streetview looking in mint condition especially for what is now a Regional Road!!
    http://maps.google.de/maps?q=Clara+Rd,+Tullamore,+County+Offaly,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=53.322508,-7.577931&spn=0.08695,0.222988&sll=51.151786,10.415039&sspn=7.307413,14.941406&geocode=FToOLQMdEXWN_w&t=h&z=13&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.322508,-7.577931&panoid=0OCHRjX1aJ2anduUZUvo5Q&cbp=12,127.9,,0,10.53

How can perfectly good roads like that be getting great money spent on them in these economic times?

It reminds me of the shenagins in the 80s when perfectly good straight roads were very impressively widened to the last and turned into something resembling an airport runway - whilst the worst of twisty parts of the same roads were left well alone. But in those money strapped times the politicans could show a shiny new road as their legacy, so a worthwhile effort you'll have to agree!

So is re-surfacing perfectly good roads to make an impression (to voters?) the 2011 equivalent of this?

OR are these roads utterly banjaxed since the harsh winter last year which isnt visible on google street view?

Unfortunately we have a system where if the money in a departments budget isn't used up in a financial year, then they get less the following year. This is why you see roads getting upgrades that aren't necessary up and down the country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

source wrote: »
    Unfortunately we have a system where if the money in a departments budget isn't used up in a financial year, then they get less the following year. This is why you see roads getting upgrades that aren't necessary up and down the country.
    This has never happened in the history of this country.

spacetweek wrote: »
    This has never happened in the history of this country.

What are you talking about? It happens annually, every year at the end of the financial year you see the crews out fixing up roads that are fine.

It's a well known phenomenon in the public sector that if budgets aren't spent the department/organisation gets less the following year.

A perfect example of this is the Condell Road in Limerick. A pedestrian crossing was put on the road, including traffic lights, road painting and traffic islands. All this happened despite plans that existed at the time to change the road layout so it included a bus lane, cycle lanes and two lanes of traffic, and a traffic light controlled junction further in the road.

Then less than a year later, the work was ripped up to make way for the plans that had existed at the time of construction.

I also see roads being resurfaced that are in decent condition. Now don't get me wrong, I love driving on new roads and smooth surfaces. But to deny a practice exists when it blatantly does is folly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

What are you talking about? It happens annually, every year at the end of the financial year you see the crews out fixing up roads that are fine.

sarcasm possibly?

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    sarcasm possibly?

If it is, we could really do with a sarcasm smiley around here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

If it is, we could really do with a sarcasm smiley around here.
    I wasn't being sarcastic. What you describe on the Condell road is more likely poor organisation that a desire to unnecessarily upgrade roads.
    Considering that road surfaces are usually poor in Ireland, it's very rare that a resurfacing job would be a waste of time. Many of them go 25 years with no redressing.

Advertisement