Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

did anyone apply for the law course here?

• 21-08-2011 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

i applied for the law course here the points are 145 ? why are the so low?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dean27

I also applied for this course. It was first place in my level 7 courses. The reason I believe that it is such low points falls down to three main factors:

1/it's a level 7 course
    2/ it's in an IT in a relatively small, backward place. Points would be double that at least for the exact same course in say DIT
    3/ there are 100 places available on the course, which is quite a large number. This lowers competition, hence the low points

I could be wrong on this as I'm just speculating, however it would make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 irishblueberry

when i saw it i was like wow!

are you waiting for cao offer?

Yes, If I do decide to go on to third level education this is the course I will more than likely take, otherwise it's off to Oz for me. There's going to be a big decision to make in the next 24 hours or so. Who knows , we may cross paths in LYIT yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

The points for course are based on demand for the course nothing else, the reasons for the low points or low demand could be anything. But i'd bet it's cos Letterkenny smells of wee :P

A mate of mine told me he went through LK a few times " All thats in it is two roundabouts " but im not going there for anything other than the education everything else is gravy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

dean27 wrote: »
    I also applied for this course. It was first place in my level 7 courses. The reason I believe that it is such low points falls down to three main factors:

1/it's a level 7 course
    2/ it's in an IT in a relatively small, backward place. Points would be double that at least for the exact same course in say DIT
    3/ there are 100 places available on the course, which is quite a large number. This lowers competition, hence the low points

say what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Theres way more than 100 places in that course btw.

I don't think i'd do well in a class of over 100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

2/ it's in an IT in a relatively small, backward place.

LYIT is a fairly advanced college. when i was there, there were no shortage of computers anywhere. bet you dont find that in most colleges.

letterkenny and donegal are amazing places, and the nightlife is fantastic there.

I don't think i'd do well in a class of over 100

They are split into different groups.

• Advertisement

lila44 wrote: »
    say what?
    Well I do conceed , the night life is decent , the amenities are substantial. Although being from Donegal and frequently visiting Letterkenny, I can assure you all that it is not the most advanced , metropolitan HUB out there. The 'red necks' touring about in their 'yoks' all day, as well as uneducated drunken delinquents see to that. I suppose you get them everywhere, it's just Letterkenny seems to have a severe problem with them.

LYIT is a fairly advanced college. when i was there, there were no shortage of computers anywhere. bet you dont find that in most colleges.

I'd say your right cos i hear noting but bitching about DIT (mentioned above) when it comes to facilities and the general state of the IT. LYIT has what seems to be a really good campus with free gym, extra learning center for physics/maths and chemistry, where any student can just rock up and ask questions or get extra help with any of the mentioned subjects. Loads of societies and clubs etc etc.

A mate of mine told me he went through LK a few times " All thats in it is two roundabouts " but im not going there for anything other than the education everything else is gravy :D

By any chance was the last time your mate was in Letterkenny in the 20th century? over the past, I'd say 10 years Letterkenny has come on leaps and bounds. It has 2 shopping centres ,a large retail park , many highly rated night clubs , as well as many superb hotels. The only thing that is stopping it from being a city is the lack of an airport. FACT: Letterkenny was (is?) the fastest growing town in Europe. None the less, it would still seem like an oversized farm if your from Dublin or another city. I know this as I myself am from Edinburgh.

Two roundabouts? There must be a least fifteen. And plenty more besides...

By any chance was the last time your mate was in Letterkenny in the 20th century? over the past, I'd say 10 years Letterkenny has come on leaps and bounds. It has 2 shopping centres ,a large retail park , many highly rated night clubs , as well as many superb hotels. The only thing that is stopping it from being a city is the lack of an airport. FACT: Letterkenny was (is?) the fastest growing town in Europe. None the less, it would still seem like an oversized farm if your from Dublin or another city. I know this as I myself am from Edinburgh.

Yeah,ok,then......think he was being sarcastic mate.

Yeah,ok,then......think he was being sarcastic mate.

I grasped that much. Just assuring you that Letterkenny is not a bypass to somewhere else, it is the main town of Donegal. Although not being the biggest of places , you will certainly have more to do than drive between roundabouts. :p

P.s I think we should get back to the topic now. It has went from the OP's actual question, to a debate on the standard and size of Letterkenny.

I grasped that much. Just assuring you that Letterkenny is not a bypass to somewhere else, it is the main town of Donegal. Although not being the biggest of places , you will certainly have more to do than drive between roundabouts. :p

Ragging on me now cos i've no car hahahahahahah

Moving to 'LK'? You need a car to go touring man/girlie!

gooch2k9 wrote: »

Ha , yeah you will need a car to go to what I see is gooch2k9's residence , manorcunningham ,or just 'manor' as it's better known. Some spot for diffin' sir! If your in to that type of thing that is ha.

gooch2k9 wrote: »

Yeah mate im looking to buy an auld banger someit like this would be the business http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=571434&r=s.php%3Fe%3D2000%26nx%3D6%26g%3D0

• Advertisement

hey guys/girls, dont wanna be a buzz kill here, but keep it on topic.

more than welcome to start a new thread for discussing other topics, but this is for people applying for the law course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Clown. There might be some sort of a Fas scheme for you.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Clown. There might be some sort of a Fas scheme for you.

go eat some books philistine

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

does it really matter in the overall scheme of things?

the college is well equiped, the rent is cheaper than larger towns, the nitelife is great.

your going there for an education after all... 3 or 4 years doesnt be long passing

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

Points are low indeed, ive heard from people in the course that its a joke of a course and looked down upon vs. Law in a university, you could be up against those guys for jobs, plus the incredibly high drop out rate in LYIT, something very dodgy about it all. Having said that, LYIT is one of the best equipped campuses ive ever seen, but as for the course, i dunno, best ask someone who did it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bronagh93

Points are low indeed, ive heard from people in the course that its a joke of a course and looked down upon vs. Law in a university, you could be up against those guys for jobs, plus the incredibly high drop out rate in LYIT, something very dodgy about it all. Having said that, LYIT is one of the best equipped campuses ive ever seen, but as for the course, i dunno, best ask someone who did it

I'm pretty sure if you're willing to work on the course, it shouldn't matter where you take it. The high drop out rate is probably because of the low points it requires to get in.

And yeah, I just accepted an offer for here today. :)

Just accepted an offer for this course myself. Now to go out and sort some accomodation out tomorrow.

Just accepted an offer for this course myself. Now to go out and sort some accomodation out tomorrow.
    I got a place but live like 5 hours away.....

I was in the same situation as yourself.
    from tipp, got my course in lyit, and didnt have a clue about accomodation.

i went to ballyraine halls for first year, loved it there, met tons of great people and its a 4-5 minute walk to the college.

excellent rates and the apartments are very decent.

• Advertisement

I was in the same situation as yourself.
    from tipp, got my course in lyit, and didnt have a clue about accomodation.

i went to ballyraine halls for first year, loved it there, met tons of great people and its a 4-5 minute walk to the college.

excellent rates and the apartments are very decent.
    Thanks I'll check it out :D

Advertisement